Bang for buck Tube Pre-Amps/Buffers

I currently have a JDS Atom amp with my 58x as my daily driver and would like to get a tube pre-amp to complement its clarity with some warmth. It does not have to be any crazy amount of increase in warmth, but obviously I’m buying a tube for a fairly good tube sound.

If this is possible in a product under $200 or $150, please share anything and everything, positive and negative, about products you’ve owned or tested.

Thanks!

This may help ya. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0lTGip-qQc he gives a great recommendation for a tube preamp. My buddy owns the one with the bluetooth and has it attached to his 789 using it with his 6xx. Sound great

3 Likes

Thanks! Do you think it will be good for the atom amp?

Not sure on the atom honestly. Though I do think that tube preamp is real damn nice to have for quite a few headphones provided the amp has the plugs for it

1 Like

For the Atom i think it would smooth it out a bit. Maybe give it some airiness and some sound stage. Wont be crazy different but noticeable. Atom is a great amp but can be analytical and bright Probably depending on your headphone too. But look at a liquid spark that could be what you are looking for in that kinda sound

1 Like

Check out these threads with lots of tube buffer discussion:

1 Like

I’m not an electrical engineer or anything but a part of me doesn’t like taking a cheap tube amp, cranking the volume 100% and feeding it into a nice solid state like the 789.

Edit: Another YouTuber put it better than I could:

If the output on that tube pre exceeds 2v you should absolutely not be using it with the 789. The 789 is not a power amp, it’s not designed to take a preamp signal. It’s designed to take a line level signal no more than 2v over rca. Often preamps send more than 2v, many are 4v-6v or higher. This could damage the 789.

1 Like

Yea I saw that, but that’s why I’m asking specifically about the atom

Thanks so much! can you take a look at this suca buffer and tell me if It would work with the GE tubes you mentioned in the first thread you linked?
[https://www.amazon.com/SUCA-AUDIO-Tube-T1-Preamplifier-Amplifier-Control/dp/B07Q656449/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=tube+preamp&qid=1593977330&sr=8-6](http://Suca buffer)

Looks like it. This was in the description:

“TUBES REPLACEABLE - The 3D sound quality of a good tube implementation is simply divine! Tubes detachable design, you can swaps the tube to tweaking the sound, 6j1,6j2,6J4,GE5654,6AK5 and 6*1n tubes are fit for this preamp.”

1 Like

I decided to go a different route.

I’m not quite ready to tube roll, so I went with a hybrid (Massdrop CTH) which is said to have a great stock tube that gets better with burn in.

Along with that, I purchased an OL switcher from JDS, so that I can switch back and forth between my Atom and the Cavalli without fumbling with the wires. I’m excited. The only thing really left on my wishlist is a warm and wide soundstage pair of headphones to compliment my 58x jubilees.

1 Like

You can just use a splitter from the DAC for 2 Amps, switches are a nice to have with larger numbers of Amps, but 2 Amps won’t hurt the sound, unless you have a Border Patrol DAC or something.

1 Like