Best all rounder IEM under $300

Where are you based?..I have an og 7hz Timeless I don’t really use much now…happy to let it go FOC if you’re happy to pay postage :+1:

5 Likes

Thanks man! Yeah I’d say so and after checking the dunu falcon ultra out it seems great. I remember having my eye on the original falcon before it launched but the graphs and reviews changed my mind.

1 Like

Is there a good eq software or application I can get for an iPhone? I remember using an eq on my m50x’s years back and it was great. Though that was with a Samsung and I’m wondering if iPhone allows that kind of versatility?

I believe your only option is to get the Qudelix 5K which has PEQ in the app.

1 Like

Oh wow thanks that’s too nice of you man! I live in Pretoria, South Africa🤙🏼

ios and its garbage limitations
You don’t have a pc or laptop?

Also, I should note that the Tape Pro does not respond well to PEQ. (I have it.)

Not an iem I would use PEQ on.

(its shit…)

2 Likes

I have a thinkpad which uses windows

Oh damn ok that’s good to know thanks man, saved me some time

If you really want to use the PEQ route, Planars is usually the way to go. Look at the Tin Hifi P1 Plus, that is almost flat so you have a easy time shaping it however you want.

The other route for versatility is to get an iem with multiple tuning by switches/filters. Like the LZ A7.

5 Likes

So just use that with peace eq apo, but @Rikudou_Goku said its gonna be shit with eq so idk. Maybe listen with lower dbs?

1 Like

Cool no worries man happy to send them :+1: DM me and I’ll get a Royal Mail postage quote…I think I’ve got the og 4.4mm cable :man_shrugging: and I’lI ship them in a light non og case and no tips :+1:

5 Likes

Appreciate it!! Will send a DM✌🏼

1 Like

But the whole point of eq is to try things for free without spending money on iems.
He still has to buy a 50$+ iem to try it. But if hes fine with it then its not a problem.

1 Like

Yes but some iems do not respond well to PEQ. Some can handle +10db low shelf 80hz boost, some starts to sound really bad after just 3db. Its not universal for everything.

2 Likes

Yeah thats why i said listen with very low dbs after eq to minimize the distortion. But still the tape pros have bad honky upper midrange tuning, you are right with its not eqing well.

1 Like

Just out interest, what would be a good indicator quality to tell if an IEM or headphone would do well with EQ?

Generally Planars will be the best type for it. Aside from that It is not something you can tell without hearing it yourself afaik.

2 Likes

Thanks for the help everyone, so far the two IEM’s ontop of my list are the Fiio jd7 and the dunu Falcon Ultra with the latter being first choice for now. Fortunately have some time to decide on it all and with new IEM’s coming out soon the choice might change but hoping to make the decision over the next month or so. Appreciate everyone’s input so far!:raised_hands:t3:

8 Likes

Welcome welcome, you’ve come to the right place :sunglasses:

@Rikudou_Goku and @GooberBM are Both beasts that frolic in the IEM world quite well and often with @GooberBM creating his IEM Matrix which I’m surprised he didn’t link, so I will;

https://roxburycommunitycolleg798-my.sharepoint.com/personal/bmorrison_roxbury_edu/_layouts/15/Doc.aspx?sourcedoc={3afbbaf7-5d1a-4632-b651-8d32cd55a8c2}&action=default&slrid=47adc9a0-809b-4000-0519-503395e689d6&originalPath=aHR0cHM6Ly9yb3hidXJ5Y29tbXVuaXR5Y29sbGVnNzk4LW15LnNoYXJlcG9pbnQuY29tLzp4Oi9nL3BlcnNvbmFsL2Jtb3JyaXNvbl9yb3hidXJ5X2VkdS9FZmU2LXpvYVhUSkd0bEdOTXMxVnFNSUJuMldxUk1TbmlrUjVtSm1tNGtTSml3P3J0aW1lPVpJRHFDMkNNMjBn&cid=2b1c3ba1-51ea-4862-94ae-cff07f17a2d7

The man has put hours into this project and it shows. It’ll give you proper recs that you can explore and read at your own pace.

For under $300, I would also recommend the Tin P1 Max as a safe but criminally underrated IEM, especially for the price. At only $100, you could pick this set up, plus another to fulfill your budget of $300 and be more than happy with your set up. I’m unsure of how pricing works in South Africa (very cool you’re from there btw) but if it’s similar to the US, at $100, the P1 Max is an absolute beast of an IEM that punches way above it’s asking price. Especially if you’re into vocal centric music like I am.

I’m not the foremost expert in this space but I’m always willing to help out with recommendations at anytime, I love helping out! So don’t be afraid to ask anytime :handshake: I don’t own a ton of IEMs but I’ve been very fortunate to hear quite a few both in my own space at home and during meet ups with @GooberBM locally.

Best of luck, man! Move at your own pace and don’t be swayed by reviewers over on HeadFi, they can be dangerously misleading.

5 Likes