ASIO taking over my DAC

I noticed since I started using ASIO that programs takeover my DAC. programs like my foobar2000, qobuz, Amazon Music. When i try to switch over to YouTube it won’t play anything until I close out those programs and shut down and restart my DAC. does anyone have a way around this?

That’s how asio just works, same with wasapi. It is an exclusive mode that doesn’t allow for other programs to access your dac

1 Like

Use directsound if you want to listen to other things at the same time, are multitasking, or just for convenience.

would i have to turn off aiso to use direct sound? how do i turn off aiso? lol

It gives the program exclusive direct access to the DAC so none of the Windows mixing can interfere with the sound.

For foobar you just need to go into your output settings and set it to directsound. I don’t use qobuz or amazon music so I don’t know the exact processes

I don’t think amazon music supports ASIO or WASAPI, if it does I need to update mine apparently.

Could also work arround by having a virtual audio device talk to the DAC in ASIO, so every application just talks to the virtual device.

One such software: https://www.vb-audio.com/Cable/

I mean you can, but tbh that kinda defeats the benefits of asio. I would just stick to directsound and not really worry about it

ok, so how do i get rid of aiso, or turn it off? it came with my SU8 DAC driver

You don’t want to get rid of the driver, just disable asio mode in the programs

1 Like