Audiophile gaming headphones under 400$

Hello,
i sadly just broke my left hd 650 driver trying to clean it. I wanted to change anyway so i’m sad but i’m trying to stay optimistic x)

I’m looking for some audiophile open or semi-open headphones (that you can still hear yourself speak clearly) with good bass (better than hd 650 because it was lacking). But with some good imaging to also use for gaming purpose (FPS).

Someone has an idea ? i’ve heard a lot about audeze LCD-2 as an open and bassy headset but not sure it’s good for gaming and price is little bit too high.

good day : )

if you’re looking for bass and imaging beyerdynamic has a nice offert dt880 with black pads, tygr300, dt990, dt1990 with balanced pads.

i tried dt 990 pro in the past and the treble was awful ear piercing. are the dt 880 the same in that sense?

All the beyerdynamic have hot treble differents shades but are all pretty hot on the top. the 880 has a little less than the 990 but still hot

1 Like

He400se stealth, brainwavz XL velour pads either with the gaming gel or not, and honeycomb grills. It’s like $220 after everything is said and done and better than dt990s in every way and not ear piercing treble.

ok thanks, what about MONOLITH M1060, ATH-R70x or sundara?

The sundara has more bass than the 650 and an overall more neutral tonal balance but can be bright oriented for some, the soundstage is a little narrow in the center and deeper on the sides and the imaging a little on the fuzzy/ethereal side so I don’t think does a great job in gaming

1 Like

oh god it’s you again

tested the m1060 and i find it bad for sound positioning/gaming. also feel like music (specially vocals) is more artificial than on hd 650, even if the bass is a little better.
still searching for something :confused:

Ya can’t win em all for $400. I’d go HD660 or Vokyl Erupt!

is the hd660s bass better than hd650?

They might be close-ish, but I wouldn’t think 660 has more bass. 650 bass should extend more, too. A clearer, more spacious, more engaging sound for FPS, though, probably. I’m not a fan of 600 & 650, after having 600 for 4 years or so, but 660 is a very refreshing, spacious, clearer change I love. Not the greatest extension at either end, but again you can’t really win em all at this price. You already know how comfortable the HD’s are :slight_smile: #1 IMO. 600 was one of the worst headphone for FPS gaming I’ve tried, and 660 are at/near the very top on my list.

I think they provide an excellent, lively, clear sound with a large, realistic presentation of 3D space…without sounding too distant, or thin like Sundara, or dry like DT’s. And to my ears there is nothing bad/harsh/fatiguing about their sound; just that they are missing extension. But for serious music listening? They aren’t so high on my list.

Sundara beats 660s on soundstage, imaging, separation, speed, punch and price

thanks, for gaming i think hd660s would be better no?

what would you advice for serious music ? same, around 400$ max

Than Sundara? When I tested them, I felt that Sundara was a bit too wide, and definitely thinner, less engaging, and less natural/realistic sounding, so that more natural sound “clicked” with my brain better in FPS games(similar to how AD700X/AD900X does). The more natural a headphone sounds to you, the less you have to think/interpret the sound coming out of it. “Was that sound really as far/close away as it sounded…?” “The reverb in this large room should more present than it does” “Explosions directly left or right sound too harsh”.

Best I’ve heard under $400 would be Mobius(excellent). Not sure if LCD-1 is better or worse. After that, DT880 is alright, and probably HE400i(haven’t heard - probably sounds like a worse Sundara). Also have heard good things about Monoprice headphones, like M1060, M1070. I also love my Vokyl Erupt, but they have a lot of bass and aren’t balanced very well. Very enjoyable, but very imperfect :slight_smile:

i tested m1060, i prefered it for the bass (than hd660s) but singers voice were not very good and also the problematic treble spike.

I see. I wasn’t very fond of how HE400 & HE500 sounded, so it may be very similar.