šŸ”¶ Audeze LCD-5

Iā€™m loving LCD 5 itā€™s midrange is something Iā€™ve been looking for and detail is amazing treble is also to my liking very natural sounding. Bass is good enough in amount not like my favorite 1266 TC. Itā€™s got a tuning making this equal to loving my 1266 and easy to drive even using my mini system in my work van. Main amps Wells Audio Dragon Level 3, Woo Audio WA5 LE gen 1 and ZMF Pendant original with upgraded chock and transformers.
My Dian TC is coming pretty soon so I might have 3 favorite headphones. Think now I shouldnā€™t have purchased Zmf epoxy resin vo and VC. My modded Atticus would be enough for my dynamic needs. Iā€™d like to sell off 6 of my headphones and just keep 6 I like.

Favorite amp for LCD 5 is tough one but Iā€™d say the Pendant.

2 Likes

I have had the lcd5 for a while now and thought I would share some thoughts.
Overall the lcd5 is very good. I canā€™t really complain about anything sonically. The build is good although doesnā€™t seem very premium (acetate cups and plastics grills). It is small and pretty solid, which I like. At first I had some gripes with clamp, but I donā€™t think I have that issue anymore.
The problem is, when trying to find a reason to justify keeping the lcd5, i.e. what unique trait does this have that my other headphones donā€™t do, I donā€™t have a very compelling answer. The midrange is a bit forward and the staging is a lot more intimate than something like the susvara. I think the lcd5 is easier to get into and enjoy; its a fun and engaging headphone. However, I think the susvara is just superior to my ears. The big difference is the staging/spatial presentation. The susvara is larger, more open, more spacious. I more clearly differentiate separation and placement and space between instruments. But the biggest thing, and the thing that the Susvara does much better than pretty much everything else (solitaire p, lcd5, meze elite, etc) is the echoing/trailing of voices/instruments across and around the stage. Basically it comes down to lcd5 has an enjoyable midrange/intimacy but the susvara is just more mature and capable with spatial information.
If I had gone with a much more affordable source chain, I wouldnā€™t be surprised if the lcd5 would preferable to me. Either way, the lcd5 is definitely still very good, and probably my go to recommendation for those that arenā€™t spending a small fortune on source gear or really enjoy a forward midrange/intimate presentation.

9 Likes

how about Sus vs. LCD5 on tubes? Do your take change a bit on that?

impressions are done with mscaler/dave ā†’ wa33

5 Likes

LCD5 on a good tube amp is definitely my preference vs it on solid state, but finding a tube amp with great dynamics and headroom is the more challenging part (costly).

I agree with @sa11297 in that the Susvara is still the planar headphone to beat - and even more so - ā€œtheā€ headphone to beat full stop personally.

As he mentions, it has this magic ability of not sounding too planar-y and this by its decay and trailing end of notes sustain, kind of like youā€™d expect from dynamic drivers.

Planars tend to be dry and fast, and hyper detailed, stop and go on a dime, but sometimes at the expense of ā€œartificializingā€ or giving a digitized glare to the sound.

I somewhat think the upper midrange dip was purposely done by HiFiMAN in order to ā€œslow downā€ the sound and remove some etch & tizz in the most finicky region of music (1.5-4kHz). The consequence of this is perhaps a bit too relaxed of a sound to some, but ultimately, Susvara can still sound fatiguing depending on the chain due to itā€™s super revealing nature.

One thing is for certain, LCD5 actually does out resolve Susvara, and thatā€™s quite the accomplishment.

2 Likes

Iā€™m assuming the MZ2 or MZ3 would be the tube amps to try with the LCD-5. I very much enjoyed it with the MZ-2. However the LCD-5 REALLY shined with the Cavalli Liquid Gold (OG).

Out of curiosity what is your source chain for the Audeze and Hifiman?

Audeze LCD-5 - The Ultimate Performance Planar?

1 Like

Happy Sunday friends! We have my impressions video on the LCD-5 Premiering today at 9 am PST.

I will share my impressions of the Flagship Planar Magnetic Audeze LCD-5. This video will focus on the build quality, design, and some of my sound impressions about the LCD-5. I purchased the LCD-5 last year when it was first released after hearing it at Can Jam, so I have had plenty of time to formulate my long-term impressions about the LCD-5 paired up with several amplifiers, as well as I have already made some sound and build quality comparisons to a couple of other flagship planar magnetic headphones in the same price range such as the DCA Stealth and most recently the Meze Elite videos which will be linked at the end of the LCD-5 Video. I hope you enjoy this video and have a wonderful rest of your weekend.

Marcello

2 Likes

A long-term look at the Audeze LCD-5.

Shootout with the Audeze LCD-5 and the legendary Focal Utopia Flagship Headphones! Which headphone will be King!?

Iā€™d like to take this chance and tell you about an amazing experience I had with guys from a company called Audeze

I lost a very expensive pair of headphones among other stuff when hurricane Ian hit Florida not too long ago. Due to the nature of my work, I was absent when that happened, but, with the help of friend, I managed to retrieve my stuff, and then we put enormous effort into desperately trying to revive the equipment by rinsing it in distilled water, and what notā€¦ Of course, having been exposed to saltwater for two days ā€“ there wasnā€™t much we could do.

Then came in the guys from Audeze. I addressed them by email seeking counsel and asking them to take the headphones in for inspection. I just wanted to know if there is any hopeā€¦ But the guys went above and beyond. They offered to replace them with a brand-new pair. I was: ā€œlike, what? Are your for real? Someone please pinch me, am I tripping or dreaming!ā€, but the guy on the other side replied: ā€œYouā€™re coolā€¦ Live long and prosper. ā€ā€¦ I honestly wasnā€™t sure if it is going to happen, but then, one day, my friend texted me I got a package, and it says Audeze on the box!

I mean, cā€™mon, who does that? Who replaces 5K$ pair of cans for you just because: "We have no problem taking care of few of our customers. "?
Sincerely, it is not like I am buying gear from them every month, so they are looking to keep my cash flowing in. I just bought something that should last me a 10+ years and most likely I will not buy anything else in a while, if everā€¦
Look, those guys spitted out that kind of money on me (me=nobody), clearly without any reasonable expectation that it is going to bring them profit in the long run. They just did it because they care. Like, there is someone over there that genuinely cares. I mean, cā€™mon, how often do you stumble upon a company that cares? No profit is involved!

If you want a good pair of headphones, a truly blissful experience that is going to give you many, many hours of unique sensation by reproducing music in a way that you couldnā€™t imagine before. It will take away stress after a long day, and if you incorporate music listening into your daily routine, you will be a happier person.
Buy from these guys!
Buy from someone that treats clients with respect and cares about them these guys will have you covered.
They will be there for you when the need arises.

Thank you Audeze, you made my year!

3 Likes

I love hearing stories like this! Good on Audeze for going above and beyond. Iā€™m happy that youā€™re okay and one step closer to being made whole. Cheers to Audeze, new headphones, and human kindness! :beers::tada:

2 Likes