Audeze LCD-GX (Shout) AUDIOPHILE GAMING HEADPHONE!

I suppose it really boils down to untapped market potential. The GX is too expensive to be a serious contender for console gamers, but because of the Mobius it might actually get discovered by people who know zilch about HiFi. And the Mobius is playing in the price ballpark as higher-end console headsets and brings sound quality to the table, but has some serious usability flaws (it’s an immature product).

I look at both and see yet another example of a revolution whose time has still not quite come. These are novel products not because of what they are, but for how they’re being marketed.

Drop and ChiFi gear are lowering the cost of entry to HiFi for a generation of people weaned on MP3s and junk audio gear. I’m certain there are millions of people out there who have no idea what quality audio is or that they could afford it because they have never experienced it. One of these days that dam is going to burst.

In the meantime, there’s little to no demand for $900 headphones among console gamers because they have absolutely no frame of reference for how sound quality scales or what you can get for your HiFi buck.

Case in point: I went up to Montana a couple months ago to help a friend I’ve known from XBox for maybe 10 years build an $8000 gaming PC. Despite being more than willing to dump 4 figures into graphics cards, he remained unconvinced that any headphones could be worth $200 or more. So I brought my Stellias with and made him a little playlist. When it wrapped, he said, “brother, you gave me goals.”

6 Likes

Welp, that sucks. I didn’t think the orientation of the connector would be reversed. I’m curious if I can ask to have that flipped by zmf when I make my purchase.

2 Likes

You could ask. The release buttons on the cables need to face to the rear, as they do on the GX. On my Eikons, the release buttons face toward the inside of the headphones. So ZMF cable connector would each need to rotate 90 degrees towards the front of the headphones, if that makes sense.

Question, would it be best ask on the left ear cup to have the connector turned 90 degrees clockwise then?

All ZMF’s have the release pointing inwards, the issue becomes how that’s done in their production process and what else changes if you want it done differently. If for example the connector is keyed, it’d require the cup machining be done differently (which probably wouldn’t be possible).
The fact they are consistent, implies to me that it’s probably not just a QC thing.

But there is no harm in asking.

2 Likes

talk about overkill LOL

1 Like

Asking right now. Overkill? Definitely. But since I’m stuck at taking calls for meetings while listening to music while working, why not? I already have an LCD X and Ether CX with mic’s, why not Eikons?

1 Like

From a construction standpoint, just having the magnesium frame of the LCD-MX4 has to make it something to look at if you’re considering buying an LCD-2 or LCD-2 Classic.

BIG <3 out to Zach, he already responded with this.

Thanks for the interest!
We could hypothetically do that - but - I do have the same cable - see attached Pic. It seems to work fine in normal configuration. Just specify when ordering what direction you want the mic connector on the jack facing relatove to your face and I will position it for you.
Thanks you!

End of the month it looks like browsing time will turn buying time.

4 Likes

Yeah, that’s what I tried to do on my Eikons, but I couldn’t get the mic to hold that sharp of a bend. I tested it out in Xbox chat and a couple friends confirmed that I sounded like I was speaking from across the room.

Very cool that Zach can re-orient the connectors to accommodate that cable. Personally, I was leaning more toward getting a custom cable made, or combining a modmic with a cheaper cable.

1 Like

I actually prefer the modmic sounds so much better. But yeah, turning that connector would be ideal.

1 Like

Agree on the modmic sound quality. This is my other “gaming headset” aside from the LCD-GX:

I much prefer how robust and compact the Audeze headset cable is compared to the modmic setup, but sound quality is all around better with the modmic.

4 Likes

Since this thread has pretty much turned into a high end gaming headset thread. I’m glad that it was brought up this cable won’t work as well with the zmf stuff without having it made special. I have the same issue with my modded he500 that has mini xlrs and was looking at zmf.

It does however work like a dream on the Borealis I might add. And it makes quite the gaming head set.

I also have a small custom made mini xlr to 3.5mm adapter that I’ve been using with the vmoda boom pro making my dt1990 a pretty sick gaming headset too.

I had the modmic 4 and hated the extra wire and honestly I thought it was overpriced but everyone says the 5 is awesome I just can’t deal with extra cord or the magnet thingy on pricy headphones. I also tried a desk mic on a boom arm and didn’t like it hanging in front of my face either.

I was considering the gx but went for the Borealis after a brief ownership of the lcd2c. The gx better have a hefty improvement in the imaging/stage… or else oof. Im sure it’s decent for music though if you’re a fan of that signature.

2 Likes

What is the greatest high end gaming headphones?

Metal said that the lcd 2 is better with the only thing gx has going is the most natural fr of the audezes

What would you guys say is the best gaming headphone under $500 and $1000

I would tend to agree

Well I mean is there a best lol? What kind of gaming and what’s the use case?

1 Like

I just like gaming with my LCD X. It’s just nice. Granted, I would not use them for competitive play.

Yeah, after running a few different cans through my “gaming reference” (COD: Modern Warfare, “No Fighting in the War Room”), I definitely have renewed appreciation for use cases & what different headphones bring to the table.

So, quick background on me for context: I put in extreme amounts of time on XBox chasing achievements; I’ve completed over 900 games to date on XBox platforms, including a few achievement-enabled PC games. However, PC is not my primary platform. I also don’t care for competitive MP, though I’ve done it (e.g., 100% completion in Titanfall, including ranking up to Gen 10, which took > 200 hours of gameplay).

Because the center of my gaming universe tends to be single-player or cooperative MP (e.g., Borderlands) on console, my top requirements are:

1. Something I can drive from an XBox controller
  2. Rich, detailed sound

That’s what led me to make a headset out of Elegias; they’re stupid-good for casual play with a cinematic experience, I can drive them fine from a controller, and the closed back lets me play undistracted while my wife watches her shows or whatever.

In any case, I just got some DT 1990s last night, and since they’re so hyped for gaming, I decided to run those through my COD reference level on my gaming laptop vs Stellias, because why not? And then this morning I re-ran the Beyers vs. LCD-GX. Here’s what I found:

The Stellias were easily the best for a cinematic SP experience. Gunfire and explosions had real meat to them. The action sounded sharp and full. Individual sounds were well-defined and clearly imaged, and the overall soundscape was very dramatic and complete. This is on par with the experience I get from the Elegias, but there’s no way in hell I’d disfigure the Stellias with a modmic magnet, lol.

The 1990s had an entirely different presentation, and it was immediately clear why these would be an outstanding choice for competitive MP. While all of the sounds are still present, they lack the cohesive cinematic blending that I got on the Stellias. Instead, nothing is blended together and all of the individual sounds are much easier to pick out. Gunfire lacked the bassy boom that made the action feel real, but was clear in a way that didn’t step on the rest of the action. The treble response really calls attention to tiny details like footsteps, reloads, etc. The overall effect was like “tactical cheat mode.”

The LCD-GX splits the difference somewhat. It’s still clear and detailed, but not as sharply imaged as the Beyers. The gunfire is also not as visceral as the Focals, but without the Beyer treble I couldn’t track surrounding action as well when things got busy. Explosions and whatnot (esp. the wall breach) were satisfying and had good bite, even if the entire experience wasn’t as over-the-top as it was on the Focals. All in all, these were an enjoyable pick for more casual gaming, and would probably be acceptable for light MP, as the detail when things are not overly busy is still very good. I got away from years with crappy Turtle Beach headsets, and clarity on the GX is leagues better, so I certainly wouldn’t avoid them for social play.

EDIT: I should add, I really like the GX on XBox; they’re my daily drivers despite having the Elegias, because the integrated mic on the GX is less unwieldy than the modmic on my homebrew headset. The controller drives them to a satisfying volume, and they’re very clear and sound great. For moments where I need to block out my surroundings or when I’m playing something where audio quality is paramount (e.g., Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice) I’ll reach for the Elegias.

4 Likes