Bad Guy Good Audio Rankings and stuff (under construction) (Part 1)

Thanks a lot for this. Sounds epic!

1 Like

:zap: :zap: :boom: CNY is very longā€¦

1 Like

thanks for the description. would you say its possible to achieve (or even surpass) the warmth and engagement of the Hana on Olina using EQ?
I really donā€™t like the aesthetics of Hana and Olina is just gorgeous!!

1 Like

Yes.
Hana 2021 is a warmer 02 with good detail and extension

You could input 1 low freq bump and be right there :+1:
I imagine a lot of Mele owners who get Olina will end up doing precisely that.
My longtime followers know for years I did 1 bump for Sony EX1000 and enjoyed it

6 Likes

Hiya! So Olina is not sibilant at all, but it has more treble and air than Mele, right? And you mentioned in your video that it is just slightly different to the O2 in the treble - does this add detail to the sound sig?

And howā€™s the soundstage? O2 soundstage is pretty average, but has amazing imaging, so I wonder if Olina will have similar or better soundstage?

1 Like

Sibilant? Nah. DD only sets gotta really f*** up to go screechy ssssssssssss
Put a BA in after 5Khz and the odds f that go up tremendously. Follow up to Mele was an unnamed project with DD+ dual BA and that looked great on a graph but just sounded like a metal whistle so ditched and went for a DD

BAā€™sā€¦this is how to tune em

Ideal DD types compared to ideal BA (my library)

7 Likes

great question ā€¦ Iā€™m also curious about stage on these

Thank for the detailed reply, but I donā€™t think you answered my questions:

1. Does Olina have better treble extension than the Mele? To your ears, not just by graphs. Just curious as I have the O2 and it has much more extension and air than Mele
  2. Soundstage?

Iā€™m mainly asking because I bought the Olina and really canā€™t wait for it to arrive lol so I want to hear more about them. Thanks again!

3 Likes

They are the same driver tuned almost identical. It has excellent extension and itā€™s resolution lends to great imaging.
Psychoacoustics is real. Obviously earplugs (IEM) giving any sense of space is an illusion created by manipulating the response curve.
Mele has less energy after 5Khz and that is precisely why it is more intimate and lacking air.
Olina has the energy to give that sense of space on live recordings and in general

Questions are cool. You spent cash. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Psych, super pumped!! :raised_hands::raised_hands::raised_hands: Hopefully we have enough people on HifiGuides to complete the verses!

2 Likes

Itā€™s going to be fun. The real fun is going to start when folks start dropping pics of the lyrics on the cards. That was my visionā€¦
Selling is the 1st step but there is no fun in that really.
I donā€™t think anyone in this hobby has done anything like this.
Musicā€¦ :musical_note: :notes: :guitar: :drum: :violin: :trumpet: :musical_keyboard:

6 Likes

This is the best example of ā€œwhen you love what you do, youā€™ll succeedā€
I wish you the bestā€¦!

4 Likes

i think the same driver definitely has a similar soundstage, imaging, and resolution. The case is the same as the Tinhifi T3+ and Aria. Both have the same driver. What sets it apart is the sound tuning. T3+ is more v-shape, Aria is more linear. But you can feel the driver characters are same. Differences in housing design and nozzle diameter may affect the soundstage. The quality of the cable and the eartips model can also have an effect. But donā€™t expect much difference.

3 Likes

Guys I wonder if thereā€™s been a comparison between DQ6S / CCA CRA. iā€™m going to buy Olina + a budget IEM which is going to be CRA or DQ6A

1 Like

Yeah, here you go: DQ6 vs DQ6S vs CCA CRA (Live Stream) - YouTube

6 Likes

I have bought both and am awaiting their arrival. Iā€™m not a reviewer so any comparison I can give will very basic and subjective, however, I will try my best to provide a comparison. I also have Mele, KZ ZEN, KZ ZEN Pro, Blon 05S, Blon 03, KZ ZS10 Pro, Tin T2, Moondrop Starfield, Moondrop Quarks, and the Tripowin Tea in my budget collection, so I will be doing a marathon comparison session. Now all I have to do is create a new listening playlist.

I have bought the Olina as well.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s an incredible collection. Iā€™ve got two at the moment and feel thatā€™s one too many.

So close . this tea mk2 will be a big challenge for 500-1000$ iems hope we get a good resolution to complete the mission

2 Likes

Then you have this if you like it hot? :volcano::hot_pepper: lolā€¦

6 Likes

You know, I donā€™t think itā€™s been said before that different driver types should be tuned to different targets and it is, indeed, an intriguing proposition.

Iā€™ve personally noticed that estats in the treble, pretty much regardless of how much I EQ boost them, donā€™t sound screechy leading me to believe they should possibly be tuned with a higher, less drastic, treble roll-off.

3 Likes