Audio setup upgrade

I’m currently using the following:

• Fostex T60RP
  • Mayflower ark mk2
  • vmoda boom pro

I’m currently using this setup for work and do to the fact that my voice sounds good for what I do. I’m planning to leave it for work, and upgrade my gaming setup.
What would be a recommended upgrade in term of dac/amp combo? And if I want to use a mic is there a better choice in terms of microphone? I like my headphones I might just get new pads for comfort I guess.

I’m not very proficient in audio terminology but I like the clarity of my setup but I’m wondering if there is a path to make it better.

Thank you!

When you say gaming, what type of gaming do you mean? Competitive FPS? Immersive gaming? That definitely changes the recommendations.
Also, what kind of budget would you be comfortable with? That will be the main limiting factor.
In terms of microphone, I’m a big fan of the Audio Technica AT2020 usb. I’ve been using one for 6+ years and I’ve had absolutely no problems from it.

1 Like

I play somewhat like 40% comp (valorant/warzone) and 60% casual (SP RTS/FPS games). If there is a middle of the road solution for both if not I would guess more impact on comp for me.

My budget is up to $800. I’m open to opinions and clarifying questions, thanks!

In terms of headphones at that price, I think the Elex would be pretty good for you. I haven’t tried it but I have tried the Clear and I know the Elex isn’t far off. It would be more of an enjoyment headphones rather than a competitive one though. The HD599 was good when I used it. It’s not going to give you a distinct competitive edge like the HD800 would, but it’s a good all round headphone for gaming specifically. Not good for music imo. Between the two I would go for the Elex personally.
As for a dac/amp combo, I’ve heard the Schiit Magni Unity is good, but I don’t have any experience with it personally. If you’re okay with buying used, I absolutely love the Sony PHA-3 and it’s on the used market now for around $300. The Topping A50s/D50s stack is also good but a bit too expensive, especially with the P50.

1 Like