Bass headphones under $250?

Lol I just did a comparison with the 770 and nighthawk in this thread

I read through that thread and saw I had a headphone doppelganger :joy:

M0N, specifically for EDM/HIPHOP, which would you personally choose?

At this point I’m seriously considering buying both and returning whichever one I don’t like since there are ‘open box’ ones of both going for good prices.

For the 770 and the nighthawk? I would take the nighthawk, but if you can buy both, that is the best way to see what you like the most

1 Like

Yea, I’m going to just pull the trigger and buy both then return one. I need to compare them to fully make up my mind. Thanks!

1 Like

Listening to them in person is always going to be the best way to find out what you prefer :+1:

1 Like

Going to order them and give my impressions in a couple weeks :+1:

3 Likes

Do remember that Zeos said 1More Triple Driver are practically designed for EDM. If you don’t like either of the ones you get you can always try those and do the same thing with returns.
Don’t regret your decision on trying those two though, I have the Nighthawk Carbon and I love them. They are my favorite headphone I have heard so far, and they are very unique.
And if you decide on the 770, those are amazing as well. Never tried them myself but Zeos himself said they are on of the best closed back he has ever heard for the price range.
Honestly you can’t go wrong with either the Nighthawk or DT 770 Pro. Have fun with them!

How about AKG K-371?
Just came accross them while looking arround for headphones.
Reading a few reviews, they seem well built and have good bass and some emphasis on highs.

They are more tuned towards the harman target, and are pretty good, but I wouldn’t say its super bassy

After a week of listening to the Audioquest Nighthawk Carbon and Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 ohm I’ve finally made a decision.

For reference, I mostly listened to these albums, all in FLAC, or streamed HIFI or MASTER quality on Tidal.

Black Tiger Sex Machine - New Worlds
Com Truise - Persuasion System
Cosmic Gate - 20 Years
Illenium - Ascend
Kayzo - Unleashed

Audioquest Nighthawk Carbon ($210 USD) - eBay, Open box, look brand new

Comfort / Build Quality -
I haven’t tried on that many headphones before, but these are the most comfortable headphones I have ever experienced straight out the box. In terms of build quality, the materials used are very nice and very ‘premium’ looking. The only possible problem would be the durability of the black plastic around the ear cups. Feels somewhat fragile?

Sound - Where to begin? Unique? Dark? Warm? U-shaped? Relaxed? I could spend all day trying to describe the sound of these, but I’ll try to keep it brief.

I finally get why these are so polarizing. The sound signature definitely isn’t for everyone. Such a weird/unique experience. When I first tried these, I thought to myself ‘WTF?’

These come stock with protein leather pads on, and with these pads, the sound is distant? boxy? super dark? You definitely get the bass, great btw, but the mids and hi’s seem like they are wayyy back. The feeling is like you’re in a chamber with loudspeakers. Does that make sense? Sounds like there’s an echo/reverb but in reality there isn’t any. Super weird.

These also come with suede pads and imo the way to go. With the suede pads, everything opens up a little more. Turns these cans from dark to warmish. I say warmish because they still seem kinda dark to me. Bass isn’t as present, but still very much there.

These are not in your face type of headphones. Not exciting cans. Calling these ‘relaxed’ might be an understatement.

Pros - Bass! Comfort.
Cons - Unusual sound signature? Detachable cable. I feel like I have to handle these headphones with care.

Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 ohm ($150 USD) - Amazon.com, Brand new

Comfort / Build Quality -
Comfort for these is very good. The initial clamp force is a little strong, but an easy fix. Build quality is better than the Nighthawks in my opinion, feels very sturdy.

Sound - V-shaped sound. Bassy. Bright.

Listening to these compared to the Nighthawks is a completely different experience. These are more ‘exciting’ cans, more in your face, and more energetic.

Bass is very good, nice extension. Bass doesn’t seem as clear and textured as the Nighthawks though. Mids are nice, a touch recessed but there. Treble is where I have trouble with these. For me and my personal tastes, these are a little too sharp. To get the desired bass when I crank up the volume, the treble gets piercing on many songs and listening to these can at times be rough.

Pros - Nice and sturdy build. Bass! Very nice sound signature if you don’t mind bright headphones.
Cons - Treble. Can be fatiguing. Long Non-detachable cable.

So at the end of the day, which one do I prefer?

The Audioquest Nighthawk Carbon.

Although these lean darkish, I really like it. Super relaxing, easy listening, non-fatiguing. To remedy to darkish-ness I EQ to my liking and after EQ’ing, these sound awesome. I feel like these lack treble, and with a treble boost, these no longer sound dark.

I really wanted to like the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 ohm, but I guess I’m treble-sensitive. For most songs, the brightness is a little too much for me. I tried reducing the treble via EQ, but comparing both headphones EQ’d, the Nighthawks win.

Now I see the HE4XX’s on sale, and I wonder how they stack up against Nighthawks?

Well glad you figured out what you liked :+1:

The 4xx is going to be like a more refined 770 sound signature with planar sound

Is the treble of the HE4XX’s less ‘bright’ than the DT770’s?

Yes, it is also less peaky

edit - actually, that was for the 400i, seems there isn’t actually an FR chart for the 4xx.

Could you also post the raw 770 80hm from the same source so a comparison is a bit easier?

I want to pull the trigger on these so bad, but quality control issues are the only thing preventing me from getting them.

I keep hearing people complain about qc but I don’t know anyone who has had any issues, and for the deal they are at right now, I would say it’s worth

same M0N, I’ve never had any issues with my 4xx and I bought from the first run too.

That makes me think that the newest runs have the issues

I’ll find out…just ordered them to replace my missing pair.