Audeze MM-100 coming soon?

I’ve been looking for a low-midrange set of planar headphones to try out so I was looking forward to this one, but I’ve been reading about some really odd QC issues. Like if you plug the cable into the left side, it’s fine, but if you plug it into the right side, the L-R audio channels switch.

I would look elsewhere to the DCA Aeon series, Hifiman HE560, Subdara, Edition XS, or Ananda, or even some of the Fostext mods like the Argon. The MM-100s don’t compete soundwise with similarly priced Hifiman and DCA, IMO and the cable shenanigans isn’t worth the trouble. Not to mention the glued on protein pads that’ll fall apart sooner rather than later making replacement a bitch if not impossible. This post reflects only my opinions and two cents.

3 Likes

You’ve given me too many options… now I’m confused. I’ll just pick up a Caldera. I don’t live too far from ZMF headquarters if I have issues.

1 Like

Wow, if you’re down to go with Caldera level prices I would also check our the Hifiman HE1000se, DCA Expanse, and Audeze LCD-4. They all have various levels of warmth and I personally find the Expanse and HE1000se to be better than the ZMF Caldera. That’s just my opinion though. Based on what you said before I thought you meant you were looking at mid-fi options. I had no idea the $3599 price range (Caldera prices) headphones were on the table.

1 Like

Haha sorry, I was half joking. The only planar I’ve listened to was the Audeze Penrose gaming headset, but I didn’t like it at all. This was years ago so I only remember it being way too bright and artificial sounding. I’d most likely pick up a sub-1k pair to see how planars compare before I go straight to a multi-kilobuck pair :money_mouth_face:

I don’t know why, but I could never get up for these. Something just told me they were gonna be a bust, and it sounds like this is the case. Shame, that. Oh well, I don’t need any more headphones anyway. Your honest evaluation is very much appreciated. :+1:t2:

2 Likes

Yeah. The sound is thoroughly average at best and the nonsense they did with how they wired these was just beyond stupid, IMO. Thankfully, I have a friend whose basically buying them off me for the retail price so I’m losing nothing when I sell them.

I also had a feeling with all the conflicting info and hangups they put out after preorders were in that they weren’t going to be great either, but my curiosity wouldn’t let me get away with not trying them because I do enjoy the MM-500s quite a bit. They might be my favorite Audeze right up there with the LCD-5.

Edit: And no, I’m not saying the MM-500s sound like the LCD-5s or have the same technical chops. Just that the LCD-5s are the only other Audeze that I like overall on a similar level that I like the MM-500s.

4 Likes

How exactly did they wire them? I remember it was something really weird when I initially heard it but can’t remember the details.

So that the cable in only going into one ear cup but still can be used balanced, with a special cable though.

Actually I like this type very much. Hifiman R9, Sennheiser HD5xx Series and some Sony use the same system. It is just not compatible with the XLR / 4.4mm → 2x 3.5mm cables many people have.

I was curious about the MM-100 and pre-ordered them. Got delayed many times and when the weight jump from TBA (rumors below 400g) to 475g I canceled them.

This cable should work.

It’s cool that they wired them this way :+1:t3::+1:t3: Also, thanks for linking to one of our cables! That will indeed work!

We got ours in on Tuesday:

1 Like

Thanks for the impressions, based on your previous recs I trust your opinion - I preordered these and been waiting a long time, but I had been thinking to cancel, look at some other options.

I am thinking instead to use the cash from these on to upgrade my hifiman arya stealth to the arya organic which has been getting some strong reviews.

1 Like

That weight jump from what was previously announced also kindof kills it for me - I love my hifimans, based on some of these details, it doesnt seem like this one is worth it for me. Sounds like these arent the audezes I have been looking for…

2 Likes

I’m flattered that you trust my opinions that much. If it helps you understand just what I thought of them, my MM-100 were purchased by their new owner this morning. They were a real disappointment for me. They just don’t compete with that $300-$500 range where planars are just getting better so quickly.

3 Likes

I still get quite a few emails / questions from customers confused about what cable they need for these cans. So I created an info page here on our site with all of that info and thought I’d share here! Still digging these headphones a ton. Here’s another picture too:

2 Likes