Benchmark AHB2 - 3000$ - 113 dB THD+N THX AAA power amplifier

Benchmark indeed. Holy shit.

But yeah, 3000$US. We need cheaper, like, 90dB SNR+ 90$ power amplifiers, to stack above our chi-fi stuff, DACs and headphone amps. :stuck_out_tongue:

Iā€™ve heard this amp, and can definitely say that itā€™s really clean. Itā€™s honestly way too clean for my tastes, and kinda removed the enjoyment of what I was listening to. They were on totem winds, and I much prefered them with a parasound Halo amp, since the benchmark amp was way too much

Edit: but I would be much more interested in their thx headphone amp

1 Like

You lucky :stuck_out_tongue: Heheā€¦

To compare, here are the specs of, possibly, the worst thing youā€™ll see here, my old, Denon AVR-1312 I bought used on eBay for less than 100$.

• Output Power / Channel: 110 Watt, 75 Watt
  • Output Impedance / Channel: 6 Ohm, 8 Ohm
  • Frequency Response: 20 - 20000 Hz, at 1 kHz
  • Total Harmonic Distortion (THD): 0.05 %, 0.7 %

Which, Iā€™m guessing, is 0.05% to 0.7% THD @ 1kHz.
And, to me, it sounds glorious.

Yep. Benchmarkā€™s gear, how should I put it, sets a standard for all other gear. They are the criterion by which all others are measured by. They have become the industry reference. A litmus test for highest quality. A yardstick for audio gear. The touchstone of transparency.

https://www.thesaurus.com/browse/benchmark

:laughing::laughing:

1 Like

So much that some speakers werenā€™t designed with that clean of an amp in mind

I guess I find that itā€™s so much, itā€™s not enjoyable for long with some speakers. I feel I would have to purposely find warm sounding speakers to offset how fatiguing I find this amp to be with brighter sounding speakers. I personally enjoy a warmer, thicker sound with speakers, and an amp like this just didnā€™t give me that experience with what I heard them on.

Yeah, well, crisp, clear, clean source with accurate treble (and ā€œairā€, high treble 10khz-to-20khz+) can be a problem when most (high-end) speakers you buy are meant to compensate for the fact that most sources arenā€™t crisp, clear and clean with accurate treble. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

No such thing as too much transparency, thoughā€¦ More like, not enough decent speakers.

Yeah, itā€™s mainly the pairing with the speakers that caused it to be unpleasant to me. I realize that I shouldnā€™t of said ā€œtransparent,ā€ as a more accurate description I guess could be ā€œsterileā€, as it kinda took the life away from the music. It didnā€™t emphasize a certain frequency range or change dynamics or anything like that, it just seemed to sound unnatural and too ā€œcleanā€ for my tastes, somewhat lifeless and lacking microdynamics and lower level resolution. Also not that great timbre. Stage was also fairly flat. Itā€™s just my personal, subjective opinion.

My little Marantz AV 7702mkii has the following:

• Frequency response: 10 Hz ā€“ 100 kHz ā€” +1, ā€“3 dB (Direct mode)
  • S/N: 105 dB (IHFā€“A weighted, Direct mode)
  • Distortion: 0.005 % (20 Hz ā€“ 20 kHz) (Direct mode)
  • Balanced XLR pre-output: 2.4 V
    Digital
  • D/A output: Rated output ā€” 2 V (at 0 dB playback)
  • Total harmonic distortion ā€” 0.008 % (1 kHz, at 0 dB)
  • S/N ratio ā€” 102 dB
  • Dynamic range ā€” 100 dB

But that Bencmark is a true monsterā€¦ holy!

Marantz puts out some great stuff for the price

Edit: isnā€™t that just a pre amp though?

Yeah, well, thereā€™s probably a good reason why my Denon doesnā€™t have the 20hz-20khz measurement.

Hmm. Maybe not! Apparently this is 15 years old (so, older than my AVR-1312) and 0.01 THD @ 80dB. A nice surprise! (well, for me anyway).

By the way, for XLR, Audio Science Review measured the Sabaj D5 (Zeos recently reviewed it ā€“ 500$ DAC/Amp).

ESS 9038PRO DAC + 118dB SINAD XLR OUT + 116dB SINAD RCA OUT and 106dB SINAD headphone amp.

Not THX, but still. Fucking endgame XLR out for speakers.
(Oh, and the THX 788 DAC/Amp does not have XLR out).