Balanced Headphone Amp

If one has an iBasso DC04 balanced headphone dongle, what is the advantage of a full size balanced desktop headphone amp? I suspect it is features or more power? This question was posed why buy a more expensive amp when both are balanced. My feeling is the iBasso works just fine. I’m using it with a MacBook Air with Hifimans. There was a noticeable difference going balanced. Got me wondering about a desktop amp though…

Thoughts?

1 Like

Some of the more knowledgeable members have written pretty good explanations about balanced vs single ended as a concept but I can explain my thought process on portable vs desktop.

My current portable DAC/amp, an old Xduoo XD-05, with my harder to drive headphones is set at or near max volume on quiet tracks and makes a terrible clipping noise on super base heavy ones, even at reasonable listening levels.

The specific headphones I want require a lot of power and I do most of my listening at or near my desk. The boost in power is worth the minor drop in QoL for me.

I’m buying a more powerful desktop unit because that’s required or advised for my headphone choices and more power = more better😀. I also know that I’m also a cheap bastard that can waste money trying to save it.

Welcome to the forum btw! And if your current setup works for you there is no reason to change it! Portable is a awesome convenience, different strokes and all that.

1 Like

@Keesue Welcome to HFGF :smiley: WaveTheory pretty much covered it in this thread :+1:

Thank you, I should have seen the article before I posted. That answers it and confirms my thoughts.

2 Likes

The ‘noticeable’ difference was in volume.