Are the JBL 530's still Endgame?

You can use it as your line out for the dac. Does it have a pre out or line out? Edit, it’s actually a pre out

So could you test something for me if you can? Does the unit when in usb mode output a variable signal through the rca outs?

It should be able to- don’t have rcas handy right now as I use it with my headphones but will update you when I get a chance. Thanks.

So I have an opportunity to buy the Marantz HD-AMP1 for 599 - worth the price? It should easily be able to drive the jbls and has a built in dac. The reviews seem great from what I’ve been reading although its seems it will be discontinued soon if if has not been already. May just save the deckard for my headphones or sell it.

That’s still a bit much imo, but it should be able to drive the 530 no problem and the dac is fairly solid in there

That amplifier is not very powerful at 35W at 8ohm. The studio 530s are pretty power hungry. Are you using it for a desk, or a room?

That should be enough on a desk, but for a room I would agree you might want more

Ive heard all good things about this amp, has a dac, and 60wpc at 8 ohm https://www.crutchfield.com/p_779CXA60B/Cambridge-Audio-CXA60-Black.html

At that price I personally prefer the denon pma800ne, a killer amp they put out recently that I think outperforms the cambridge

1 Like

Cambridge has more power and less distortion.

It also doesn’t sound as good to the ear, specs are not everything

Ah NVM then.

It’s still solid tho, it just didn’t preform as well as the denons did when I got to listen to them both at a dealer

Thanks, yes I was thinking the Cambridge cx60a as well but this has the usb input, looks great/compact and is a good discount from the original (albiet overpriced) price. Was also looking at the Denon PMA-600NE ($400) and Onkyo A-9110 ($299) - but both need a seperate DAC and are out of stock until next month. So the consensus is that the amp1 is underpowered for the 530s??

The 600ne has a built in dac that’s actually pretty good, can recommend

I would say you would really be pushing it if you wanted to use them in a room but on a desk you may be fine, but I do think that the amp1 isn’t the best match for these speakers

Gotcha - do you mean its not a good fit in terms of the tonality or the power? I’d be using it mainly in a smaller room/office. Seems the denon only handles 192 kHz/24 bit vs 32-bit/384 kHz for the AMP1, but more than enough for tidal MQA. Guess I’ll pass on the AMP1s then and wait for the others to come back in stock…

Hmmm, in that case, I do think the amp1 is pretty nice, but if you wanted to get loud it might not be the best pick, you might be a bit limited on headroom if you wanted to push them (so power basically)

1 Like

I really think 50WPC is great for a desk/small room. I’m using a FOSI HD-A1 (50w/c at 8 ohm) to power my 530s right now on my desk. Plenty of room to get loud and have some headroom for dynamics. But for a big room, even 50wpc isn’t enough to get really loud.

2 Likes

Hmm well maybe I’ll give it a go then! I have a wife and toddler at home so cant get too loud these days :slight_smile: But I do have a tower/sub setup in the basement for when I really want to party :slight_smile: The speakers would be in my office/sitting room on speaker stands - so would not be in my face on the desktop, but more for intimate//private listening to enjoy my music/read on a listening char. If I don’t like it I’ll eat the return fees and maybe by that time the denons/onkyo will be in stock.

Doesn’t sound like a bad idea, should still be pretty nice

Well, I can honestly say that the hype and great reviews about these speakers are legit. Just got them in today, threw them on 16” stands on top of SVS PB 1000’s, powered by Outlaw Audio RR2160, in my living room 20x15 and 10’ ceilings. Wow! Haven’t turned them up yet (wife is sleeping in next room over), but so far I am impressed. Exceeded expectations. These are going on my desk for awhile.

1 Like