Bad Guy Good Audio Rankings and stuff (under construction) (Part 1)

I only just saw the video, didn’t realize Mahina is moonlight lol

To my ears - because in my country we’re still taught a lot of Latin in school - I thought you were going for the traditional Latin pronunciation of 'machina ’ (as in, Deus ex machina [machine]) because that’s how it’s pronounced (except its MAhina, not maHIna, of course)). Even if it’s not that, this sure came in as a hi-fi Deus ex machina :smiley:

1 Like

So I purchased the Kinda Lava at launch buy I couldn’t get into it because of this reason;

It lacked immersiveness. Music played in exclusively infront of me as opposed to infront & around me. It sounded distant and forced me out of the music to appreciate it from a distance. Happened regardless of source.

How is the Mahina in this regard? How is the stage? Does it give that club/car audio feel or more like 2.0 traditional stereo?

1 Like

Few words regarding Kai on usability mostly:

• the stock cable is probably one of my most favourite, if not the most out of any stock cables I have seen. It is very soft and supple (even more than Faael hibiscus) and I am a sucker for that as the usability is grea. The hardware is also very nice and visually it is nicely fitting to the design of the shells. The braiding/insulation material looks a bit on the cheap side - like similar to the OG tea cable, but it is fine enough for me - it is 70$ still
  • the comfort without good fit does not mean anything for me. I may be in minority, but I had this type of scenario with both Mele and Olina - they both felt theoretically perfect, but I constantly wanted to wiggle them around as I never achieved proper proper seal. In this case luckily I have both comfort and good seal right from the start without heavy tip rolling (right now with BGVP W01 tips). This is something I was looking for.
  • the case is quite nice, but I find it a bit too small for the set and a few times already my spare tips that I am carrying around fell off the case on the floor/ground when pulling the set out, so I needed to clean them up.

Very short impression on the sound:

• first note - I am using MEST all the time for 4th month straight, so I am a bit off with fair evaluations
  • Kai definitely stands it’s ground for what it is and what price it has against Mest. It feels much more “low-res”, but one look at the price and graphs should tell you why.
  • As compared to Olina (from memory, so with big grain of salt) - Kai is much less engaging and less wow factor giving (Olina is generally really special for the price). But - it is not always necessarily a bad thing. Olina was a bit too harsh and energetic for me in some songs, Kai is more laid back and easy to listen.
  • compared to S12 Kai is also less engaging, less resolving and less energetic. Very similar story in that sense to Olina - S12 is better for vibing actively to the music, less for long background listening without conscious presence
  • I am looking for a musical set to listen in the background at work when not using speakers - a set that I would fit with Kinera Gramr and use for conference calls (KZ CRN at the spot right now).
    Connecting the laid back nature of Kai’s tuning with great fit and comfort and I think I have a winner for that spot (unless Truthear zero that would be fighting for the same place that I should have next week would blow my mind)

Generally a keeper, even just for the unusual looks (worst case scenario I would give it as a jewellery for my wife :smiley: )

6 Likes

Ok, one extra (little or huge depending on your life choices) minus on the usability and visual aspect. There is no way to hide this new purchase from your special one. I have some cases in the past when new set was similar enough to the one owned, so she never realised, or just simple “I changed cable” was enough :smiley:

5 Likes

Im on the opposite side. Im looking to order more of these for my other sets.
Perfect for my use case!

I’m still down for a temp exchange at some point. Would hate fior either of us to spent so much on something we won’t enjoy and then loose money on resale.

2 Likes

I also do not get Aria love at all.

I really get it but muse well tell her as she going to eventually find out. 40 years as an audiophile you might as well tell from the start.

1 Like

My question is can you see yourself rocking out with them because the music is moving you and singing around the house with them ect. ect. :smiley:

I use Chu for this

Since getting it, it’s been my “set for whatever”. I keep it in the case of my switch for example, or thrown in my backpack to make sure I have a 3.5mm earphone with decent sound if anything goes wrong. Absolutely can’t fail at the price!

1 Like

Yes, for sure. It is less engaging for me meaning it does not ask for your attention constantly, but subconsciously depending on the mood and situation you could start rocking and singing to the music you are listening (it has really good kick for that). It can be an easy listen for that fact and this is cool (e.g I felt asleep in coziness with them in my ears yesterday) :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just wanna share some of my story. I’m another one that follow HBB and agree with his recommend for many years. I have EJ07 which I quite like so when Kinda lava came out, I almost instantly buy it but… its sound don’t impress me at all. Almost lose my faith in him then the person who buy Kinda lava from me say it’s the best iem he heard at this price range. Also, I buy mest mk2 and I like it a lot so faith restored lol. Waiting to see if Mahina could beat mest mk2 or not😁

2 Likes

Yeah the presentation of the Lava was strongly in the opposite camp for my preferences.

It ruined it for me…

The MEST 2 had the tech and stage and imaging but not the tuning I wanted. That’s what everyone says about it pretty much.

@hawaiibadboy reminder dm :smiling_face_with_tear:

These golden nuggets are more detailed than the Thor MK2 by virtue of the smaller driver and the balanced tuning.

It has great inherent detail but the stock tuning is not inclined to highlight the details that are there.
Simply because it is slightly dipped in the presence region in its stock tuning, it comes across as ever so slightly shouty and “twangy” to me.

It does take well to EQ thankfully so I raise the sub bass by 2 dB and 4-8kHz area by 1,5dB to get it more in line with my preferences.

I think I’m especially sensitive to dips in 7-10kHz area. Too little energy here tend to dull the perception of transient attack which for me takes away much needed and appreciated excitement.

Bass is really snappy and the driver is quick for a DD at this price point.

Driver is capable of bass but I wouldn’t bring up the word basshead. With EQ is can thump some.

If you need at least 1 DD set in your collection, you might as well get this one. You don’t buy DD’s for technicalities.
Does very little wrong with no annoying sound characteristics.

It’s a really good set. Cable is really nice too.

10 Likes

(post deleted by author)

2 Likes

PSA: It’s time for the semi-monthly ear cleaning! Get that muthafukkin’ wax outta there!

Don’t use Q-tips; use wax disolvant liquid.

4 Likes

That is not how the term is used.
It is completely 100% unrelated to the frequency response range.
100%

Dynamics…
the difference between the loudest and quietest sounds. It’s measured in decibels, or dB for short. In a single audio track,**

I don’t care if you like or dislike or otherwise any set including my collabs but please do not completely miss represent well known and defined terms in Acoustic Science that most folks who talk about audio gear already know

The-dynamic-range-of-an-audio-signal-is-the-difference-between-the-loudest-high-level

That’s dynamics and dynamic range

That’s a frequency graph.

Dynamic range has nothing to do with tuning and everything to do with transducers and the replay (output) of analogue or digital input

7 Likes

Thanks for feedback. Yeah, DD’s are not the res kings

1 Like