Bad Guy Good Audio Rankings and stuff (under construction) (Part 2)

I never had the original moisture issue, but most of my listening was done when I lived in LA county, where it was probably too dry for that to be a thing. I might have more issues now that I am back in Omaha.

The Z300 is noticeably heavier, and that was the only negative on the comfort for me. Despite being a more triangular shape than Mele, they fit pretty well. The Z300 has a thinner shell, and it makes the nozzle appear longer, but I didn’t notice it in my ears. The Mele and Olina almost felt like they were made for my ears, and I won’t put the Z300 in that camp, but they were good. I tend to have issues with larger shells ( the T3+ is about my upper limit ), or overly molded interiors ( like the KZ CRN ), so fit is a thing I care about.

That makes a ton of sense. I think the Z300 is a great replacement, but might not be a must buy for people that still have the Mele.

2 Likes

Would you think a resin build would cut down on the build up? If that’s a thing and something like the Maka came back I would hop on that like it was Veronica Rodriguez.

1 Like

I would typically take resin over metal. Resin is good for a number of other reasons, like they are never as shocking to put in when they are cold, and they are lighter.

2 Likes

10 Likes

Well my PR2s arrived yesterday…been in my ears for an hour or so this morning.
Ill get the negatives (such as they are) out the way.
Cable isn’t great but at this price that is perfectly reasonable and its adequate.
Its hard to drive. At full chat on my Motorola power its acceptable but not what youd call loud.
So you need an amp but it was fine on my topping nx4 so you dont need a powerhouse and it scales well.
And as far as negatives go, thats it.
If you wanna know what a good planar sounds like, just buy the PR2 and walk away, this is all you’re gonna need.
I have the P1,S12,Wu,Heyday and timeless and in term of my preference it’d be Heyday, Timeless, Wu, S12, P1 but in all honesty, apart from the P1 (which is a bit of an outlier) its no more than a coin toss between all of them.
The PR2 might graph very similarly to the Wu but it sounds more open and less dark than the Wu. It sounds closer to the Timeless and Heyday in term of presentation. YMMV of course.
Solid, articulate bass, inoffensive mids and a smooth treble…resolution is pretty good too.
The PR2 would sit with the Timeless in my listening which given its price is bonkers.
My, haven’t things come a looong way since the P1.!!
HBB is hitting home runs all over the park… :clap: :clap: :clap: i salute you sir

16 Likes

Thanks! Glad you like em. Unless great planar start going into $20 (Chi fi could happen)
That’s the budget Planar with heyday being non budget.

1st 6000 sets had a different on driver dampening and after that it is circuit board and nozzle damp.
They could not make em fast enough by hand without some meshes not lining up perfectly.

Salute to whoever did that all day long for days. Filter on tiny driver, next,next next.

6 Likes

Would the manufacturing changes affect the measurements? Even if not, it might be worth getting a copy of the updated design to measure just to give people peace of mind, there’s some people raising a stink about purportedly boosted high treble frequencies on the PR2 in a way that my copy definitely doesn’t suffer from. Would be a shame for people to pass a set this good because of some rumors.

By the way, got the Z300 in too recently, still need to give it some more listening time, but it’s also a solid set… even quite literally, the metal shells are dope. PR2 wins for me so far but they’re definitely not redundant sets like I feared.

3 Likes

Would be interesting to get confirmation that it is the same driver from the PR1 Pro as well, as have now heard quite a bit of discussion about this being an earlier driver version and this really should be something that is easily cleared up to prevent unfounded rumours.

1 Like

Thanks, glad you like. Hifri has a set to bust open at his leisure. I will have a set coming i ordered via another person as a kinda “control”. Will measure and crack open :v:

6 Likes

I asked Hifri be sent one ASAP. I think he is busy with his CIEM stuff.
I’d crack it open but don’t have my scope out cuz baby is taking up all the spare spaces :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

TRUTHEAR x Crinacle ZERO: RED

3 Likes

Ahhh I was hoping it was a new IEM and not a re-tuning :pensive:

3 Likes

For who has the money :sweat_smile:

1 Like

They look a lot like the Indigo, love to hear them though! they sure raised the price quite a bit over the mk2

8 Likes

@hawaiibadboy are you going to review the new Mest mk3, any ETA?

I may.
I have Multiverse to review now

6 Likes

With the impedance adapter Red looks nice. I’m not going to be picking up them just yet because I’m really happy with Z300 and PR2 and want to give them more listening time, but I might in the future, mostly because I like the idea of having a verified low distortion IEM to compare stuff to.

I think I’m most excited about their potential with higher impedance adapters, so looking forward to seeing how that turns out if you ever get the 75ohm one. The distortion in bass is STUPID low, and the impedance curve raises dramatically in the low end so this might be a stealth basshead IEM if you slap a higher impedance adapter on it and have a powerful enough source to still drive. Or even just EQ.

Here’s the distortion and impedance graphs from ASR:

and

3 Likes
15 Likes

That bodes well. I never got the Heyday, or the Wu Zeitan, making the PR2 an easy pickup for me. My rank order is probably P1, S12, Timeless, and I agree the last two are pretty close.

Mine is probably getting delivered on Monday or Tuesday.

I am looking forward to that, and the Short Bus mods that seem inevitable.

The S12 with an 80 Ohm resistor sounds less spicy in the upper treble.

I have a 220 and 80 Ohm 3.5mm resistor and it was around $12 on Amzon ( from Faaeal ). This was one of my favorite ways to fix some of the overly bright KZ sets. Interesting that it might become mainstream. Jcally sells them at 30, 75, 150, 200, 400, and 600 ohms, for $10 each.

6 Likes