Audio-Technica ATH R70X

Hello guys!

I am looking for some recommendations for R70X’s earpads replacement. The Stock are a bit too stiff for me and after a couple of ours i get earlobe pain.

1 Like

hey Mario…it’ll take a couple of weeks, but your ears will adapt. I had the same thing when I got my Senn HD4.40’s…after wearing them a short while, my ears were hurting and sensitive…but after a couple of weeks, I got used to wearing them and the pain went away. this is normal and not uncommon.

2 Likes

these are the one’s comparable to the hd650 correct? so what I gather is they’re more extended which is certainly a bonus… my question is how do they compare in terms of soundstage and imaging and are they also made to pair well with a tube amp? (I assume so given their impedance)

Yes, they are a bit more extended in both bass and treble, a bit more stage, a bit more neutral sound, imaging is close imo. They do work well with a tube amp, but I think for pure enjoyment the 600 is a bit better on a tube, but I would prefer the 70x on solid state

3 Likes

hmm alright… I was hoping to hear they had a much improved soundstage especially but that’d be to good to be true I guess… thanks m0n

I am into day 2 of ownership with my new to me R70X’s. Super light, super comfortable and super cheap (especially used :grin:).

They have been great with rock and pretty good with jazz, although they got a bit sharp with Miles Davis horn work.

Today I started out with new Dave Matthews and The Heavy. I then moved on to Shirley Scott and the Soul Saxes. Ran through my testing list and then dug into many tracks from Incubus. That was followed by a large chunk of INXS, which I am in the middle of.

Everything is sounding good. Mids and vocals are very nice. Bass is nice and very adequate when called on.
Does seem a little weak on detail and imaging, but maybe that’s just me. With certain music I get a wall of sound effect instead of being able to pick out the guitars, drums, keyboards, backing singers, etc.

These are Huge bang for the buck and would be awesome for someone financially challenged, especially used. They do take some power though. While they will play out of my DAP, they were working hard out of my phone. With my phone, I use a KA5 dongle DAC and it was maxing out, although I think I was in low gain. And I couldn’t use balanced out as I don’t have any 2.5mm cables. If I decide to keep them, I will have to reach out to Hart, yet again, for a modular 2.5mm cable.

I am pretty sure that ANY desktop amp would be fine with these. Much like the HD660S2’s, they are easier to drive than you would think.
For instance, this afternoon I switched over to the Valhalla 2, which sounds Great, by the way! I have it on high gain and can’t get the volume knob to 10:00.

These are lightest, most gentle headphone I have ever worn. If you have issues with headphone comfort, check these out.

I will be using these right through the weekend and then post a few final thoughts.

4 Likes

Good to see someone trying out these damn good headphones. Comfort is an underrated quality and these are definitely 10/10 in that department.

It sounds like you’re working your way up to better and better chains you have at your disposal. I wanna hear your thoughts on them coming off of the Violectric. I think are pickier than you think, but let us know. Very surprised you’re getting a “wall of sound”.

1 Like

Love them on the Violectric. Put them on the Valhalla 2 today and was very impressed.
These are, by far, the cheapest headphone I have bought in years. Great value and a nice sound.
I really, really didn’t need another headphone, but… :laughing:

I will keep exploring through the weekend.

When I say “wall of sound”, I am referring to the instruments not being very separated. By the weekend I will start doing comparisons against other headphones, particularly HD660S2’s. Then hopefully I can be more clear about my thoughts.

I feel you there. What made you pick them up?

Yup, we’re on the same page. In your final analysis, please do let me know about a vio + bf2 pairing.

The R70X purchase was just curiosity.

The BF2 is great with all my amps.

1 Like

Well, I am wrapping up day seven with my new friends, the R70X’s.
As usual, it was a bit of shock changing headphones. In this case I went from my most expensive headphone so far, the Focal Radiance, to the cheapest headphone I have bought in years, the (used) ATH-R70X.

Initial reactions were/are:

A) I like the look of them. Very simple.

B) I wasn’t sure about the wings, but I never feel them at all, so I guess they work very well.

C) I like the overall sound and there is enough bass when called upon.

D) They were pretty easy to drive with all of my desktop options. They do NOT work well with my phone and dongle combo (FiiO KA5).

E) I can NOT say this loudly enough or strongly enough: These are the most comfortable headphones I have ever touched, picked up or used!! :+1:

The only downside to me is in the sound. It is not very detailed to my ears. I would say the same in regards to imaging and separation. I am really not very good with technical descriptions though. The music comes to me as one sound. I really can’t pick out the guitar work, horn work, backing vocals, etc.
I am guessing that is probably to do with the very affordable pricing.
Also, I found the treble could get a little sharp with my horn jazz. But for most of my listening; new rock, classic rock, pop, blues, etc. They are just fine. You will not be listening analytically, but most folks have other 'phones for that, if so inclined.

Most of my headphones I would rate between 8 and 9 on a 1-10 scale, at this point. These might slide down to a 7-7.5, based on technicalities.
Using the same scale, I would have to give these a solid 13 on comfort! :grin:

Every so often I like to pick up a used cheapie and see what all the fuss was/is about. You usually don’t lose much money and it ticks another one off the list and you move along. I am going to give these a few more turns through the rotation. The sound is fine, the comfort is sublime and they were dirt cheap. Unless you’re a high end/HiFi guy these are worth taking a look at.

Unlike some here, I almost NEVER have a problem with headphone fit and if I do, Nuggets to the rescue. If you fall into this category, Check out the R70X’s!

My Favourite pairing was with the Violectric V220. The iFi Pro iCAN didn’t really impress me much until I switched to SS mode, which I never use. Then it was very good.
Also, they were quite nice with Valhalla 2 and Little Dot MK9. But the music can get even less precise. As tube amps do. :grinning:

2 Likes

Did you experiment with the pre-gain settings on the back? Which setting was best?

I suspect the higher the setting the better they will sound… if the amp is plugged directly into the wall.

(Don’t ruin your rig btw… you’re gonna need to turn off the amp and set the pot all the way down before moving the switches)

I did not. I had it on zero gain and I was not going past 10:00. It was the best by far.
Until I switched the iFi over to Solid State, which I never use. I didn’t even use bass boost and it was great. For last half hour I gave it a notch of bass boost and it was rollin’. :laughing:

1 Like

Mistaken post.

1 Like