Audiophile speaker cables make me angry

This is what Audio Quest has to say

AudioQuest’s patented Dielectric Bias System (DBS) puts all of a cable’s dielectric into a strong, stable electrostatic field which saturates (organizes) the molecules of the insulation … continuously from the time the cable is terminated.

Do you think they stock 55gal drums of snake oil on their online store?

I could somewhat understand if they made a power cable with a buffer for people with unsteady power, but even then it wouldn’t be the best idea

Also I have no idea what that is supposed to do

it drives me crazy that my dad is fine with driving his 4cyl BMW around, i’m like “doesn’t the sound of it bother you?”

1 Like

Pretty much how I feel. I was lucky finding my car with top level trim within a reasonable price

1 Like

So it’s a line isolator or something to make it directional I’m guessing

I’ve always wondered about RED cameras and why people spend so much on them, are they really that much better than their Sony equivalent? Linus Tech Tips has some pretty funny videos on what a horrible company RED is after he spent $100,000 for a set up.

Also curious, as I never was into cinematography or video much at all, I just assumed it was the markup you paid for truly pro gear. Audio pro gear is actually surprisingly not marked up that much lol

I don’t think it actually does anything, its just a wire running along the speaker cable connected to a battery pack, very RMAF approved.

I thought the same thing as well, I was like “only movie studios buy RED so they have to make is super expensive.”

They purport to have 16.5 stops of dynamic range but they dont. Hell their colour science only became acceptable to me recently because their 8k resolution meant their red channel isn’t like sub HD (bayored cmos sensors have the least amount data in the red channel due to how its designed, companies have debayering and color science to compensate for it but Red is by far the weakest imo, maybe only second to Canon)
Sony is a bit of a touchy subject for me. I shot two shot on sony cameras. And their color science from the F65 cinema camera up to the Venice is… absolutely unreal and extremely close to film, but their menu design was created by engineers who will never actually use them in a creative capacity (same with Canon, Panasonic, etc)
People in the film realm fetishize resolution over actual picture quality. Because Red was the first to 4K then 8k then purchaseable 8k large format they established themselves as THE CUTTING EDGE OF TECHNOLOGY… But like… what matters is picture quality. Its why the arri alexa is still the most used camera in hollywood and TV. Because their actual practical dynamic range is film like and their color science allows for filmic quality (mind you you can actually get any digital camera to perfectly emulate film all it takes is some programming and the mathematic color values of the film stock you want to emulate and a film grain simulator)

3 Likes

You weren’t being an ahole at all. Often my subltle jokes are so subtle nobody gets them.:persevere:

2 Likes

It was horrendously marked up for the longest time. Now you get disruptive companies pushing for cheaper high quality alternatives. You can get a camera that shoots 6k with almost alexa level image quality for under 2500 now thanks to Blackmagic, that comes with a free version of their Video/Sound/VFX/Colour grading platform Davinci Resolve boxed in.

1 Like

same thing seems to be happening in the audio world, thanks to chi-fi gear flooding amazon and massdrop or DrOp.CoM now.

That’s kinda what I’ve heard, as it’s not the resolution that matters, is the actual image quality and color. Also how much does the lens play a part?

1 Like

4k vs 8k is definitely demising returns, if you don’t have an absurdly massive screen like 85in and up. I have a 4k 27in monitor and I can’t really see a huge difference between that and 1440p, other than being able to turn AA off in games, but then again 4k kills my framerate and a gtx 1070 is not the greatest 4k card.

Lenses are a massive part of the image equation. With each having their specific image signature and feel, from lenses that breath, to high clarity, to differing contrast.

A lot of films are shot on vintage or refurbished glass or lenses designed to mimic said qualities to take the harsh edge of modern digital and film footage.

One of the first films to do this was batman begins, which cleaned its uv coating off the lens so it could get those distinct lens flares you see in the movie.

Force awakens shot on two separate lens sets, higher contrast higher saturation for stuff involving the first order sets, softer lower saturation lenses for everything else

an extremely popular lens with videographers right now is the super takumar 50mm lens. Which is warm and soft and very filmic. Also slightly radioactive.

1 Like

99 percent of monitors and TV actually aren’t even 4K, but a sub 4K resolution called UHD. Because literally no disk can hold 4K footage

8k is a scam. Most places lack infrastructure for 8k streaming and almost no content save a new disk format can hold 8k in a reasonable size.

there are some 4k tru projectors for the home market from sony but they’re like 35000 a piece

1 Like

Oh yeah, side note to the lenses. There’s been some engineering breathroughs with lens designs that’s really gonna throw the whole market into chaos the next couple years, when an MIT grad found a way to design lenses with absolute zero distortion. So all these 50 thousand dollar high grade lenses will soon be easily matched by a cheap chinese lens sold for 300 bucks

Hmm, seems like the time to get into videography then lol

Most tvs and monitors are 3840x2160, where as true 4k is 4096x2160. But I don’t think that has anything to do with disk sizes… but with 3840x2160 being evenly divisible by the previous standard of 1920x1080.