Audeze Announces Penrose for Console Gaming

lol wtf why so cheap?? haha. That’s okay the orbit S is on sale in the used area for $258

though legit this could be useful for my older bro… he is more of a console gamer (PS3, PS4, Probably Switch, Possibly PS5, etc) and not an audiophile… so a good headphone for console gaming would be very awesome…

that or getting him a decent speaker set

between this and the steel series arctis Pro + gamedac have some of the best sound I have tried so far of the actual headsets. Though they have aged so not sure if theres a better alternative. If this is the same tuning not sure why you wouldn’t just pick up the mobius instead since you can get it cheaper

Think I will keep a close eye on this “penrose” to see if theres truly a lot of differences and how it turns out. A gaming planar is always interesting

When will Penrose ship?

1. We expect to start shipping Penrose in early September 2020

If someone picks these up let me know your thoughts please.

some people really dont like the mobius due to its build, its gimmicks, the lack of apt-X, and sound compared to audeze products

1 Like

Hmm, I see why they created this now… I really didn’t think about it one of the biggest issues people had with the mobius was the latency it had and it just generally wasn’t very good it was decent and still better than most of the gaming headsets on the market. Penrose aims to solve the issues by making it lossless and getting rid of the niche 3d tracking… though the 3d surround feature was neat headtracking was pointless… Hopefully this is a good idea. Only will know when it finally comes out. The orbit didn’t have the latency issues because it was wired directly and not wireless…so it could still use amps and what not plus the cable was detachable… I would assume you could make it into a lossless bluetooth through a low latency bluetooth dongle or something

Looks like it’s either lossless/lag-less wifi (with their own playstation dongle or xbox dongle for the Penrose X) or… Bluetooth but no LDAC/AptX or even AptX-LL. But it can also be wired.

Depending on where VR goes, it may be very pointy.

That is very true. though for right now… ehhh? Not so much. Least not in my opinion.

1 Like

Got this in today. So far I’m happy with it. The headphones need EQ to sound great but there’s not a bunch of weird distortion. The Audeze app sucks compared to iCue (an achievement of sorts) simply because you have to connect the headphone to your computer before you can make changes and you can only use whole values for the EQ (granted, this is an improvement over iCue where it doesn’t tell you how much you’re boosting each band by, but you have to guess based on what the slider looks like). The microphone is probably passable, but I’m used to a El Gato on my desk and the mic on the Corsair Virtuoso SE. My friends tell me they can still understand me, but it doesn’t sound right. Imaging was accurate as was instrument separation. Great gaming headset, if not perfect. This is what I’ll use if I don’t want to use L700 or HD800s for gaming.