AT-M40x, AMP/DAC Questions

Generally all in the same signature.

IFI Zen Dac for combo potentially one of the Schiit fulla or hel. Seperate unit Liquid Spark. This is due to their warmer type of sound signature and being able to dial in the treble while maintaining clean detail. Though the schiit are more just well rounded and somewhat analytical in sound. Good for just general purpose imo

Depends on the audio codec of the phone… I can drive mine pretty well on the phone without need of a portable DAP.

I wouldn’t honestly buy both an m40x and a 770 though… The three you listed are all V signatures. You would want headphones of a different signature to compliment one another. Otherwise you’d be better off buying the 1 headphone for just general use.

1 Like

Alright, well I got a DAC/AMP combo: the Schiit Hel. And I seem to be having a bit of an issue.

I have the power hooked up, USB connection hooked between it and the computer, the 1/4 to 1/8 adapter plugged in and the computer recognizes it. I can get sound to play, but the audio is really messed up: overall the audio sounds like it’s in a bathroom and located some distance away.

I tried plugging in some V-MODA Crossfades for reference, which had the same audio issue. Then I tried some generic earbuds that came with my samsung phone to see if anything would change: same issue.

I plugged both the VMODAs and the earbuds into my phone with the same song and they play it just fine: am I missing something or is the Schiit Hel possibly broken? I just got it in the mail today.

Make sure Windows is not messing up (super low bitrate, wierd “audio improvements”, etc.), after that, time to open a ticket with them.

Found the problem, the VMODA cables and samsung wired earbuds had mic connections. I wasn’t using the headphone/mic splitter cable that came with the product. Now that I’m using the splitter the audio sounds great and LOUD :grimacing:

But I really like it! Waiting on the M40x’s (arriving tomorrow) and the cowhide earmuffs whenever they come in!

2 Likes

Yeah, well, obviously :upside_down_face:

Was hoping for an update on how this setup is working? I have been debating on doing something similar as you just did. I currently have an X3 dac/amp but was looking at the M40x or MT5 also.

Hello Scipio!

I absolutely love the setup: the cow leather ear muffs really make all the difference and it is indeed very soft yet at the same time firm. Sound isolation is pretty good with said ear muffs and using Equalizer REALLY makes the sound shine the way you want it to. I would say they’re actually necessary for the M40x: the ones that come with the headset actually hurt my ears after a while and the sound is really different with that cheap material. Also the cow leather doesn’t make me sweat nor does it rub off.

Never had a connection issue and I’ve dropped them a few times from the computer table onto carpet; no damage so far.

The shorter cable doesn’t do anything noticeable sound-wise, but it’s nice to have cause the extra long cable that comes with the cans sometimes feel like they get in the way. Both are good to have for different reasons.

I don’t know how they’ll work with your dac/amp combo there but it’ll probably be fine. Just use Equalizer and tweak the settings to your liking. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the quick response and info. Hope I have a similar experience when I pull the trigger on a set.