Best Budget Headphones around 200$?

FX Audio DAC-X6 will be enough for the hd6xx??

that in fact is true.

in my case the headphone jack that was on my laptop had a really bad noise floor and then the amp just made it so that i could more clearly hear that noise. If you have a decent output then its not an issue its not that my new dac was making my music better but it had no noise floor.

1 Like

So I’m curious if you ever decided on which headphone you wanted to get?

After listening to the 58X more with the JDS Atom Amp, I see now why some prefer it to the Fidelio X2. Bass sounds better over my previous Amp with the 58X, which I previously would to EQ in, and the X2s bass can be overbearing.

Also, just like what was mentioned, the amplifier will just amplify what your source is. If your source (PC/etc) outputs a buzz or hiss or other noise, you will amplify that along with any other sound. If your PC sound card is quiet can handle 24-bit/192kHz or higher cleanly, then you’ll probably get decent results as is, just make sure you set it to the best out put as the default is usually set much lower.

As a comparison, some DAC specs listed in this thread can support various sample rates (higher is better). If you were to eventually get a DAC later on, and your PC audio is decent (no hissing or buzz), you’ll probably want something that would beat your PC or has a lot of features. On paper, the D10 supports a higher sample rate, so you can see why it is recommended as a cheaper stand-alone DAC.

Business PC: 24 bit/48 kHz (192kHz if “HD”)
O2 + SDAC - 24 bit/96 kHz
FX Audio DAC-X6 - 24 bit/192 kHz
D10 DAC - 32 bit/384 kHz
THX AAA Portable (DAC/AMP) - 32bit/768kHz

1 Like

tbh I’m still not sure on whether or not I should get the 58X or the 6XX, but I didn’t wanna keep bothering everyone on the thread with my indecision so I didn’t respond anymore
I hear great things about the 58X and the 6XX so for me it’s a toss up
now when it comes to the amp I was gonna get the Liquid Spark, but now I’m not sure if I should just get a DAC/amp combo instead of just the spark

I dont think that you being indecisive is an issue because you are on a very niche hifi chat group we love talking about these things and sharing our experiences. Also if it were me I would shell out for 6XX it is a great deal and at the very least you dont have to mod it to achieve the full potential. Most people would recommend that you take the foam from the outside cup out to get the full experience on the 58X. So to me that makes it slightly less worth it. Also the liquid spark will be awesome and its slighly cheaper than the combo and as a beginner you might not even have noise coming out of what ever DAC you have much less that you actually notice it. So if you want to have good headphones and still have a decent amount of money left i would just get the 6XX and the Liquid Spark. If you find that the DAC you are currently using has a huge noise floor or other flaw then you could get a standard DAC to deal with it. The standalone SDAC from massdrop will come back and it was only like $80 plus there are tons of other options out there too at varying price points.

yeah that’s true
although I do have a gaming laptop from Lenovo, and even though I have listened to music on it before I don’t think there was a hiss? or at least as far as I could tell
but yeah my mom is already reluctant to let me spend 320 on the 6xx and the amp, but I might be pushing it with the amp/DAC combo which is like 150 so idk if I would even be able to
but maybe down the road I’ll get a cheap DAC or something

The 58Xs should work everywhere, like “normal” headphones, so, with your smartphone etc. It’s really a plus for me, not having to worry about if 150$ headphones can actually be used anywhere I need to.

(And, yeah, not having to go to the rabbit hole of dacs/amps too…)

Also, huh, graphs show removing the foam makes no difference… So don’t mod anything.

-And most people can’t even find a difference between the 58X or 6XXs (if they use one one day and the second one the other, they don’t know which one is on their head…)
-And the 58X actually has 660 drivers, apparently, (EDIT: nope.) so what really are 6XXs? I don’t know. Maybe they’re just 58Xs with higher impedance, requiring an amp, for twice the price, plus the price of an amp. :stuck_out_tongue: Anyway, they’re not budget headphones.
-And some people who have both prefer the 58X and find the 6XX dull, because it’s just analytical, detailed, but without that little bass hump.
-Most songs are mixed/mastered to sound good on anything. Most headphones (and speakers) have too much bass. Most headphones (and speakers) don’t have enough treble. So if you buy 6XXs and listen to “normal” music, well, your favorite songs may sound detailed, analytical… and thin like cassette tape (no bass and too much treble).

My opinion? If you buy 6XXs and the dac and the amp, you’ll spend way more than needed, for what is practically the same fun you’ll have with the 58X. Look at the graphs, the differences are so small it’s really really nitpicking. Especially for your first “audiophile” pair of headphones. Your ears won’t be able to appreciate the 6XXs enough for the price difference.

2 Likes

wow you’ve convinced me
I always figured that the more expensive it was the better it is, because my friend tells me nothing but good things about the 6XXs and how they work with most types of music, and the better build quality
but if there isn’t that much of a difference I might save some money and get the 58Xs

1 Like

I’ve convinced myself too. I just bought a pair, lol.

While I mostly agree
The 58x is not the same driver as the 660 bits is tuned to be super similar.

2 Likes

+1 Not the same drivers. Tons of articles and reviewers (including Zeos) have confirmed.

1 Like

Corrected. :slight_smile:

Post must be at least 20 characters, lorem ipsum dolor sit amet…

Still… basically ear canal differences. They’re punching way above their price tag.

HD58X (Green, 160$) HD650 (Orange, 400$)

HD58X (Green, 160$) HD660S (Red, 500$)

2 Likes

LeD, do u have a chart that shows the 58x n 6xx with the 660S?

The 58x measures similar to a 660S.

The 6XX is an HD 650 in midnight blue with a shorter cable and 3.5mm and 6mm adapter. The drivers and sound signature is intended to be the same. Also made in Romania along side 660s and 58Xs (formerly, Ireland, for 58X and 6XX).

So measurements of 650 are same, per Head-Fi.

1 Like

so basically get the 58x?

for most cases yeah the 58x is the better value and usually better sounding I know personally for my ears they sound closer to what I would feel Ideal to me than the 6xx

so if they can be powered through a phone no problem, is there any reason to get a DAC or an amp then?