Bad Guy Good Audio Rankings and stuff (under construction) (Part 1)

I really enjoy tubes, I get stage changes and sometimes tonal changes. But I got started with the vali 2 and tried tube rolling from that. Most changes are from tube type and not tube manufacturer in my experience. I did,it pretty extensively when I had direct possession of a 6xx. Not much testing with iems…

1 Like

That set plus an L&P P6 Pro…

No more, no nothing just :musical_score::musical_score::musical_score::musical_score:

2 Likes

Love these cans…LOVE EM!!!

6 Likes

It’s easy to get hyped over anything in this hobby. It’s great you’re getting started with critical listening. Keep it up. You’ll only get better at discerning the differences in gear.

…and thanks to Chris for posting some of his favorite tracks like Kill Bill that test the capability of gear. As audiophiles, it’s great to share audio that are great examples of the technical abilities of our gear. How else will you know if you’re really hearing what you should be, or if your gear is limiting what you could be hearing.

Thanks to Chris’ Kill Bill suggestion, Kill Bill has been my go-to test track for sub bass. I’ve been blown away by how many headphones struggle attempting to reproduce that sub bass properly. Once you’ve heard it accurately, you’ll know if it’s missing any time you hear it again.

I’ll share one of my personal favorites to test soundstage width.

Yosi Horikawa - Crossing

1 Like

It is great.
Senn 660s Sundara among others…could not do that middle hit and it was clear it wasn’t there

1 Like

Are you planning to get the T50 mk3 Argon or T60 Argon to compare, since they’re easier for other people to find, by any chance?

Argons are about the only headphone where I might actually be happy to deal with imports and customs (since they’re so cheap and seem to punch well above their weight), so I’d be interested to see if the more available models are worth considering.

Yup, I think I have to. I had no idea how old or how good the T50rp MK2 were. I need to review the newer offerings

1 Like

5 Likes

images (3)

Paid premium but those Modhouse Argon T50rp MK2 all mine now.

8 Likes

Cool…

Enjoy :+1:

2 Likes

Exactly. Any headphone/earphone that can’t do it shouldn’t be recommended. I personally wouldn’t consider it HIFI.

Middle hit?

We argee
on a MAJOR point
Sub bass is a part of the replay.
I’m not accepting rolled sub bass anymore that shrill highs.

I see Sundara rec’d all the time. With vids talking about pad swaps and freq changes.

Listen
I open the box
I plug it in
No sub bass.

4 Likes

Exactly. If you can’t even hear a major portion of the recording, there’s a problem, and the Sundara don’t cut it.

Couldn’t agree more. If it’s HIFI and it’s advertised as being able to reproduce subbass, you should be able to hear it. lol If not, it’s not HIFI and it’s fake advertising.

Chris, you might need to give a lesson. It’s very possible people can’t hear that subbass because their equipment can’t replay it properly.

1 Like

I wasn’t objecting to anything, just wondering what he meant by “middle hit”. I’m very aware of the power requirements of planars :slight_smile:

It has nothing to do with power requirements. If you listen to Kill Bill with Sundara, you won’t hear the deep sub bass hit in that song. It can’t reproduce it properly. It’s THAT deep. Many open back headphones can’t.

It’s my opinion if a headphone can’t replay frequencies that it is advertised to be able to, it shouldn’t be considered or labeled as HIFI.

1 Like

Dunu EST 112 Frequency response chart

6 Likes

Here is my own graph on it:

and Super reviews:

3 Likes

Interested to hear your comparison to the Zen. Dunu seems to be on their A-game with these recent releases.

Sounds a lot bigger than ZEN which could be…described as intimate
Am listening now

1 Like