Bad Guy Good Audio Rankings and stuff (under construction) (Part 2)

Hey there @hawaiibadboy
Can I ask your opinion about Huawei Freebuds Pro 2? how are these compared to 100-200$ IEMs?
Also Merry Chistmas :christmas_tree: :santa:

1 Like

I’m just sitting here waiting for someone to make a 3DD/2EST Hybrid in the ~$400-600 range.

Dynamic drivers sound natural but struggle with smooth extension… Why isn’t anyone doing this config?

Only one I know of is the VE EXT (2DD/4EST) but that’s 2.5k.

3 Likes

I don’t really know of any. I have the Astrotec Phoenix for the moment that has a single DD with EST. It has a fantastic low end, no problems with the mids (feels like a w-shape where the center w peak is lower than the first and last, but not necessarily v shaped), and I find the treble to be a bit too much. Not painful ,ESTs are special that way, but too high in the mix for my taste. That has an absurdly high new price as well though.

2 Likes

Might want to wait until Q1 2023 :wink:

how is that one treating you? Thats the wood one?

Haha not much more to add - perfectly good for the price I bought/will sell it for, but nothing that displaces the Serial. If it toned down the treble just a tad to allow the mids a but more room and for the bass to be turned up and up, it really does have a fantastic bass sound. Build is lovely as you’d expect from metal and wood, pretty classy!

In SQ?
Realy good. Graphs nice and sounds nice

As to battery life etc …I have not spent enough time to find the quirks all TWS seem to have in one for or another

2 Likes

4 Likes

C2 seems bright yet smooth. I like the dip at 10k which suggests superior imaging depth (if that theory has merit), then an infusion of air around 14-16kHz.

Price?

1 Like

I think $29
I’ll have a vid tomorrow. 1st thoughts anyway.

2 Likes

Do you maybe have the C3 coming too? C2 looks pretty decent so I’m wondering how that one will fare given its higher price, and the physical design definitely looks more comfortable at least.

1 Like

Not sure? Probably am.
These companies are pumping stuff out so fast it’s hard to keep up

3 Likes

It’s a pretty nice problem to have :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

It’s another Aria-clone. But cheaper. REJOICE! :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

I already did my vid.
Has a grainy sound like the Aria too.
The problem with sameface sets is getting crazy.

I thought Kima was so pedestrian i skipped doing a vid.

5 Likes

If the Tin C3 has a better graph, I might be interested in that. If it comes out looking the same (It’s supposed to be Harman tuned), then that’ll probably be a no, too

1 Like

@hawaiibadboy Killer rec on the Maestro Mini. I’m going out on limb and saying it’s the funniest set I’ve heard. It’s everything I wanted the ASG 2.0 and Legend Evo to be and to a degree the EX800ST. No muddied vocals, good imaging/separation and details somehow still pull through. I was convinced it would probably be a catch and release but, it’s staying for sure. Had to decide for myself though. Amazingly it’s doing well on way more of my library than I anticipated. FatFreq definitely put some magic in developing this set. Wonder if it’s the forward outer placement of the BA. Either way thanks again. Definitely a set that deserves more attention outside of the forums and small amount of individuals covering it.

8 Likes

Frankly, there are some other sets in their collection that I’m curious about, but that requires a big leap of faith from people in the community to get to know their whole line.

Or if I get independently wealthy some day…a guy can dream!

1 Like

How does that set compare to the Maestro SE? or @hawaiibadboy?

The SE replaced Elysian X for HBB. Maestro mini ain’t gonna be that good, but at a quarter of the price, mini is probably the best word for it

1 Like