ATMOS/spatial audio

Any track in particular ? Thanks for the reference on the album and which heaphones are sounding good with atmos. :grin:

1 Like

Not atmos/spatial but another forum is promoting the artist heavy and recommended using the dolby upmixer.

2 Likes

What i take from this is bittersweet, catalog titles will not sound awesome, its the new music that will get the WOW. And im going to need watts and equipment that specs with as many THD+N .00000 i can afford ? Get the sense the audiophile market wants to kill multichannel with fire.

Sound mixers seem to be saying atmos is more high fidelity than stereo. Because of the way atmos has to be mixed the streaming services are requiring the recording level is a -18db standard, striking a massive blow to the loudness war.

The surround information / format and recording has its own requirements that needs to be in place. The effects just will not work if the audio information is different and downgrading seems to be the way for other usage.
Like they mentioned it you get the most with speakers and surrounds setups from the audio.
It’s not ideal or that good with headphones/IEM’s.
I mean you can take a lada to a race track but
 well you all know what it would be with a real race car.

1 Like

you’d be surprised how much atmos stuff is actually mixed for a binaural 2 channel for headphones. you can easily get a full surround effect out of headphones if the mix is done right.

1 Like

Few thoughts

Apparently amazon and apple are throwing a tonne of money at this but im wondering if the pushback by the recording side is misplaced somewhat. Are we paying $9.99-$12.99 for hi-res music or is the atmos mix being subsidized by the high resolution feature?
The vibe im getting is apple and amazon are going after the tidels and spodifys. apple already has their hardware through apple products and guessing amazon will be coming out with amazon brand gear for the masses.

So for the tiny hifi community, the DAC makers only have to add the atmos decoder and dump MQA ?

If this is the new standard what will this mean for audiophile gear when all adjectives to sell stuff is DSPed in the recording ?

For sure, That was not the point. :slight_smile:
I can code have tested Atmos information into headphones but and it’s a big BUT comparing to a reference grade surround setup. They arent even in the same comparison. Even with good surround.
It’s nice but there is so much more outside the head area, not just how you hear it but how you feel it. You could watch a race from monitor/TV but being in the actual track. There really is no comparison between.

1 Like

How about a new tech that combines a type of headphone earbud device together with a type of speaker to get the sense of distance/height from a headphone and movement/dynamics from a speaker? Bluetooth omni speaker each corner or around the listening area ?

Well that is intriguing. When I read your post I immediately got a visual in my mind of what that might be like. This opens up a lot of possibilities I think, especially for gaming where if you add some sensors the system can tell where you are in the “bubble”

1 Like

The sound mixers seem to be onboard and ready to crank out content for gamers and music. On an apple tech site the company has glasses theyre going to bring to market. the music video/album might make a comback. A fan upscaled bunch of pink floyd videos to 4k. Wait for the 8k 3D AR VR atmos binaural stuff to come out.

More gear to buy ofcourse.

So I am playing with headphones tonight! Trying different combinations and such. It’s a lot of fun! But this Dolby Atmos for headphones - It’s doing things I can’t really explain. But I’m liking it - a lot. The intelligent EQ is doing a fantastic job. I threw a monster tune on the Sundaras and it’s freakin fantastic!

And I have to say that this TA-20 is an under rated piece. I really like the 12AU7 tube, and the Class A amp stage does a great job. I enjoy the hybrid architecture.

But this Dolby - ‘Tis the shit, Ollie! I’m diggin’ it.

Had a notification yesterday that “Atmos headphones” is available for free and for 4 days.
Atmos software on PC / windows.

2 Likes
1 Like