Bad Guy Good Audio Rankings and stuff (under construction) (Part 2)

SE 1/DD 7/BA 4/EST

@Ohmboy
It is a proof of concept for the bass tuning.
The SE is integrating that with a full tribrid

@MMag05 I hear ya. That is also what I wanted from ASG. Fatfreq did it.

3 Likes

There’s a Musician Plus V2 for sale on head-fi, $200, dual BA but super heavy on sub-bass and the rest of the graph looks pleasant. Seller disclosed that the BA just isn’t DD though.

1 Like

Im patiently waiting for the next batch of planars.
I have my DD and my tribrid and a few Planars but wanna know how far the Planar tech can go before i bow out entirely.

2 Likes

Oh I saw that! I’m actually curious about the musician pro SE (if it were available), reference plus, and Hayabusa models.

If you don’t think you could do Maestro SE for the bass, Hayabusa or Sakura look like freaking winners (oh, and have up to $1800 to burn like Maestro SE).

1 Like

But man the SE that’s a whole lotta bass :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

1 Like

But you’re only going to get all that bass when it’s called for. Because it’s so tightly controlled under 300Hz

Classical wouldn’t have much of a whiff of all that sub-bass and will play clean

2 Likes

If they retuned it with @ 72db at 20Hz with a similar glide to the Acoustic X now that’s a money shot set.

1 Like

That’s cool, so they took a little off the deep sub-bass, but it’s still gonna be hella bass. That works for me.

Where did you see news of a retune?

I didn’t just hoping for a future tuning tweak…Maybe a Maestro x HBB? :fire: :+1:

Oh you said IF. I can hear you on that, but I’m good with the FU bass it’s got now.

The Fat Freq Maestro x HBB Maui SE… :smile::+1:

Hey @hawaiibadboy someone over in the head fi Yanyin thread mentioned that the mahina has a different DD than the Moonlight and said Yanyin confirmed it. Is that true?

You might think different if you heard it.
I bought and sold the Empire Ears Legend X because I could never shake/accept that obvious impact that bass was having at all times.
“Reference” for me means Live show.
That is actually what many consider reference.
There have only been studios and mixing boards since the 50’s and Phil’s “Wall of sound” and the whole game modernized but it never moved closer to that which is like being in a venue with a talented musician playing an instrument.
See a full Orchestra at a half shell and feel the string section in your solar plexus.

EDIT: iirc you have seen everyone from Roy Harper to all kinds of live shows.
I need that feel. The neutered bass just kills it for me. Like a mono AM radio is what rolled/polite bass makes me think of.

1 Like

100% that :+1: but live is almost always mixed due to arena/venue inadequate acoustics…but yeah I agree when I saw Arturo Sandoval live at Ronnie scott’s London a couple of tables from the front and man that’s how a trumpet sounds, no mixing just him and the band…same with live orchestral stuff the venue has been designed for that exact purpose…hard for am IEM to recreate for sure.

3 Likes

It’s hard for anything to reproduce whether speakers, headphones, IEMs, earbuds. What we are chasing is the best reproduction to our ears. I’ve told the story before but I went to a concert for my favorite band at the time. I’d never heard them live so I was a little surprised and disappointed when the live versions didn’t sound as crisp and clean as the studio reproductions. The upper mids were elevated and scratchy and everything sounded poorly mixed.

On a lark, I pressed my fingers to the outside of my ear to plug them, and everything instantly sounded like I had expected it to. One lesson learned was they did their sound checks with their earplugs/IEMs in and that’s how you need to listen to it, and another is (obviously) that live is going to be different conditions than through our home consumption methods.

All we can do is find what works for us :slight_smile:

1 Like

:thinking: Why…IEM’s are “In Ear Monitors” designed for musicians to do just that monitor what they’re playing and not struggling to hear what’s coming from an on stage monitor…not what the audience should hear…

4 Likes

That sounds like they didn’t have an F.O.H
The monitors musicians wear are to isolate and focus and is not what is being piped to the audience.

In the end…yeah, agreed.

3 Likes

Both of you make sense to me with those explanations, but it just underscores how every experience is subjective to the person having it. People who don’t wear plugs to shows have a different experience than those who do, and neither is wrong (though with plugs is CERTAINLY safer lol). We simply can’t have a one size fits all solution in this hobby because no one solution could ever fit everybody.

2 Likes

This hobby is super subjective.

A frequency graph is an objective output but interpreting that switches into subjective immediately due to the bias of the interpreter.

This is a Front of house mixer
If you go to a big venue and dont see him in the middle/ middle back…just walk away.
It’s his job to monitor and adjust what the crowd is hearing so if something sounds quite off it is cuz he is sleeping, not there or they are all just mailing it in.
ZERO excuse to be indoors or out and have a bad experience that is SQ related unless you are way behind him or too close to the stage.

Goodnight folks :slight_smile:

Queen-Live-Aid-Bohemian-Rhapsody-took-some-liberties-with-the-truth-1991066

From stage view…he’s in that big house/tent

2 Likes

Oh I was in a small club venue and close to the stage (I’m 5’3 so being too deep will guarantee a poorer experience). So I hit every branch of that tree on the way down lol

2 Likes