Bad Guy Good Audio Rankings and stuff (under construction) (Part 1)

Beoplay EX, B&O new TWS = “ok-ish” Nice fit, nice case, but SQ is acceptable, nothing stunning.
@nymz Neobuds pro still undefeated.

I only bought the xenns up because you recommended it.

Xenns is everything you say it is and more. I was hoping you were wrong with this so i could save money.

Bass slams hard as heck but the overall sound is balanced to my ears. Doesn’t sound like the stereotypical basshead iem.

Some of the other reviews I’ve read about the up leads me to believe they never listened. Calling it dark and v shaped isn’t true at all to me. Dope iem

2 Likes

In the case of the Lokahi, I found it to have a problematic amount of BA timbre throughout its FR. The treble in particular didn’t sound authentic. Also had some peaks that eventually tired me out, as well as having too much energy overall.

In the end, it became a chore to listen to them.

1 Like

Reminds me of the hot takes on EJ07 OG talking about it being dark.

The XENNS is not dark either and not lacking in treble/harmonics…and it kicks.
Thanks 4 tha trust :pray: :notes:

4 Likes

Yo bro, wanna test this out? :rofl:

3 Likes

Where the heck did this come from?! Pretty set. 11 BA though? Definitely interested in hearing impressions for sure.

The u18s is dark for sure. Makes the xenns up sound bright. U18s maybe the darkest iem i ever heard.

Does the legend x slam harder than the xenns up?

I can’t comment on the Legend X as I only temporarily owned the Legend Evo. Up slams better but not necessarily harder to me. Maybe it’s the beryllium driver coming into play. Bass on the Evo seemed to uncontrolled. Up seems well controlled and refined. Ultimately sold the Evo.

If slam is what your after and don’t mind the subbass dip the Thor Mjolnir MK2 is awesome. It’s only IEM in my rotation that has more satisfying slam and depth. It can be much though sometimes and the Xenns Up definitely have a better balance. But, damn throw on some old school hip-hop or thrash metal and Thor hammers hard. Way better money spend and saved over the Legend Evo.

3 Likes

So the Thor Mjolnir MK2 must slam harder than the Canon too huh?

1 Like

Jamming on the Mjolnir MK2 right now. Let me get the Canon out and A/B for final thoughts. Been a few days away from the Canon.

3 Likes

Going through my IEM collection…

“Oh what do we have here…?”

Untangles cable

Who’s that Pokémon?!

It’s oBravo Cupid!

With a little tinkering (Moondrop Spring Tips, high quality copper balanced cable & some EQ) It is possible to mitigate some of its shortcomings while retaining what makes it an interesting listen. It needs a lot of power in order to stretch its legs. Also sounds best with a deep fit but slightly loose in the ear to not create pressure in the canal.

It runs a DD and Planar in parallell, no crossover! The imaging is slightly fuzzy as a result, but it does deliver a speaker-like presentation. It is a different and fun, extremely energetic sound sig as the FR graph suggests below:

Detail is much better than I remember. It has a spacious and roomy, kind of chaotic presentation.
One thing to note is that it is extremely tip and fit sensitive. It even puts the MEST MK2 to shame in that unfortunate category. I can definitely see why it was rated very badly by some reviewers - they could not achieve a good fit.

Just wanted to talk about it. Anyone else has it or has heard it?

Immensely interested in what more you have to say about the Mjölnir Mk2 :slight_smile:

I’m expecting my pair by May 9th. /Sigh

1 Like

I think I will wait till you get your pair.

Went back and and forth for a few listens of Rush - Limelight, Steve Miller Band - Take the Money and Run, 10cc - Good Morning Judge, Danzig -Mother and Grateful Dead - Touch of Grey. Winner goes to Thor - Mjolnir MKII. It’s not by a milestone though.

Kick drums seem close but, Thor just reaches deeper with slightly more punch. Dare I say you can feel more air being moved. Canon came across as slightly softer in comparison; still punchy though.

Midbass is a clear winner though for me. This seems to be where I can really start to distinguish the difference. Bass guitar just has more weight in the low frequency and definitely more growl through the mids. Snare drums sound more satisfying and have more of boxy presence at the mids.

The electric guitars are weird and I’m not sure the best way to describe it. Overall presence on the Canon is more forward and bright. But the electrics guitars lower presence seems more evident is my thought. Like it just sound sounds thicker.

Overall though the two are great choices. Biggest differences I can hear is in the treble region. And where I think one should ultimately make the choice for which they prefer. I find the Thor Mjolnir MKII to be an easier listen and my preferred. Canon isn’t fatiguing to me but, if I’m using the terms correctly, it sounds more bright and forward. Someone please correct me if that usage is wrong or knows what I’m talking about. It plays well for the most part just sometimes seems to be more than I like. It does have the benefit though of allowing more detail to come through.

Edit: Definitely should mention this is with the switches at default setting. Going to mess more with them later and see the changes.

5 Likes

Usage is fine we will see when more people review. It is a nice review btw.

Does anybody have a graph for this thing? :eyes:

1 Like

Anyone have any information on this from the Thor Mjolnir MK2 description?

“The rear acoustic chamber is also precisely designed to exact dimensions, and is fitted with a replaceable Knowles dampening apparatus, which is used in balanced armature drivers. This design allows for pressure relief, but also allows the user to change the rear dampening level by switching out the apparatus. The bass response can thus be effectively tuned to the needs of the user.”

My Mjolnir only came in a Linsoul tin and no extras or pamphlet. What are these magical dampers, where do I get them and how do I change them?

I haven’t seen any for the new version. I just blind bought them knowing they were a limited and hoping they graphed close to the original.

1 Like

I’m afraid they (the DIY guy that made Mjölnir MK2) are referring to the original tuner & assembler of the IEM when they say “user”.

Next vid…or the Moondreop CHU

9 Likes