Best tube amp for planars under 200$

You could get something like a mixer or a studio signal router, but it would be too pricey imo

I could get a bunch of 3P3T and 3PDT toggle switches or even rotary switches and some RCA jacks and make my own custom passive routing box. The only thing that it wouldn’t fix, is cutting out the preamp outs when headphones are plugged in.

Are you guys saying that you get more tubby sound using a OTL as preamp then just using a hybrid tube amp?

How much more? should i bother?

My guess would be probably not, but more gear = more fun

2 Likes

No, @Antpage2, what we were saying is that if you already own one of each style amplifier, (in my case an OTL) ie 1 tube style that can be used as a pre-amp also and one solid state (in my case A/B style), you could use the tube amp to also add some tube flavor to your solid state thus saving you the cost of purchasing a 3rd hybrid style amp. If you don’t mind the effort of swapping rca’s etc depending on your set-up, this is a possible cost savings solution.
The amount of tube effect/flavor you get will depend on your equipment and tube choices.
Does what i stated make sense?

yeah i got that, and i could do that myself. im just trying to decide which option i should choose. which would have the best sound.

So what solid state amps do you have? Something like the darkvoice 336se as a buffer would be nice, and if you could find a used schiit otl tube amp in your budget that would also be great for this application.

i got a schiit magni and a thx 789

With a 789 you might want to go for the tube preamp/buffer option imo

can someone clarify why and when to or not to use an OTL amp?

Try not to use an otl with headphones with lower impedance (80 ohms and below imo). The high output impedance of the tube amp will modify the frequency response and sound of the headphones too much. Higher impedance headphones are not as effected by the higher output impedance of the amp.

Also for the lower the impedance headphones, they require more current, and the higher impedance require more voltage, and tube amps sometimes are not able to drive the lower impedance headphones which require more current to drive to sound their best

1 Like

what are some examples of good high impedance headphones, besides the Beyerdynamic’s?

The Sennheiser 6xx, 58x, 660s, 600, 800s, etc
ZMF Dynamics I think are high impedance
Neumann NDH20
Audio Technica ATH-R70x
Think akg makes some high impedance headphones

And more that I can add when I have free time

I would be interested in seeing a list compiled of tube friendly headphones. :slight_smile:

also, does Little Dot make an OTL?

1 Like

The little dot mk2 and above (i think) are true tube amps. Also that would be a very long list to make

1 Like

Yep, I’m working that list myself too. So far all that Mon said and i can add the ZMF line too. Still looking for others.

Lol if you feel like making a list of headphones you are looking at, feel free to send it to me and I’ll give you options of what they sound like on a tube (If I have heard it on one). Except the zmf lineup since I haven’t heard them on a tube. Or at all lol

I’ve been reading up on the little dot mk 6 and 8 and the company claims the amps work well with low impedance headphones

Certain tube amps can be fine, it’s just that typically they effect the frequency response and may not provide satisfactory power. But it could be just fine. I would just suggest checking to see other people’s experience of running low ohm headphones. I have seen full otl tube amps driving planars at shows, but not all can do this well

I value your opinion and experience, you have provided and continue to give me great reference advice especially when i form my words and questions correctly. I will absolutely keep you updated and possibly inundated with questions LOL. I’ve reached a point where i have enough gear to form reference points and from there form an opinion with research to move forward.