Bad Guy Good Audio Rankings and stuff (under construction) (Part 1)

How is slam/dynamics on the serials? & stage?

Iā€™m going to have to pick a set up butā€¦

I canā€™t be the only one that thinks the faceplate looks a lot like one of Dr. Huxtables sweaters right?

5 Likes

I knew it looked familiar, and I think you just nailed it!

1 Like

^ yeah this - happy I jumped because my curiosity got the better of me.

4 Likes

I have a Tea 2 and never heard the original. Also, own the Hook X and Serial. I find them all to be great choices. But, between all three Iā€™d have to give it to the Hook X if only given one choice. Itā€™s just has a special sound to it. Besides the planar I think the open back design helps it shine. I definitely notice I difference if I cover the openings.

10 Likes

Got a surprise that my Thor Mjolnir 2 and Kinera Urd will be here by the end of day. Will have only been two days since shipping and making its way to South Florida. Super stoked to hear my first impressions.

6 Likes

What the actual f?

That is mind-boggingly amazing shipping time.

I think mine is expected to arrive May 10th. ( i live in Sweden).

Please give immediate impressions on the Mjƶlnir 2 :pray:

2 Likes

Itā€™s a DD with graph.

6 Likes

I was thinking the same thing. I feel like the hook would be a better choice since I have the Olina. @hawaiibadboy would you consider the serial to be an upgrade to the Olina or a different beast?

Literal first 30 minute impression with some Treacherous Three, Beastie Boys, Metallica and Dazz Band. Do you like your midbass thiccck? Cause that was the first thought to come to me on Bestie Boys - Hey Ladies. I mean itā€™s like natural peanut butter thick in glorious ways. These ainā€™t for those who like it thin which Iā€™m 100% okay with.

And funny enough despite being so thick the treble is well presented. The bass doesnā€™t seem to be dominating over it. All while not being piercing our fatiguing. Imaging and staging all appear to be very good and details are still able to pull through.

6 Likes

That looks pretty nice to the naked eye, might have to keep an eye on this one!

1 Like

I think the serial is an upgrade to Olina.

7 Likes

Mids Recessed?

Resolution & detail?

Bass slam?

Sub bass depth?

Treble extension?

Sorry Iā€™m just very excited :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

You showing your age!

Edit: Me too cause I got the reference. :woozy_face:

1 Like

hmmā€¦ interesting :smirk: Waiting for the retail price. I can only afford at $150. Above this price, goodbye :cry:

i probably will buy a mele just to see if i agree with the sound signature or i want something else (i like neutral like the CRN which i bought and really liked, but needed more punch)

Iā€™m going to stay in my lane and not get to in depth. Iā€™m still adjusting to learning all the terms and being able to identify them while listening.

Detail is there while not the most obvious or forward of my IEMs. Itā€™s definitely got more detail than my Xenns Up but, not as much as the Tea 2. Most of what Iā€™m listening to is pretty bass heavy. Iā€™m guessing the elevated midbass is responsible for masking some details.

Bass slam is the highlight of this for me. LL Cool J - I Need Love, 2Pac - Hit Em Up and Metallica - Seek and Destroy just have powerful impactful slam in the midbass. At higher volume I can say it almost becomes to much but, itā€™s definitely well controlled and doesnā€™t seem bloated. Really shines well at lower volumes or probably in a noisier environment.

Subbass has good to great depth depending on the song. On busier tracks utilizing heavy subbass and midbass the midbass seems to shine and take away from the depth. However, on subbass dominant tracks the subbass depth is great.

Unfortunately I still havenā€™t really come to be able identify treble extension. I understand it in principal but, Iā€™ve never really heard a song or IEM where the two clicked. It would be unfair to Thor for me to comment further here.

6 Likes

ā€œWell-extendedā€ treble would be IEMs like the Olina (mid-volume/modded) and Variations where the soundstage/signature is very airy and has a light-floaty feeling to it. Also means more detail in the treble, and no areas in the higher fr thatā€™s harsh and jumps out more than the others high fr, in other words very good upper dynamics.

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for the reply and break down. Think Iā€™m able to understand it now after testing a bunch of my IEMs. Audio Hekili seemed to be the one where I noticed it the most. Maybe that explains why I find itā€™s treble presentation to be so pleasant and unique. Sounded to be present on the Tea 2 also just not to the same extend. Possibly on the Hook X too but the treble sounds so unique and smooth on it I could be getting confused.

Afterwards went on the Xenn Up and it definitely seems to be in the opposite direction. Maybe just ever so slightly present. Still my favorite current IEM though in my collection. If itā€™s finally clicked Iā€™d have to say the Mjolnir 2 is damn close to the Audio Hekili to me. Just seems sometimes the airiness and detail may get a little absorbed by the higher midbass.

1 Like

Youā€™ve got it - Hekili/Lokahi might have the best (certainly most noticeable to me) treble extension out of any IEM Iā€™ve tried Iā€™m pretty sure.

1 Like