Audeze LCD-GX (Shout) AUDIOPHILE GAMING HEADPHONE!

Audeze LCD-GX $899
Release Date: July 2019

I’ve been debating on if I should save up for some LCD goodness (I really need to stop buying more headphones) when I spotted this. At first I thought it was just the LCD-X with a cosmetic change and a mic added on, but it looks like it uses a different planar setup. I couldn’t find any early reviews on this thing yet so I don’t know if any of these are in the wild.

I’m hoping to give it a listen at CanJam SoCal, but I’m worried it will be a heavy headphone which means not good for long gaming sessions.

But I like the aesthetic! And if it gets close to the LCD-X sound but with wider stage and imaging it could be a winner…albeit a heavyweight winner.

… Mhmm this makes me wonder in which direction Audeze is heading. :thinking:
Also it looks like they just could sell the cable separately

But its one step closer to a new magnesium Version of the lcd 3 which I´m hoping for since the lcd 4z.

I would love to add an Audeze Headphone to my collection, but the damn weight…:unamused:

1 Like

Do you think a cable like that could be usable by other headphones like ZMFs and what not? If so, I hope they sell it by itself. There aren’t any other solutions other than modmics and I’ve been told that they don’t sound as good as the mic on my pc37x.

1 Like

Audeze are touting this as the first, even though the vokyle erupts are now shipping and these will launch in July. If it has the same soundstage as the other audeze models then it won’t be able to complete with the vokyles as a gaming can. My guess is that it’s the lcd2 equivalent of what they did to the lcd4 when making the 4z, but they just put a mic on it.

1 Like

Why don’t you get a mod mic?

To be honest…
I don´t know if Audeze is heading into the right direction or is setting the correct priorities.

The whole LCD line is getting a little bit “aged” and the competitors raise the bar slowly but surely.
But instead of reworking the LCD 2, 3 and X after the 4z, they make the GX where no one knows what the f… its supposed to be. :roll_eyes:

They just should sell the cable separate or in an bundle with LCD 2Cs

Just gave them a listening to here at CanJam, they are light and sound fantastic! Both gaming and music! I won’t give an impression on them due to only having a couple minutes with them but initial listening has me wanting a pair!

1 Like

If you could, how do they compare to say, a zmf aeolus?

Well… I will have to do the comparison after they come out in July…but I think these two are completely different…and going for different things…

That being said, in the short term, the Aeolus for me is a more enjoyable listening experience for music. I haven’t gamed much with the Aeolus.

But I’ve only been able to hear the GSX for a short time…also the GSX leak sound way more than the Aeolus.

I just received my pair. I ordered them off the back of a quick listen at CanJam. My initial impressions fall quite in line with this review so thought I’d share it.

1 Like

Confused why people like this so much, but perhaps this one is just me lol

It’s getting alot of love from the youtube peeps lately

Personally I think it sits between the lcd 2 classic and lcd2, but I tend to prefer the lcd 2 over the gx, and def the lcd x over the gx. Audeze isn’t that great for gaming imo either, so it’s just a strange product in my eyes. Not complaining about it’s existence, just wondering where the appeal is.

4 Likes

Yeah seem like the audeze fr wouldn’t be ideal lol might be okay for immersive non competitive gaming :man_shrugging: all speculation on my part

I think they’re onto something though in that if they ditch the case and mic and sell it for less that might be pretty sweet

I mean they already sell the mic separately, so imo why just not get the lcd x and slap on the mic if you wanted a gaming headphone? Like you would be getting a higher tier headphone with the same functionality.

So my main issues are imaging performance as it’s not that precise when I heard the gx, and the signature was good but not great for gaming (at least competitive wise). I personally think if you had to have an audeze for gaming, for competitive I would pick the lcd x and for fun I would choose the lcd 2 classic or lcd 2

4 Likes

About that… I do slap a mic onto my LCD X for gaming (not competitively but just to enjoy or listen to music, pretty much use my LCD X almost as 100% daily driver). The Audeze mic… is ok but not as good as a mod mic. The sound from the heaphone itself bleeds so much into the Audeze mic so much it’s virtually unusable. Mod mic, works great and barely has noise bleed. I was even on air on a podcast with the LCD X and mod mic and got feedback on how nice my setup was strangely.

Just my 2 cents, and I have to stress… do not game competitively with LCD-X. Regardless, I have a mic for my very likely ZMF purchase without sticking a mod mic stick on wood which is the ONLY reason to pic up the Audeze mic.

2 Likes

Uh, have you heard console gaming headsets? :face_vomiting:

As I’ve mentioned on other forums here, I’m on the extreme end of XBox achievement hunting. I have done bits of competitive gaming here and there, but it’s really not my bag since I like playing a lot of different games, and getting good at anything in competitive MP requires a lot of practice and dedication to get competitive.

Anyway, console gaming headsets are dominated by Turtle Beach and Astro, who charge hundreds of dollars for so-so sound quality and abysmal build quality. XBox uses a proprietary wireless communication system, so vanilla Bluetooth is out for chat. Wired headsets work, if you can live with plugging directly into a controller. And with consoles typically costing no more than $3-400, the concept of spending more than that on a headset is completely alien to almost every XBox gamer.

Point is, there’s a complete dearth of good options. Take a look at this review of the Mobius to see what that looks like from their perspective:

If you’re coming from the perspective of someone well-versed in HiFi who equates gaming with PC, where you can easily involve any DAC and amp and headphones and mic, sure, the LCD-GX isn’t a game changer. But for a console gamer, a $900 marketed-as-a-headset offering from Audeze may as well be proof of alien life.

FWIW, I picked up the LCD-GX since I have a foot in both worlds and I’ve been gaming with it exclusively for several months (at least on XBox). It’s damn impressive. It’s sensitive enough that a controller drives it well, and it sounds better than it should for whatever junk DAC is in the controller. Imaging makes a joke of console headsets, and, well, let’s just say that the top of the bar usually starts below “coherent sound signature,” so the GX is easy to like.

These are my first (and only) pair of Audezes, but I like them quite a bit. Other planars I have are Hifiman 4xx and Drop’s Ether CX. GX is probably the best of the bunch.

Sadly, that does not work. I just tried using the GX cable with my Eikons, and while the connector is the same, the orientation is not. The mic points directly away from my head, and although it’s flexible, I couldn’t bend it far enough around to be heard well in chat. I was just about to order 2 more of those cables from Audeze since they’re on a heck of a sale right now, but now I’m not sure. May stockpile one for an eventual LCD purchase. However, short term I’m looking at a Verite Closed.

4 Likes

I get that, but that further just confuses me as someone who is going to spend this much is going to want to get the highest quality they want and be willing to sacrifice some usability for sound quality which would be foreign for them on an average headset as you mention

IMO you can grab something like an lcd 1 for this price and pick up a cable with an inline mic and have just as good competitive gaming performance for much less. Just confusing to me, but I’m not a console gamer and not the target market so it doesn’t need to make sense to me lol (or of course other options too, just noting something else from audeze)

2 Likes