Best ~$300 IEM for Jazz//Electronic

Hello! I’m interested in some IEMs in the $300-350 range or so. I’m not exactly sure what I’m looking for, but my main genres right now are electronic music (more IDM/retrowave/vaporwave/synthy stuff), jazz, lofi hiphop, and some indie pop/rock. I definitely prefer warmer/bassier sound signatures, and having high detail would be lovely too.

I’ve mainly looked at the following:
Blessing 2 Dusk
7hz Timeless
Mangird Tea
Tanchjim Oxygen

Out of all of them I am leaning towards the 7hz, the B2D also look good but I’m worried they’re overhyped. The Tea also seems interesting. I own a 6XX and a pair of Arias and love both, basically if I could get a more detailed and clearer Aria I think I’d be happy. I will also be using my LG phone to drive these. Any other suggestions would be great too!

Mangird Tea and Tanchjim Oxygen. They will do a very good job for you. Read more reviews about them and decide which of the two. If you keep the timbre, then go to O2. Personally, I like Тea more. :wink:

3 Likes

I have the Oxygen and the Olina. If you want to stick with the tried and tested, Oxygen has been around for a couple years and they remain awesome. Olinda will only cost you 100 USD and you can get a DAC/amp as well with your budget.

You should also consider IKKO OH10.

2 Likes

If you don’t care for timbre: Tea2

If you want the best of both worlds: Olinda + Teas on sale should be around 350 or less.

More detailed and cleaner aria: Olina/Oxygen. But I wouldnt use it for the eletronic part alone.

2 Likes

Few months ago I got a Blessing 2 (non-Dusk) as my first >100$ IEM and was very disappointed with it. It sounded great with EQ, but without EQ it sounded broken to me. The reason was lacking treble extension and I liked it less then the Aria. After that I got the timeless (which I am listening to right now) and it was like night and day. I think the detail and treble (extension) is miles ahead on the timeless and that is even at a lower price.

That is just my personal experience however. You say you want a warmer/bassier sound signature. The timeless has very detailed subbass and it also has a good quantity, but it lacks the impact the B2’s Dynamic Driver had after EQ (and I assume B2D stock). The timeless has a certain warmness to its sound, but it has a very energetic and engaging treble at the same time… definitely not a laid-back set, if that is what you are looking for. Also with everything being said: The B2 with EQ sounded better than the timeless without EQ in my opinion, which is to say it that it has great drivers and responds incredibly well to EQ… but that stock tuning was almost opposite of my taste.

I haven’t heared the other IEMs, but from what I read, when it comes to air and detail - especially for EDM - the planar driver of the Timeless are in a class of their own. When you look at the Oxygen, you may also want to look at the Olina. Many find Olina to be the better of the two and it costs only half, I believe.

1 Like

I own the Blessing 2 and it sounds great with eq. There is timbre thing though. I own a timeless and for what you listen to they are a good choice. I do not own nor have heard the S12 but if it is like the timeless spend 150 and call it a day. If you determined to spend 350 or so I might wait.

1 Like

Based on what I’ve read, don’t the Oxygen and Olina use the same drivers and practically sound the same? Or is that just new release hype lol. Also I have definitely noticed the IKKO OH10, I’ve been watching a lot of Dan’s Audio Reviews and I’m really impressed by them. They don’t seem like a huge upgrade from my Arias but enough to get me interested.

This honestly seems like a good idea, been hearing good things about the Olina. I know the Teas are popular with this forum but they do seem more in line with what I want. Is there a meaningful difference between Tea 1 and Tea 2? Honestly might just take a gamble and try them.

Thanks for the detailed reply bro, I have a feeling like the same thing is going to happen with me and the B2’s if I get them. From what you’ve said, I’m leaning a bit away from the Timeless. I haven’t actually tried planars before and I’m interested, but I’d prefer something more laid back in the end.

Olina, in my opinion, is the best price to performance on the market, together with S12 and CRA (well that one costs 15 bucks lol).

Teas are my loves. Im working on Tea2 review, as it just released, and I think they are superior to OG, especially to your library.

Edit: If you end up getting Teas, maybe you can juggle 15usd more for CRA and there’s your DD. I would advise to maybe EQ on your phone, since that 5k is nasty. It’s very bassy as well.

3 Likes

From what you are describing and your mention of the Aria, I would recommend the Oxygen.
Olina is out there too but I haven’t heard them.
Tea2 is also looks also really interesting.

The Teas have interested me more and more after researching but I’m still hesitant to pull the trigger, mainly because I have yet to spend $350 at once on audio gear lol. To be honest I might just get the Olinas or OH10’s for now and save up again for the Tea 2’s. They’re now definitely on the top of my list though. If the Olina is as close to the Oxygen as it seems then I think I can safely go with it instead. Thanks for your advice.

1 Like

Olina is a freaking beast. No wrong with that

4 Likes

Get two iem: Olina for the jazz & s12 for the electronic :sunglasses:

4 Likes

What I learned so far: It is often better to buy 3x 100$ IEMs instead of 1x 300$ IEM (especially if you haven’t heared a lot yet)

So +1 from me for @blanche suggestion, but maybe throw in a $15 CCA CRA on top :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I agree that olina + cra + s12 are a nice start. I just didnt rec s12 because it might be underpowered by the phone, but not sure, I don’t own the LG

2 Likes

If it is one of the ordinary models without DAC, it will not be able to power them. If it is in the LG V model it can power it. LG feeds hybrids and tribrids without any problems. V30, in my opinion, is like a DAP of about $ 1,000 :sunglasses: . S12 be blown out of LG V model. :love_you_gesture:
https://www.esstech.com/lg-v30-and-v30-smartphones-feature-audiophile-performance-from-ess-technology/

3 Likes

My timeless runs fine on my generic smartphone 3.5mm connector at 75%. 100% volume would result in hearing loss ez. S12 should be same, I assume.

1 Like

Yeah its an LG G8x, has the built in amp/DAC. Its honestly impressive how well it works, even does a decent job of driving my 300 ohm 6XX (though nothing compared to my desktop amp). Its a shame LG stopped making smartphones.
I agree with @lilhm I don’t exactly know what kinds of sound signatures I like yet. It makes sense to try different types of cheap IEMs and find what works. I’ve ordered an Olina, and I’m leaning towards the S12 over the Timeless due to the 2-pin connection and cheaper price. Might as well throw in the CRA for how much it costs lol.

3 Likes

Great plan! Approved!

1 Like