šŸ”¶ Audeze LCD-5

What does this mean?
First newā€¦tech? driver ? etc?
From Audeze??

Thanks

Several reviews out there already:

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/1121/Audeze_LCD5_Planar_Magnetic_Headphones_Review.htm

2 Likes

You forgot batteries make a difference!

This might be controversial, but owning all Audeze releases this year, I think my favorite is LCD-R followed by CRBN, LCD5 and LCDX 21.

Best value obviously the LCDX, but LCDR was also spectacular value.

LCD5 however is the best tuned theyā€™ve ever released, but a bit emotionless especially without a warmer source or tubes

1 Like

I havenā€™t heard CRBN but I think thereā€™s a lot of truth in your other observations. The X, R, and 5 showed that Audeze is figuring out how to address some of their longstanding issues.

2 Likes

I just wish LCD5 could stage less in-head.

It still sounds decidedly like a headphone whereas Susvara, Raal & Abyss punch out of the artificial boundary and sound more speaker-like.

Even Utopia sounds more holographic and spacious than LCD5, which really surprised me. It was really hard to choose a keeper between these 2 as theyā€™re really trading blows and directly competitive, as you mention in your great review :relaxed:

1 Like

From Currowongs review stating these are like a HD-650 but better didnt make me want to spend $4500 on themā€¦but I do want to audition and here with my ears. Its the only way to really decide.

Its a great time to be in this crazy hobby!

These first impressions are good but I am not jumping out of my listening chair or selling my D8000 Pros etcā€¦Looking forward to listening to these first hand!

Alex

I was very impressed with the value of the LCD R, it might have lacked some refinement and organicness but wow it does a real lot right for the money. It is held back by the Jot it ships with, absolutely takes off with nicer source gear, but it still sounds very good with the included amp which does make it a solid one and done value

I donā€™t know how many times Iā€™ve heard that phrase applied to various new headphones lol. I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever really found a true direct upgrade to the 600/650, sure thereā€™s better out there but not anything that Iā€™d consider really a replacement for them, at least personally

Agreed picking between Utopia and LCD-5 on their total sonic merits would be tough. They trade blows, as you say. For me I think the decision would come down to fit to use case and how will they synergize with gear a potential owner already has and likes.

Yeah, I didnā€™t pick up on that. LCD-5 doesnā€™t have the warm character that the 650/6xx is reknowned for. At least not to my ear. But the LCD-5 really is among the most neutrally tuned headphones Iā€™ve heard.

Can finally spend some quality time w/ these today. Canā€™t wait.
Happy Thanksgiving if it applies to you!

9 Likes

They are really nice looking cans for sure!

1 Like

4 Likes

I have these on loan right now and initial impressions: Theyā€™re damn nice.

I canā€™t spend much time listening today but long short:

• Itā€™s more comparable to the Diana Phi than the 1266 Tc Phi.
  • LCD-5 very capable, easier to drive, and very good texture on bass.
  • If I heard the LCD-5 without owning a bunch of Abyss stuff, Iā€™d be gushing right now.
  • LCD-24 is 100% out classed here.
  • If you want headphone thatā€™s analytical in nature and basically sounding like itā€™s pretty damn close the harmon curve, this is it.
  • Head phone sounds almost flat.
  • If you ever tried the Ether CX and heard people gush how great was and now neutral it wasā€¦ the LCD-5 is EXACTLY what I was expecting out of the hype for the Ether CX.
  • Comfort is amazing. Maybe the the most comfortable Iā€™ve worn on the higher end stuff so far.
  • This headphone to me seems immune to fatiguing the listener.
  • Personally, I still prefer my Diana Phi more because it makes me feel something and more what Iā€™m looking forā€¦ but the LCD-5 sounds more analytical and sounds more like a headphone Iā€™d have as a reference over Abyss.

Lets see how this headphone shakes out over time.
Signal chain that sounds the best Iā€™ve tried: Spring 2 ā†’ GS-X Mini ā†’ LCD-5.

3 Likes

Been waiting awhile for mine to arrive. Hopefully next week or if mine is in the coming shipment this weekend.

1 Like

Iā€™m really curious to see how you like them and what source chain you will be using.

I got a bunch of requests for this, so here it is:

Enjoy!

2 Likes

I got a feeling youā€™re going love it. They take some serious time for me on the brain burn in.

So after more time and getting some serious ā€œbrain burn in timeā€ with the LCD-5, and I donā€™t know if this is a factor of some magical point of break in or something because it opened up significantly. Some findings:

• If you have a stupidly punchy and warm amp, the bass gets better. Original Cavalli Liquid Gold REALLY plays nice.
  • DAC, the Spring 2 does a better job than my Sagra.
  • MZ2: I need to put in some new Mullards in but with the GE input tubes, I get a better staging and depth than when I tried it originally. The MZ2 can really pull out the mid range.
  • Comparing to Diana Phi, I might actually prefer the LCD-5 now for some songs. The Diana Phi can have a lot going on and the LCD-5 just seems balanced and flat.

My biggest recommendation with the LCD-5 is make sure your signal chain is fun. The LCD-5 is not a fun and engaging headphone by itself because itā€™s so refined. Howeverā€¦ paired with a really engaging and exaggerated DAC and an amp that is warm with a sparkle to it leaves the LCD-5 to really appreciate your source gear.

The LCD-5 might be the one of the best performance/easy to drive headphones out there. If you donā€™t have a bass addiction and V-shapes arenā€™t your thing. Also if youā€™re sensitive to the treble spikesā€¦ the LCD-5 is one you can enjoy once the brain burn in is done. It doesnā€™t stand out as well as the Diana Phi, but where the Diana Phi impresses with itā€™s treble response and sub bass is where the Diana Phi may get fatiguing over time. The LCD-5 to me is highest performing headphone Iā€™ve tried where fatigue is virtually impossible.

3 Likes

Well I did something stupid and I donā€™t regret it. Ever spend $600 for a loaner? I spent about that much on an Arctic Cross Balanced cable (5ft).

I will say this cable helps with the highs to open up and makes the bass MUCH more pronounced. This headphone with this cable is everything I could ask for. Nowā€¦ to enjoy it for a little longer before itā€™s loaned to the next person (theyā€™re hearing this cable as well).

This cable + LCD-5 will only do 1 thing. Destroy your wallet. Donā€™t listen to it. And between this cable, the stock cable, if I had to make 1 single flagship headphone, this would be it.

For the record though, I still prefer my Diana Phi but damn.

1 Like