Best Subwoofer Around $500 USD?

I went with a pair of OSD TREVOCE12’s. It’s a 12" 4ohm sub with 2 12" passive carbon fiber radiators and no ports. It’s rated at 800watts max (probably 400 watts RMS) and has a DSP bluetooth app to help match them to the speakers. It’s rated to go down to 20hz and seems to accomplish it. I called them and was able to get 2 shipped for $580. They aren’t SPL type subwoofers. More like a 12" sealed system but slightly louder if needed. They are small for the 12" catagory, very musical and blend amazing well with my KEF IQ7’s. IMO, GREAT subs.

2 Likes

Hm, was looking at OSD stuff. They got budget amps too.

Their 8" looks interesting.

Edit: Just bought the 8" for $180 using code extrasaving10

1 Like

Those look super interesting, I’m gonna have to do some more research on them, but I’m definitely intrigued.

I ended up ordering a Monoprice Monolith 10. It’s supposed to arrive tomorrow, so I’ll give some impressions once I get some actual listening time in on it

1 Like

So, how’s it going?

So far I’ve been impressed. It definitely digs way deeper than my old sub did. I haven’t had a chance to watch a solid bass heavy movie with it yet, but I’ve listened to a fair amount of music and played some video games with it and I’d say that it gives a lot of weight and impact to things like explosions and gunshots in games. I ran the Edge of Tomorrow opening and was able to get all the stuff on my walls rattling lol.

It’s built like a tank too. It’s a 10" woofer, but the thing weighs like 70 pounds. I think in Zeos’ review of the 15" model he said something about the front grill being built like it was meant to be a coffee table and I’d say that’s true of the 10" version as well lol.

Feature wise it’s very simple. You’ve got line in, xlr in, and there’s an xlr out, I believe so you can daisy chains subs if you buy multiple. It also has auto on/off, which like, every sub does these days, and two EQ modes, THX and Extended. My understanding is that THX reduces overall output a bit in exchange for less distortion, and Extended just keeps the maximum output available.

I think the thing that’s probably the nicest feature (based on my analytical understanding of it) is that it has a phase knob instead of just a switch, so you can sweep it from 0 to 180 degrees, rather than just having either 0 or 180. I’m not knowledgeable of how to best set up phase angle, I suppose you’d sit in your primary listening position and listen to something you’re familiar with while you have someone else adjust the phase until it sounds best to you?