Audiophile speaker cables make me angry

But after installing the $1000 cable I heard a difference. I swear I did. It was barely perceptible, but it was there. And the harder I searched for differences, the more I found. Trust me.

1 Like

I’m sure there are but I can also guarantee you you could source the materials and build a cable of equivalent quality for at most a tenth of the price

Where I think you’d get the most bang for your buck is with custom modded electronics. Where folks have swapped out the internal components for something better or different quality like that kitsune tuned holo spring dac or that modified stax Energizer that zeos showcased a couple weeks ago

2 Likes

I really like my spring 2 kte, agree with this statement lol

1 Like

Yeah. I was looking at some stuff from a company called decware and they let you a few choose different internal components like capacitors and found that intriguing.

Their amps are crazy expensive though lol.

The quality of caps, transformers, board layouts, pretty much anything to do with electronics can help improve sound (within reason and science lol)

1 Like

I can’t get into stuff like that. Because I feel there’s no sense in not getting the best components. And then I can’t afford it lol. It’s like buying a car - I’d rather get the highest trim (performance wise) Civic than a low or mid trim Nissan Z even though the lowest Z smokes the highest Civic.

I just can’t stand getting something that’s not the best it can be.

1 Like

Coming from a background in stuff like cinema cameras where a similar belief is held. There is a point where components and quality become something arguable and the overall argument becomes whether the quality justifies the price. You can have stuff that’s obviously the zenith like panavision or arri cameras but for a lot of things… it’s not the same. Sure red cameras cost 50k and are considered totl with the best resolution. but they have stability issues problems with exposure and dynamic range. Weak color science. Hideous ui. But because they’re so expensive people think and believe they are the best and will go for them against all reason.

Meanwhile you can get an equal quality camera from kinefity from China for a fifth of the price or the Australian company blackmagic for a tenth. And you realize that quality is a matter of perception and marketing after a certain point and what matters is research to find the right dollar to performance ratio that works for you.

Heck the most popular color grading software on earth is 200 dollars flat and comes free with a blackmagic camera.

2 Likes

Well yeah there is a difference between real and perceived value of upgrades. I’m talking about real value. Better components in electronics and speakers make a difference. Just like more power in a car motor.

I’ve never bought a new set of wheels for my car because they’re more expensive so theoretically better in some way. I buy wheels with the lowest possible weight.

But another thing to consider is that more power in a car is not always better, if we want to make things complicated

Can you give me a scenario where it’s not? Sure gas milage generally suffers but there’s always a tradeoff when you want performance.

You might want less horsepower and more torque for towing, you might want a smaller engine for a lighter car that you can throw around, you might want more gas milage like you mention, and giving a car more horsepower then it’s originally made for can cause issues too

Just depends on preference and what you need

my guess why you see a lot of snake oil on other forums is because they are older people on those forums, hifi guides is mostly millennial’s and Zoomers who are inherently skeptical of everything.

what you heard was your brain to trying to convince you that, that $1000 you spend on a speaker cable wasn’t a compete waste of money, did you elevate your speakers cables with $400 wooden blocks and put you amps on isolation cones as well for the full voodoo magic effect? I watched a video of a guy calming that if he moved the isolation cones around under his amps is music got warmer, or brighter depending on where they where touching the bottom of the amp.

Or folks who put weights on their dacs and stand them on toroidal transformers for isolation

1 Like

Audioquest battery pack cables really take the cake for me, BTW you never have to change the battery’s on your cables because your amp charges the batteries for you!! what I can’t wait for is to see what these snake oil salesmen come up with when high end home theater wireless powered speakers start hitting the market next year I know golden ear is working on a pair right now.audioquest%20battery%20cables

Wait, what is the point of that? Wouldn’t that act as a buffer??? That wouldn’t be good

I feel like that buffer would degrade the signal

I want to make it clear that I was being completely facetious here. Sorry for the confusion.

I have a whole rant with examples about subconscious bias and the power of placebo…but I’ll spare you all. Suffice it to say that I only drink snake oil for it’s flavor, not it’s medical benefits.

1 Like

sorry i’m such a snarky asshole, years of 4chan has burned out my since of humor, and everything is an ironic joke to me now :clown_face::earth_americas:

2 Likes

Ya just never stop getting clowned on