Astell & Kern KANN Alpha

Seems to be in between the kann and the cube, looks interesting

https://www.astellnkern.com/eng/content/shop/features.asp?mcg=CG110000&mpos=0&scg=CG210210&spos=3&tcg=&tpos=0&gcode=SC36280

2 Likes

For those who haven’t followed the A&K line, it started out with all-purpose models like the AK240 that Tyll owned and used. But it now has grown into a more IEM-focused premium line with the wonky screen angle, plus a more normal, more-affordable smartphone-like IEM-focused line, plus an over-ear-focused line called KANN after the original model.

The original KANN model was reportedly developed by a separate design team and has received some favourable sound-quality reviews from reviewers who were lukewarm about the lower-powered models. It has a hefty battery built-in that gives it the thickness and heft of the smartphone + amp/dac strap-on pairing that many routinely used.

The second model in the KANN line is called the Cube and goes beyond the original model to push the limits of what can be called portable. Apparently, in urban Asia even fairly wealthy folk live in cramped apartments with space at a premium. The theory is that the Cube is meant to be a full no-holds-barred source, amp and dac separates replacement that can be used both home and office with fairly hungry over-ears.

This latest model, the Alpha, looks to revert back to the hefty-but-pocketable original KANN form-factor but with new whiz-bang technicals.

2 Likes

It’s a pretty beefy player that drives iems very well and can handle full size when it needs to

The cube is really great for headphones, really beefy and it is indeed a desktop replacement product for sure, seems like the alpha is closer to the cube than the og

Very interested to hear the alpha, although I’m a bit less interested in the kann line now that I have the dx220 max for headphones, still looks pretty sweet

1 Like

Anybody got it?

Checking again 2 months later

Did you end up getting the Kann Alpha @luige06 ?

I’m looking at possibly picking up one myself, or getting the SR25

I did get it and honestly it’s just too big and heavy, sharp, and fat.

Also the interface is ridiculously slow.

I definitely see why the M15 is the one trending on YouTube and not the Kann Alpha. Will probably be selling it.

Ah, I’ve personally got the sr25 now and find the ui to be relatively ok, can be a bit clunky at times though.

I don’t think the size would bother me personally, I do get the sharpness of the build since the sr25 is the same, I’ll likely get a case for it so that it won’t bother me

I think it appeal of the M15 is that it will line right up with a phone in your pocket and that it has full and decently smooth android including all streaming services and neutron, etc.

I think the reasonable comparison with the Kann Alpha is that overheating issues aren’t really existent as far as I can tell.

I run full gain often because I noticed after a bit of testing that it gives a natural bass boost through sufficient power in even pretty sensitive over ear models.

I just always hear that doing that with the M15 will give you a hot pocket :rofl:

I think the biggest annoyance physio is actually the weight. You better wear a belt with this thing!

any impressions so far? there was a relatively cheap one on second hand market but I missed my chance to buy. So I don’t know how should I feel.