đŸ”¶ Audioquest NightHawk

Wow. That’s not good. Is there a way to get the cable replaced? I mean, personally I think it isn’t a very good cable though.

As to the pads changing sound

The suede gave a little bit more bass and are more comfortable imo, and the protein leather add some brightness and a little bit more treble with a little less bass.

I contacted the company i bought it from and they want me to call in and trouble shoot. afterwards i supposed they’ll replace the cable.

Mine were as well. I called them up and was able to get an upgraded replacement cable.

lol, i think audioquest are just complete sham artists. If it wasnt for their DAC’s and headphones they would be complete trash. How do you sell 1000$ cables and not be a con artist?

2 Likes

Thought it was only me, but the cable that came with mine also seemed of poor quality, is always getting tangled and bunching together. I absolutely love the headphones though. Is what I use daily

I didn’t have problems with my cable. I got the Carbon version. Maybe the cable on the wood colored first model was bad?

I think they are throwing sketch cables in there for the sale personally

1 Like

That’s a shame.
The headphones are great but imo I think Audioquest rips people off a lot.

Also a lot of audioquest dealers will try to push hard if people buy a slightly higher end product like a tv/projector, speakers or amp they will really push hard even for their higher end cables from my experience. They really try to sell you that you NEED one of their cables

1 Like

I think many of their cables and products are good, it’s just that I think they are overpriced a lot of the time.

To the members that purchased these earlier this month:
What’s the update after being “half-way” from burning in? How’s it sound now?

I am enjoying the “weird” sound signature for sure. I feel that it pulls the detail from every region without being too overwhelming in any of them. It has replaced my HD600s as my daily drivers.

3 Likes

Yes, these really do sound different, I like them very much. They are not my preference as daily drivers BUT they are absolutely enjoyable and have earned their place on one of my shelves. I have about 30hrs or so of "Burn in " time on them and honestly I hope they don’t change. They still make my music sound like I am in a large open space and I like this.

1 Like

To my ears, they sounded a tad muddier at first. After a long burn-in period, I think they have tightened up slightly, and the detail is better. I have owned these for over 1 year now, and they are my favorite headphone ever.

1 Like

The NYC club
 former church
 Limelight?
I suppose my memories aren’t all that fond, and maybe the comparison with the sound of the Nighthawks is appropriate. I am thus far thoroughly unconvinced by the headphones, myself. But yeah something cavernous about them, with the usual “hard to describe” caveat.

Maybe I just need another 100 hours burn in :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yep, I believe that was the name of the club, Limelight, thanks for remembering, that was a long time ago for me.

I put the soft squishy ear pads on, a bit cooler than the leather for my ears. I wish I could do a good job describing sounds but I can’t. All I can say is that these have a different sound signature than most and folks will either enjoy it or not. I like having things that sound different and these add some nice spice to the mix of headphones I own. They are their own thing and add another layer of flavor to my music. They are very light and comfortable on my head, and being offered a second pad choice added another layer of value to them for me.

Limelight’s been a long time for everybody
 mid-late 80s for me. Took me a bit of brain wracking. Interesting history for the New York location: Church, rehab, club, club with murders, market, club, fitness center
 I just looked it up on Wikipedia and scrolled down to the NYC section:

On the headphones — totally understand wanting variety, and totally understand dif’rent strokes anyway! I haven’t rid myself of my pair, thinking maybe they hold a fascination even if I don’t seem to want to put them in my head these days.

1 Like

We should have a thread for the carbon edition. its supposed to sound different from the original. does the original also have the bio-cellulose diaphragm?

The carbon has a slightly more agreeable tuning and a different cable, otherwise they are similar

Is the carbon the one that looks black in pictures instead of dark brown? That’d explain differences in look, that was really confusing me : p

1 Like