ATMOS/spatial audio

Think we need a surround/binaural thread. Did the world change overnight? Now that some time has past since amazon and apple launched atmos/spatial anybody converted or is it just me and another member?

1 Like

For movies this might be okay and maybe for classical music this can sound great to get more impression of the stage.
But purely for listening to music I don’t think it’s worth paying attention to.

1 Like

It went from a handful of examples to bewildering pile to dig through. Found this, my home theater sounds like a giant set of headphones but with bass shakers. Can headphones do bass like subs ? Learned that speakers cant reproduce depth of field like a headphone but headphones can reproduce bass like a speaker?

One of the best demo examples i have is a Churches Pipe organ playing.
Every echo and hard rock wall’s where sound travels around the listener.

By closing your eyes, you could literally be in a big old rock Church and listen how the pipe organs play.
Except not sitting in a super hard and uncomfortable wood bench…
From my experience. Headphones do not even close in overall experience.
You just feel vibrations and sound surrounding you of the organs low notes.

1 Like

Maybe a combination somehow of headphone and speaker as the tech progresses? Just got a new 12in sub im at .3 thinking of going .4
For giggles i might gather all the subs in the house :crazy_face:

1 Like

Just listening to this album

On my IER Z1R’s and I prefer Ultra HD compared to Atmos, the Atmos sacrifices slam and timbre even when volume matched for soundstage shenanigans which is not something lacking on the Z1R’s…on the 7hz Timeless I like Atoms so it may well come down to transducer preferences :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Listening to that album earlier, going back to hear more tracks through speakers.
Atmos is delivered in 48/24 and limited to -18 DB standard for mastering. If im understanding whats happining is the home theater 7.1.4/9.1.6 for now is the best playback for ATMOS but not for binaural which makes sense, the format was created for movies. headphones will overtake speakers as the tech ramps up.
Theres no standard at the moment on the recording side some engineers are doing 3 mixes for each track. Stereo 7.1.4/9.1.6 and binaural.

One of the podcasts the engineer messed me up. He talk about depth of field only headphones can simulate distance speakers connot. Sigh, more gear to buy.

1 Like

Thought this would be interesting for the hifi guides.

I noticed the 24/48 as well. As soon as you improve things to say 24/192 things reset and then the Dolby Atmos drops out. You either have to reset the spatial audio or dial it back it 24/48. I just reset.

1 Like

On apply tv its got a rev limiter 48/24, order me a dingle dongle on black friday so i can play 192/24.

Well, after much deliberation I went ahead and purchased Dolby Atmos for Headphones. 15 bucks is pretty cheap and I really like what it’s doing. As long as I can defeat it, which I can at will, it’s a great addition. But so far I don’t want to. Peace EQ is now gone. I may change things up again in the future, but this is how I want it for now. I really am enjoying what the Dolby is doing for the music.

Man i got to put together a headphone setup. Maybe a christmas gift to myself.

On apple spatial audio is free.

1 Like

On the Amazon mobile app Dolby Atmos for headphones is baked into the app. But of course, not the case for PC/Win10. That’s OK, it’s a nominal fee for happiness making. No regerts!

:laughing:

1 Like

Saw that on wondows. I think on the PC you just download for free and headphones you got to buy if im not mistaken. So its the other way around,no?
I remember playing around with atmos on windows trying out the samples, falling leaves demo and the animated space girl.

Here is what’s on offer:

Of course the other option is for Dolby Atmos enabled home theater, sound bars or TVs. The demos they have now are pretty sick! So far I have only tried a few, and have been thoroughly mind boggled as to how the heck they are doing that. As mentioned, I am also very impressed by the music that it is delivering to my headphones.

1 Like

Hmm i think its a free download on window 10. On apple its an update on phones ipads and apple tv. :thinking: ill see on my laptop could sworn i dowloaded the app free.

I think I also did the original app via free download. Which led to the free trial. Which led to… well, you know. HA! I’m glad I got it. It has delivered a god deal of enjoyment already.

1 Like

people have been reporting most of the mixes have been tame, so far i agree. But the dance/electonica/alternative stuff are using discrete audio the most, havent even listened to 10% of whats available, its awesome.

More feedback from the recording industry on atmos/spatial audio.

Man, this is freaky good. I am using my V40 as a self-powered streamer (no AC input) feeding the SU-8, coming out balanced to the SP200. The new 660’s are on the job again.

This Dolby Atmos is freaky good. I have this going at the moment

The sound signature is this buttery sphere of spatial goodness. I had no idea the 660’s could slam like this, but they are. The stage seems to be much larger and richer now, things are happening outside the headphones. Dare I say it - It’s frickin fantastic. I forgot how good this SU-8 was. I’m playing with the filters and I’m lockin in a killer sound right now. But the Atmos is what is blowing my mind at the moment.

I really hope they come with much more of this Atmos content. This is fun!

AMUHD Dolby Atmos > LG V40 > SMSL SU-8 > SMSL SP200 > Sennheiser HD 660 S

1 Like