Battlestation/Home Office/Bedroom Audio

I’m looking for advice on what speaker system to get that performs well for the money and looks good. I’ve been wanting to get into high(er) quality audio for a while and dabbled with Sonos but found them a hassle. With COVID and a new addition to the family I’ve got my computer Battlestation/Home Office in our bedroom so aesthetics is important.

Budget is $250-$500.

For speakers I’ve leaned toward a passive system since the idea of modularity is appealing but I’m not against active speakers if they fit the bill.

For passive speakers I’m looking at either the Jamo S803 or the Micca RB42. Audioengine P22 is a possibility but the reviews aren’t great for the price particularly for the bamboo ones.

For amps I’m drawn to either Audioengine N22 or the SMSL AD18 because they both have built in headphone amplifiers.

For active speakers I’m really only looking at the upcoming Fluance Ai41. The white front and light wood aesthetic would best fit my desk. but I’m not sure with the reviews I’ve seen of the Ai40 if its audio quality is comparable to the passive systems I’m looking at.

For visual reference I’ve got a bamboo desk, monitor with white accents and a silver metal laptop. My current speaker setup is a Bose Companion that’s 8 years old that has a hum I can’t get rid of.

I’m looking for advice on any of these to let me know if there’s any reason why I should/shouldn’t go with them or if there’s a better direction to go in. Thanks!

Jbl studio 530 do the trick great for me.

I have a PA3 doing a bang up job with them. Highly recommended.

1 Like

That setup looks awesome but I should have mentioned that I’m reasonably space restricted to smaller-than-surround-sound-bookshelf size speakers ><".

Well, it’s not passive but the iLoud Micro are small and fantastíc at a desk. Really really surprising for their size and its very easy to add a sub to them later if you want to expand.

2 Likes

@DMS thank you so much for the recommendation!

I just started down this path but I’m learning a ton from here and your Youtube.

I’m setting a price alert for Amazon since these go down from $300 to $200.

They are worth the $300 tag. $200 is an absolute steal.