šŸ”¶ Audioquest NightHawk

Lol

10 character

1 Like

Well when I sold them the plan was to get them back eventually lol but things didnā€™t work out, was able to snag them recently from reddit
Thanks to @ericgi believe for posting that thread in the buy and sell section lol. Like a hawk I swooped in and sealed the deal within 2 minutes

4 Likes

Put about an hour or so onto these now, previous buyer advised heā€™s put around 100 hours in. And ā€¦ Iā€™m underwhelmed?

Iā€™m far, far, far from an audiophile, Iā€™ll say that straight away. I know people say these are really relaxing but Iā€™m not sure if relaxing means they lack much energy at all?

Everything just sounds a bit flat, a bit veiled. Iā€™m running it off my iPad Pro 10.5 and Iā€™ve got a BTR5 hopefully arriving today so Iā€™ll test that. But I expect the iPad should be able to drive it to a good level given Skylar Grey was saying he was using his iPhone.

Also using Tidal at hifi and master quality so the streaming source is good enough there.

Maybe it does take a while to break my ears in, but coming from the Meze 99 Classics, these definitely donā€™t feel like what were Ā£700 headphones and Iā€™m not sure if I prefer the 99ā€™s at this point.

Early days I guess, weā€™ll see.

Edit: Put the 99ā€™s on and they sound a LOT different actually! The 99ā€™s treble sounded fine last week but today, after the NHā€™s, they almost sound painful. And very closed too. Interesting!

Thereā€™s ur answer lol
The hawks technically sound decent of normal devices but can definitely be a little lackluster. They miss the dynamics and slam and bass is a bit piss poor without a proper amp. I know you said you are expecting the btr5, make sure you get a balanced cable too otherwise it wonā€™t improve much, even then I would highly recommend you hold off and save up for an xduoo and I feel that really helps bring the hawks to life. (ps when I had hawks on my phone before I did not like them)

Also when it comes to what you said about veiled and about them and their energy, first of the veil. They are a bit dark sounding on first listen honestly that does take some people time to get used to so thatā€™s fair! Give it time and maybe it wonā€™t sound veiled, when it comes to it lacking energy thatā€™s wat happens when something is underpowered, lacks any sort of energy, impact etc. But I will say that due to their presentation they might be a more less engaging headphone ime (with the carbons, donā€™t want to confuse u but for some reason not with the OG hawks lol)

2 Likes

Jose is right. all headphones will benefit from power. there are options that will work well off a phone or tablet, but you have to choose carefully as not everything is meant to work at the low power thresholds they can provide.

Any updates on the hawks? Still not feeling em or getting better?

1 Like

Definitely better than the first impression. Sometimes they still feel a little withdrawn but for the most part they sound pretty clear now. Some tracks Iā€™ve felt like I was sitting in a small room with the artist playing on a stage in front of me, it was really cool.

I listened to them for around 4-5 hours, off and on, during the day yesterday while I worked and it was only the last hour where i felt a bit tired of them and switched to the Meze 99 Classics. I think it was a mix of needing something different on my ears, but more just wanting a bit more ā€¦ openness to it.

I know I like a warmer sound as I can find some treble to really hurt my ears but I also really love bass. I might try switching to the leather pads which I believe increases the treble but you lose some bass?

The other thing is that Iā€™m a little concerned about durability. I try to be careful taking them off and on, putting them down onto the desk etc. But every time I see those rubber pieces on the cups, I expect them to just snap for some reason.

Iā€™m pretty pleased with them, they sound a lot better than the WH1000XM4ā€™s I had previously. But I wonder if Iā€™d like something a bit more ā€¦ open? A bit more treble, more airiness to the sound. The 99ā€™s kinda fill that but they lack I guess whatever makes the NHā€™s different.

I MIGHT pick up a pair of 58Xā€™s to give those a try.

3 Likes

These headphones left a great impression on me, but maybe thatā€™s because Iā€™m driving it mainly off a bifrost 2 into an atom amp. I did hear that these headphones are okay portable, so I tried driving them off my phone or ps5 controller and both just completely lacked the dynamic bass slam and overall detail that I had gotten used to hearing when running it off my main setup. These definitely do like power, theyā€™re almost like a planar in that way haha. Anyways, they do take some getting used to as far as sound signature goes. I remember when I first tried these my ears were like what the crap is happening haha (coming from argons and modded thieaudio phantoms). But now that Iā€™m more accustomed to the signature I find these quite enjoyable. Definitely a keeper headphone for me, they sound like nothing else and I love that about them. And Iā€™m sure them being so unique probably means they donā€™t measure well (against harman or flatness), but this is yet another case where measurements donā€™t tell the whole story. Let your ears be the judge and enjoy some tunes.

2 Likes

The hawks are definitely a bit more niche in my expirience and due to their presentation they can be slightly less engaging than most headphones so I can understand why ou might get slightly tired if them or bored of them after an hour. Also personally they are not aggressive so I mostly find myself using them for chill music etc. And about the treble and sounding open thatā€™s totally fair! Thatā€™s the reason I had bought a sundara, I needed more treble brigthness etc because I didnā€™t feel my music sounded best like that.

Might be more up ur alley altho itā€™s Def not got much air in the treble region either.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been enjoying the nighthawks a fair bit. Honestly donā€™t know why i ever sold them lol. I have bought plenty of gear and sold plenty of it, but usually specially recently as i have been finding my style of things i sell gear only because itā€™s hard to justify price etc compared to my usage or itā€™s place in my gear. The hawks however i had fallen out of love with after a while and didnā€™t enjoy them, i preferred by 18 dollar bluetooth sony buds (which is still love btw lol). But after buying them again recently for purely sentimental reasons WOW i honestly canā€™t figure out why i fell out of love. I did start with the Carbon Nighthawks and currently have the OG ones but still, i have been enjoying these like crazy. Decent detail, great timbre, great imaging. Pretty sweet depth. I remember why a gang was created from these hawks now . Iā€™ve used super great gear including LCD 2 prefzor, Focal alpha 80s, Tia Trios etc, these have no right to sound as enjoyable as they do!

4 Likes

Starting to think I need to pull out my ole hawks, dust them off and give them a whirl again. I havenā€™t listened to them in quite some time and Iā€™ve upgraded my gear and added a bunch of stuff to my chain since then. I think I originally was listening to them off of my jotunheim and the last thing I really heard them on was my rnhp+enog. Imma give them a whirl here in a bit.

4 Likes

See, thatā€™s the thing Iā€™m starting to feel with my nighthawks as well. Iā€™m starting to feel as itā€™s getting boring, but ever since I got a new amp and a pad swap, my interest in em is now back. Iā€™ll put out an update once I do a bit more listening.

2 Likes

I spent yesterday with a few hours on the Nighthawk in the morning, then switched to the Meze 99 Classics in the afternoon.

I donā€™t know if maybe I was just ready for a change of sound by the time the afternoon arrived but the 99ā€™s felt ā€¦ fresh. The brightness really helped after the relaxed listening of the Nighthawkā€™s, although the 99ā€™s did feel a bit more one dimensional compared to the Nighthawkā€™s which really gave more of a room feeling as opposed to the music being right on top of you.

I think Iā€™ll flip it around today and listen to the 99ā€™s in the morning, then listen to the Nighthawkā€™s in the afternoon. I suspect Iā€™ll flip with feeling there too, that after the 99ā€™s Iā€™ll appreciate the more relaxed Nighthawkā€™s in the afternoon.

At this point I think Iā€™d like a mix between the two really. I like the feeling of expanse, the roominess, of the Nighthawkā€™s. I like the tighter bass of the Nighthawkā€™s, although the 99ā€™s also have very good bass too.

With the 99ā€™s I like the increased treble a bit more than what I get from the Nighthawkā€™s. Iā€™m sensitive to sibilance and the 99ā€™s havenā€™t bothered me with treble at any point.

A mix of the two would be great. Maybe an open-backed 99 would be perfect for me.

2 Likes

The Nighthawk is one of those headphones that benefit from a cable swapping. I STRONGLY recommend a good silver cable with it. Silver lowers bass and highlights high frequencies which is exactly what the Nighthawk needs. It increases sense of transparency, increases sense of stage and makes it easier to enjoy what makes the Nighthawk special imo which is the solidity and shaping of the imaging.

2 Likes

I have been experimenting with the pads and have been using the Brainwavz velours for over a week now and I am just loving the sound.

They donā€™t sound as ā€˜darkā€™ as the stock leathers and although the bass is not as powerful, it is certainly there and more ā€˜warmā€™. Treble is notably better as well, it is brighter but not in a bad way.

The stock suedes are too neutral for me so at the moment I am swapping between the leathers and velours and loving the latter. I think the imaging is even better albeit with a tad less impact and ā€˜slamā€™ in the lower bass region than the leathers.

I second the comment about the cable - I managed to get a custom made balanced cable and it definitely opens up the sound of the NHs!

3 Likes

What cable did you get?

It was custom made for me by a seller on eBay in the UK - I just checked and it doesnā€™t look like he is currently selling anything :pleading_face:

1 Like

It looks the cable is available to purchase again on eBay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Balanced-Upgrade-Headphone-Cable-for-Audioquest-Nighthawk-Nightowl-2-x-2-5mm-/193775624121?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

1 Like

Fucking hell man! I seriously have no idea how I ever fell out of love with the hawks. Itā€™s like dang dude. These things are so good they could be endgame. And to an extent they are. They just hit all the right spots and bring SOUL to music at a great price range

6 Likes

Itā€™s when you put on another pair of headphones and they are ā€œbrightā€ and you think the Hawks are veiled. You come back later and react like that. Been there, done that

3 Likes