Best Headphones with a wide soundstage

So I have heard all of the aforementioned headphones, and owned the 1990 for a while, currently own the 880 600 ohm and argons, and own some of the aforementioned headphones as well.

The argons would offer more isolation, but still do leak a bit. Perhaps also consider the dt177x go if you can find them for a good price (not the 1770 as that has some issues imo) as that might be a good alternative to the 1990

1 Like

Open back is not really a dealbreaker, it’s just an inconvenience. Hopefully by then I’ll have moved out, thanks for the amazing input! #2020DT1990 :slight_smile:

1 Like

Lol well good luck on your journey and also have fun with the seriously solid amp and dac setup :+1:

Just curious what headphones and iems do you have currently?

1 Like

Sennheiser 58x and the Cooler Master 751 (yeah I know, in a few days it’ll be pretty disproportionate)

I also have the Koss KSC75 and the KPH30i (love the first one, not so much the KPH), the Tin T2 and the ZSX (but I use IEMs only for portable)

1 Like

I got my Vokyl Erupts Wednesday and they sound a good amount wider than the fidelio x2hr’s. It’s one of those rare headphones with a huge soundstage and good imaging. You don’t feel like the sounds you’re trying to detect are floating around like objects floating in space.

1 Like

Please say more!!!

:heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes: I’m very interested in the sound of that.

Compare to HD800?

I would like to add in to the mix what I’ve been researching more info on as they’re on the way to my door, the Bosshifi (BLON) B8 which are similar to Sivga 006? They’re wooden closed-backs with praised soundstage on its drop discussion page as well as a handful of positive reviews on head-fi.

I was interested in the B8 to be used for gaming that I can also take outside to enjoy my music unlike the SHP9500 which were my first choice. I could have gone with the MH751 for games or Takstar Pro 82, but the B8’s soundstage was seen better for closed-back cans and I wanted to try them myself for games comparing the audiophile’s description of their soundstage and imaging to games for footsteps and whatnot.

I’m no professional and these are actually my first pair of audiophile headphones! I would just like to get the name out there and hopefully more professional audiophiles here and there (who may also game perhaps to try them) could compare them to more popular suggestions.

1 Like

I’ve never heard the hd800. On the first impression I thought this is the best headphone I’ve heard! It sounds better than my Sundara and hd 6xx. It’s everything Z reviews said and then some cause the soundstage is better than I expected. It’s V shaped like my Sivga 007, a little less than it. So if you’re not a midhead the recessed mids shouldn’t bother you. It has fast transients, detail. The bass punches like a planar, it’s unique…hybrid like? For a dynamic it’s has excellent bass. I have m570’s coming on the 19th and will test them against them and the rest of my lineup.

That’s really exciting!

I want to try a pair but it seems that’s pretty much impossible now. Do you know when they may sell another round?

Also yes please please do a comparison to the m570! I have those on the way as well.

They gonna sell them on their website for 400$ at some point. When they become fully burned in I can’t imagine how good they will sound! The most I’ve ever spent on headphones is 350$, but I would spend 600, 800, fuck it I would save up and drop a 1000$ on these. Oh I forgot to mention, the other pads, that are solid have insane bass, but they still mudless with them.

I’ll have to watch out for those in the future…Maybe check Ebay.

I just spent some time looking over what’s out there and I’m amazed there’s so little across the board great closed-backs. Yeah, I know open-back is the better way to go in general, but I would’ve thought the high end machine found a way to make tons of money off the closed-back game

Closed backs that rival open backs are just hard to get right

1 Like

Don’t think it’s ever been done even at any price point?

I mean the ndh20 is pretty enjoyable, I like the elegia for sure, the new aeon 2 is very promising, and stuff like the x00 or denons if you can call that closed are pretty good, dt 177x, z1r, xmf closed, and more are all pretty great closed backs, but when you compare them to an open back the open back tends to sound more natural. I mainly am trying to say that it’s hard to recreate an open back sound in a closed back format

1 Like

I think closed backs at least the ones I tend to like tend to sound better if I’m listening to a track that is very manufactured like pop, electronic, house, hip hop, and most r and b. And open backs for everything else. It’s all about music pairing.

2 Likes

Also true, it just depends on what you prefer and listen to imo