Beginner's dacs and amps with reasonable price

After listening to my friend’s DT770 yesterday, I decided to do a bit of research and join the audiophile community. I’ve just bought myself a pair of DT990 and wonder what amplifier and DAC that can drive it well. My budget is about $150 but I can go a bit further than that. I’m planing to buy the fiio q1 mkii but if there are any better recommendation, I’ll take it. Thanks to anyone spending their time reading this.

2 Likes

I think the fiio k5 would be my pick for a desk, very good price to performance imo. The q1 mk2 is nice if you want something portable, but for a desk the k5 pro is better sound for the money imo

1 Like

How do you think about its performance compare to the jds lab atom because the atom is $100

1 Like

The atom is pretty great, but I would also suggest a dac like the topping d10, which would bring the overall cost to 200 USD. (Although you can find the topping on sale at times)

I do prefer the topping d10 and atom combo, but it is out of your budget a bit. Also with the 990s, I would instead recommend the liquid spark amp as it will smooth out the harsher high end of the 990

2 Likes

I really want to go with the atom but the shipping price is too high :frowning: . I’ll probably go with the k5 pro or find some alternative amp for the topping d10

How much can you get a liquid spark amp for, I think it will pair nicely with the 990?

1 Like

The shipping price is…again half the price of the amp

Are you outside of the US?

You could also look into the schiit magni heresy as that’s a good alternative to the atom imo

Yup, Australia more exactly. Shipping is still the same if it’s from US and a student’s pocket money has its limit :frowning:

I’ll probably go with the k5 pro and then work my way up when I finished school

The k5 pro should last you quite a while. If the 990 is too much in terms or treble for you. If the return is possible the dt880 is a good alternative. But you can always Ek the problem frequencies a bit

1 Like

Yep, agree with RiceGuru here. If the treble is too much, and if it is too harsh, the Beyerdynamic DT880 600 ohm are a good alternative.