Bad Guy Good Audio Rankings and stuff (under construction) (Part 1)

That’s awesome news… I am so happy for you :hugs:

5 Likes

Somewhat controversial opinion…

Would I prefer to not have to EQ? Of course. But do I think virtually every headphone or IEM benefit from it? Yes!

For those who use an Android smartphone I can recommend the app “Poweramp Equalizer”. It’s the best I have found short of Viper4Android.

It looks like this

You can even set your frequency bands yourself and create a perfect EQ setting. EZ PZ!

With the setting in the picture, my Geek Wold GK10 is more enjoyable to listen to than my Audio Lokahi which is 5 times the price. They become utterly transformed once I dial up the missing subbass and dial down the mid bass.

3 Likes

@Resolution will probably rage to death :joy:

4 Likes

There is a PEQ option in that app I believe. That is a better way to EQ than the regular EQ.

4 Likes

Does it need root? I remember reading one that said it needs it.

nope.

3 Likes

Nice, sadly I already have 5K to PEQ, but thanks for sharing.

Speaking of it, I would actually sharing this to those who needs PEQ :smirk:

I was counting on it :joy:

I don’t think it’s unsound to use EQ. It can really fill the gaps and holes of a product.
Of course there is some damage to the naturalness and resolution of the signal but it’s pretty much negligible unless you go apeshit with it.

1 Like

My issue with EQ has always been that I hop sources and IEMs/Headphones too much that even with a good profile system on everything it becomes unwieldy really quick. Also I kinda enjoy the differences that every IEM/Headphone brings to the table, even when it is not my absolute preferred sound signature.

1 Like

You can create EQ presets in the App. Just pick the preset for the current IEM that you’re using :slight_smile: it literally takes 20sec and 3-4 clicks.

It is more creating the profiles for a dozen or so IEMs and a handful of headphones. On multiple computers, with different OSes… a few portable devices. Then if you factor in the different portable DAC/AMPs or dongles I use. It just becomes a hassle and one I don’t care enough to undertake.

1 Like

Putting EQ stuff on Chris’s thread is stupid…how can you review sets if you change the goal posts everytime…makes no sense…eq is what you do when the missus is out :wink:

3 Likes

Glad to hear the taobao side will be able to replace this for you without additional cost. Yea my suggestion would be to use Google translate or any other app to help you communicate with the sellers if they don’t speak any English. If you face any issues that you can’t resolve via the translation app, you can PM me. I speak Mandarin and I’ve been using taobao for years. No promise I’ll be able to help much, but I can try

6 Likes

Thanks, really appreciate this community.

I’m not sure how to deal with the shipping cost and customs cost back, but since the product was literally bricked when they sent it, they better cover all the costs back.

Also, I’m actually not sure I want to give it another go. QC issues seem rife with the Dethonray Honey H1. I knew this going in … Still, I didn’t think it would be this bad.

I’d rather get my money back (at least for now) and look at other options.

1 Like

this bring me back to ViperAudio days via xda

How many of you people on this channel still use DAPs as their main devices? I’m looking for a DAP right now, but most of them are so slow. I mean the best I’m able to find in my budget has a Snapdragon 660 which is based on 14nm and has 4gb ram.

It’s enough for almost any music app. But I’m not sure if my primary streaming service which is Apple Music, will get crashes or not. On Snapdragon 845 with 4gb ram, I still experience crashes.

And the DAP name starts with written Fiio… doesn’t feels alright.

Is a DAP worth it in 2021? or a portable Amp/Dac is enough?

I only use IEMs :neutral_face:

2 Likes

I use dap as my main music source,but I’d say if you stream and you’re on a budget, a cellphone and a dongle is still king.

I love to have separated devices. But sometimes I just grab phone and dongle and go outside doing groceries or similar. My DAP handles streaming just fine, ofc.

One thing I love about my dap (Shanling M3X) is its battery life and warm signature. When I need a clinical one, I plug my dongle on it and use it as a source, while my dongle does the rest.

1 Like

Which dongle do you use with your mobile device? And what’s your fav music app or streaming service?..

I use a very expensive one, but I would say to just use an Apple dongle if you’re on a strict budget and focus on more IEMs for now, unless you are using power hungry iems atm like planars or some tribids.

I run mostly local files (flac). In your case, I’d do flac on dap, use phone with dongle for streaming and finding new music.

I use tidal since its free with my phone subscription. I use it for on the go/dont care for finding/trying new music. Everything I love, I get it in flac form later :slight_smile:

2 Likes

at the desk: computer with desktop dac/amp
if I travel light, just a dongle like W2 or S1 with phone
When I know I will have enough time, I will take a DAP for my local files and/or streaming

I admit that the better the dongles become, the less I use my DAP.

3 Likes