Auteur/Darkvoice vs Arya/RNHP

Getting out of what? The RNHP? I have that for things that don’t take to tubes well, like my headset or my Sarda, since balanced armatures don’t work well with tubes. If you mean the Tuba, I would say with stock tubes and paired with my aeolus, there is an increase in the soundstage width, and clarity and naturalness brought to vocals and instruments that is mindblowing. It also gets rid of any feeling of the headphones being dark.

When I got my rnhp, I liked it a lot, but the next day, the Tuba came in and it drove me crazy how much better it sounded. It was my favorite moment since I started into this hobby and it showed me that my preconception about tubes being undesirable was completely wrong. And I had never enjoyed music so much as when I got that amp.

6 Likes

Are you using the stock pads with your Aeolus?

1 Like

No, I’m using the universe lambskin perforated pads. They sound the most balanced to me and are the ones I settled on out of the 4 recommended pads on the zmf website. The aeolus pads you disliked actually sound way better on the tuba, and they went from dark to slightly dark. And my pads of choice don’t sound dark at all.

2 Likes

Well is the RNHP is a little warm thats great for me. These Arya headphones have so much treble

2 Likes
1 Like

The hum is common when tube rolling on the DV. It does go away in time. As for which tubes to use, there’s a thread for that:

Darkvoice 336SE tube rolling

sweet! thanks guys i’ll try it

If you have further issues with hum, I’d direct you to the darkvoice thread. The fitz mod solves the hum problem. I did the fitz mod on my darkvoice before I sold it. Its relatively simple if you have basic soldering skills. I posted how to do the mod in that thread.

1 Like

Granted my ear isn’t a seasoned one but it took me many burn in hours and many many more listening hours for me notice what the tubes are doing and why I like it (that said I’m still not overly impressed but I hope different tubes will rectify this)… it wasnt the stark contrast I was expecting… maybe just try to let it burn in and enjoy it and get a feel for it before comparing and testing

1 Like

Mostly agree here. Because of burn in time (which is lengthy on DV) and the time it takes to physically switch tubes (made worse by the necessary warm up and cool down time), it’s basically impossible to do A/B testing with different tubes unless you have multiple identical units.

Are you talking about the DV’s stock tubes? In which case I also mostly agree. Rolling the pre to a Tung-Sol 6SN7GTB added speed and resolution but still kept a pleasing tube flavor. It did take well over 50 hours of burn in time for the hum to go away enough, though.

1 Like

Yes that’s correct… I have ordered a power and pre (NOS NIB JAN RCA 6AS7G and a NOS NIB Sylvania JAN CHS 6SN7GT VT-231) that I’m looking forward to trying out

3 Likes

That was actually one of my favorite combinations, although I preferred the Ken Rad VT-231 black glass most.

1 Like

Yeah I’m pretty sure you were helping guide my purchases in the tube rolling thread so thanks :+1:

2 Likes

NP. Without the fitz mod, I had to burn in most tubes only over night. The power tubes/6AS7 I never had hum issues with.

2 Likes

The whole cheap OTL amp is what tubes sound like it really a falsehood Zeos seems to keep reinforcing.

Tube amps have a whole spectrum of sounds, they all pretty much give you some 2nd order harmonic distortion (to varying degrees from inaudible to obvious) which tends to make the sound “richer” (I’m deliberately avoiding warmer here because it isn’t about frequency response).

They can add “air” and openness to a sound stage, and make it seem bigger (this is more pronounced with higher end equipment).

They can be slower than solid state amps (though again not always) which imparts that syrupy laid back sound to the music. But they can also be very fast.

They can exhibit rolled off treble, though IME this is only on the lower end, where cheaper transformers or coupling caps are used.

It all comes down to design and part selection.

The Tuba is on the “Dryer” side that usually refers to an amp that’s relatively fast with lower levels of 2nd harmonic distortion. It’s Tubyness (to use a Zeos term) is subtle but present, and you still get the air and improved staging.

7 Likes

Thanks for this. I found it helpful and informative.

Zeos’ strength continues to be the breadth of gear, particularly in the budget-to-mid tier price categories, he reviews. I find his reviews useful for informing viewers about a decent sized chunk of the audio landscape, but as I’ve gotten farther into audio myself I see that his ears and interpretations of that landscape are not always accurate.

5 Likes

Zeos has weird ears and with love affair with the NDH20’s makes me think he likes restricted dynamic drivers a ton. Sometimes you have have to think people had different ears + preferences.

As far as the RNHP comments, I find DACs make substantial a difference.

1 Like

Well Zeos loves the Sendy Aiva too. He seems to like a large vareity of sound signatures. he also loves things that are different. Unique. Thats essential to know when you watch his videos. If he reviews something thats the standard headphone or amp hes like “meh, its ok…” Thats probably why he doesnt like reviewing DACS so much lol.

He also doesnt like diminishing returns. expensive audio equipment when you can get so close to it with cheaper gear. He likes detail but not when it interferes with enjoyment of music. He’s mainly about the music

2 Likes

Ok Burning in the russian tube for 24 hours. and no more noise. but WOW. BIG difference in sound. Sounds great! This is almost rivaling the RNHP if not just out right beating it. and the Arya doesnt sound that bad in it. Aren’t planars bad for otl tube amps?

2 Likes

Ok i just cant get over the change in this thing. The stock tubes must have been junk! Funny cause they look identical. The Auteur now sound more full than the Arya. Which now sounds more unatural and less body. so crazy. I think i love tube amps! :grinning:

1 Like