Audiophile Noob's First Setup

Hello, I hope I put this in the right category.

So as the title implies. I’m a complete utter noob when it comes to Audiophile-grade HiFi. I’ve been reading up, doing my research, and trying to figure out the best budget system for a starter system.

This is where the fun begins

Firstly I’ll start out and say, I’m not too sure about my speaker choices. Based on my research, It’s a toss between the Paradigm Monitor SE Atom, or the DLAC Debuts 6.2s. Currently, I have The Paradigms in my cart. After Z’s review stating their great nearfield speakers, and I’ll be using them in my smaller office on my desk. With that being said, I also will probs make a speaker thread(Unless I can do it just in this thread) asking for suggestions.

Secondly, I have so many lists for amps.

• SMSL AD18 - Seems to be a great powerhouse AIO amp, DAC, receiver. Currently 3rd based on my research
  • Topping mx3 - Z’s review stated this is probs the best budget AIO amp, better than the AD18. Only problem I have with it, is the WPC is on the lower side, and I enjoy my loud music, but currently my 1st choice for a AIO.
  • Topping DX3 Pro/ Topping PA3 - the DX3 seems to be a great headphone amp, and a great receiver, the PA3 also seems like a great speaker amp that can push some wattage.

Third, I do plan on getting a pair of HiFi headphones at some point, Thus having amps with headphone amps. But I have a pair of Sony WH-CH700Ns and they’re enough for now. My main need is a better audio system, than a basic sony stereo and my Sanyo SS-900s.

EDIT: Forth, I’ll be using USB for my PC, Optical for TV, and would like RCA inputs(Phono if at all possible) for a turntable. But I can also do some tom fuckery like RCA to 3.5mm, or RCA to coax if needed.

Thanks for reading, and for any suggestions y’all have.

I cant speak to very much except I’d persuade you to not consider the elac 6.2 on a desk… they’re a pretty large speaker and I find they sound better in a bigger room at higher volumes

I’m pretty happy with the micca rb42’s on my desk… maybe worthwhile for you to consider

1 Like

I also debated on possibly buying shelves/stands for them also. But I really am leaning toward the Paradigms though. And your comment pushes me farther towards them.

Thank you for your input! :slight_smile:

EDIT: I didn’t see your edit until I posted this comment, but I did make a speaker thread over at here

2 Likes