🔶 Audioquest NightHawk

This is the official thread for the Audioquest NightHawk. This thread is for discussion and reviews.

• Over Ear
  • No Amp needed
  • Open Back-ish

:red_circle: HifiGuides Amazon link

Reviews…

Z Reviews

Metal571

Jewsha Velbor

These headphones don’t get enough love.

Steve really knew what he was talking about in his review of them. The sound is laid back but detailed enough and the distortion figures are exemplary for a dynamic and the bass is flatter than any open Sennheiser I’ve heard

The Hawks and the their closed sibling the Owls get a big recommendation from me

4 Likes

@AFK Indeed!

I see the problem that your had must get a chance to know these. In a back and forth switchero they at first seem “muffeld”. But I´ve you search for the ultimate relaxing rock cans, give them a try.

In the current final days of sale, they are a steal for the price.

1 Like

They are great headphones, I sold mine and really miss them, I need a new pair, especially at their current price.

I agree these are a good headphone. I don’t understand the negative reactions in terms of them sounding odd compared to others. At $250 now on Amazon I’m glad I went for it.

Cries in original nighthawk MSRP purchaser

Edit: still worth though, haven’t heard something like it since

2 Likes

I am thinking of getting these, They look cool, and sound unique to a lot of people. Anyone have any music choices they love with these? a song preferably not a genre

I see a few of these used for under $200, considering them as my first real set of headphones. Coming from some cheapo Logitech headset, and apple ear pods haha. Would these be good for someone new to the scene, who intends to also competitively game a little with them?

Good for music, but would most likely be wonky sounding for gaming. It’s the wrong sound signature that might let some people down for comp gaming, but would most likely be fine for casual

I bought a pair used and i really enjoyed the dark warm sound. It is quite good when i want to relax at night with their laid back sound but very detailed.

Here is a tip for you guys: when i bought them, the previous owner was somekind of hippie and they a hard incense smell (which i hate as much as i hate a kick in the groin). I tried to carefully wash the earpads but the pleather started to peal at my touch. I was dissapointed but not defeated. I had a pair of brainwavz angle real leatther pads laying around from another headphone mod and i just popped the plastic frame form the OEM earpads, carefullly placed it into the brainwavz sleeves and folded the sleeve close to the docking pins (just enough to expose them) and placed them back. Same sound, better comfort and byebye smell!

3 Likes

I just got these and i’m wondering what is it about them thats different? I got the Carbon version. I’m not really detecting how its different. and also it doesnt sound dark to me, maybe a little warm. Does anyone know what the other pads are for? how do they change the sound?

1 Like

I just got these in as well! I agree that it doesn’t sound awkwardly dark, but it certainly doesn’t sound bright (which is what I was looking for anyways). I would say there is a strange and indescribable W shaped curve though. The bass is punchy and responsive when it comes in, but not overwhelming. The mids are warm and nice and the trebles are politely rolled off.

As for pads, I cannot decide which one to use. I made a post on a different thread. I think the stock/pleather ones sound better, but the suede ones are more comfortable and bass responsive.

The presentation of the highs and the overall sound is also fairly unique too. That’s what kinda give them a strange dark sound to me imo

yeah, like their dark and bright at the same time. it also kind of sounds like a small room too

It’s just something that I personally won’t sell in my collection lol, it’s just unique and I like them for that

2 Likes

OK, FIRST Impression:
HAHAHA :muscle: BEST $199 I have spent in a long time (at least a month :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: )! First of all let me say my personal unboxing experience of these was so very pleasant. Nice outer protective box for shipping, then another plain white inner protective box, then comes the very nice pleather case. Perfect protection, albeit a bit large for travel purposes.

As we open the case I’m feeling really impressed with the level of protection afforded these headphones in shipping from the mfgr. Extra pads, thick non-microphonic rubber cable which took 10 seconds from my heat gun to straighten out. Nice presentation, everything about this is well beyond the price I paid for these. Hell, I even used the carry bag to cover my Koss 95xx on their stand and now they are protected from dust!

Alright these things look good but delicate, I don’t expect them to last 20 years but they ARE comfortable and light. Next slap them on my Emotiva BasX and start throwing EDM, metal, and crazy latin music at them, they take the gobs of power and volume spews forth from them real nice. They wiggle my ears w/bass but I gotta push them hard to feel the vibrations. They tweet where I want tweet and boom where there should be boom. What they are doing exceptionally well is NOT bottoming out or distorting, and I am pushing them well past the level where hearing damage occurs.

If you don’t value your hearing and want something that will play club, techno, heavy metal, EDM, etc. LOUD and not bottom out hurry up and jump on these before they are gone forever. I need to use much more expensive headphones to get the same absurd volume levels.

Yeah, I like these upon first impression and very happy I jumped on them while stores are blowing them out. Based on what folks were saying, I had a feeling they would be good for allot of the “fake” music (EDM, metal, Techno, club etc) I listen to. The fact that they take real watts and haven’t blown up yet is a nice added bonus!

4 Likes

I’m curious to see what you think of them after some prolonged use when you get used to the signature :+1:

Yeah, I totaled my ears for the evening, I’m sure I messed up a few of the poor little fuzzies in my ear canal. It was fun though. These sound pretty good with music that doesn’t have any voices in it, they slap out the club stuff well. I’m gonna let them play on the stand for a day or two and see what they do with real music afterwards.

Edit to add: These remind me of being at a big open space club like that big old church they turned into a club in NYC back in the early 90’s. The music is there but parts are kinda far away because some of the speakers are up over your head. It’s really pleasing to me and again, fond memories. How the hell did they do this?

Kinda funny, audio quest are known for making 1000$ cables. i get my nighthawks and the cable is defective.

4 Likes

These are on closeout at Music Direct for $199.
https://www.musicdirect.com/headphones/AudioQuest-Nighthawk-Carbon-Headphones