Best Subwoofer Around $500 USD?

I see what you’re saying. Dang, I bet a pair of those sounds crazy awesome. I think the L12 sounds like a good option for me, plus, it’s not super massive so I think my wife won’t have any problems with it.
While I’m playing video games more than movies or listening to music, I think my personal preference leans more towards musicality than raw output, so that seems like a good option.

1 Like

Yeah, they are great subs, won’t let you down imo. Also my system is pretty strange, as I have 4 15 inch subs (technically) and then bookshelf speakers on 400 wpc lol

That’s a lot of power lol. What is the advantage of supplying bookshelves with that much power? Doesn’t giving it that much risk blowing the speakers?

It gives them a fuller sound, and they also are not the most sensitive speakers. I don’t play them that loud so they only take the power they need

Interesting, I didn’t know it would affect the sound in that way. Although it makes sense, because that’s basically how headphone amps work I suppose

You should try to oversize an amp for headroom rather then undersize it and risk clipping the amp imo

Can you incorporate power amps into a system that is just using a normal AV receiver?

Yes, the best way is if you have a pre out for just a power amp with no volume control, or a line out and then just get a volume control for the power amp.

You can also get speaker level input amps, but those can be hit or miss with different systems

Sorry to resurrect this thread, as I’ve been trying to do more research on the subs that everyone recommended, I’ve been coming across that some Rythmiks suffer from some kind of like “slamming” noise when they’re pushed too hard?

Idk, its sort of hard to understand what people mean when they say this, so I was just wondering if anyone here had experience with that.

It could also just be the classic internet thing of most people have great experiences with no problems and thus say nothing, and the few people who have had bad experiences are very vocal about it.

I have not had any issues with mine, but I don’t try and push them to the max. I’m assuming driving them too hard would somehow mess with the servo systems. I’m not too sure what someone would mean by a slamming noise unless they were talking about over excursion or something rubbing. I personally think they are great, but I guess some of the models might not have enough output for some that want crazy output at the expense of quality

I gotcha, that makes sense. I don’t think I’m gonna be pushing mine anywhere near to the max when I can finally afford it so that should be fine then. I just wanted to make sure. Does rythmik have any kind of return window like SVS does if you don’t like the sub?

From their site. Idk if you buy them from someone else as I did for the 2nd pairs of subs

1 Like

OK quick question, the SVS SB-12 NSD is on sale for 400 right now on the SVS Outlet store. Is that worth it over the L12? Or are they pretty comparable?

So I personally would go with the l12 unless you wanted more output but less quality. They are both good subs, but the svs is more for ht and output where the l12 is more for music and fidelity

Ok I’ll hold off then. With it normally being like 700, I just wondered if it might be a bit of an upgrade.

I think it would be an upgrade in volume but a downgrade in fidelity, so personally I like the l12 more (which would be beneficial for home theater but not for music imo)

Resurrecting a dead thread for one more question. SVS SB-3000 or L12? I imagine the SVS would go deeper due to larger driver and more power, but I don’t know if it would be better all around than the L12 or just much deeper

That SVS probably is not the range of 500$ anymore. :slight_smile:
Model has the new mobile app tweaking software so that would be nice and easy.
Might go for SB-3000 between the two.

Lol that’s my bad, I know it’s quite a bit more, I was just looking at options again and didn’t know if it would be worth the additional $

Kali Audio WS-12 is 599 on Sweetwater. The specs look really good.

1 Like