🔶 Beyerdynamic DT 900 PRO X

This is the official thread for the Beyerdynamic DT 900 PRO X

This thread is for discussion and reviews.

• Type: OVER_EAR
  • Amp needed: NO
  • Open Back

:red_circle: Beyerdynamic Link

[Reviews]

Z Reviews

YOUTUBE_LINK_HERE

2 Likes

Very interested in these bad boys as I’ve been debating a 1990 purchase this past week and if these give them a bit of a run for their money I might be interested. Only down side I’m seeing is 48 ohms…

we should wait for dms my guy got us covered hopefully

For numerous reviews to ensure there is no issue being overlooked.

3 Likes

Have used the DT 900 PRO X’s for a week and I quite like it so far. However, one issue I have is that the cable connection for the mini xlr isn’t the tightest, so a light touch will cause the sound to cut out or shift to the right for a split second.

1 Like

Yea this seems to be one of the issues many are reporting including myself. Except it was for the DT700 pro x. I didn’t have the issue for the DT 900 pro x.

I ended up using a different cable that solved that issue.

NewFantasia Replacement Audio Upgrade Cable Compatible with AKG K240, K240S, K240MK II, Q701, K702, K171, K141, K181, K271s, K271 MKII, M220, Pioneer HDJ-2000 Headphones 1.2meters/4feet https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07J25ZGNW/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_QMQ77GSP9WZSAS44MHSR?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

DMS’s review just dropped.

3 Likes

Explains why I’m not the biggest fan of it lol. I love detailed beyers and large stages. Fantastic headphone, agreed with most of dms video

2 Likes

This was a nice review. I may not always see eye to eye wit this kid but this was nice work. I was considering the 900 Pro X but now I see that this won’t give me what I am looking for. Because I still really like that Beyer sound The T1 keeps rising to the top. I guess I need to save up more money. Thanks, DMS! For the review, not for making me spend more money. That is entirely my issue! :laughing:

soo many asking me about these for gaming, I guess some reviewers are talking. No offense, but I am still sitting with these contemplating my thoughts on them. I am not going to puke out a full review as I don’t feel I have had enough time with them. still a great headphone though. Then again, getting people claiming “these are better than a 1990” I will think you may be a little high… but your welcome to your opinion.

for those with them burning questions and curiosity… I will probably put a long drawn out written amount of crap on here around saturday. The more i have sat with these, the more I have come to appreciate them.

5 Likes

I was sent replacement cables and now they fit snug. No more cutting out.

3 Likes

hmm, I had to reach out as well about the bad cables… I was using my own personal cables but sure enough the ones that came with it were bad.

I will have some notes about gaming with these later on… I think my biggest gripe thus far outside of the lacking detail retrieval is I wish the pads here shared the same tapered edge as the originals… these rub my ears quite a bit and I feel tapered pads would be better fitting on the head

Alright mixed review time LETS GOOOO I am going to do a quick shotgun review on this, my thoughts, final thoughts, and then gaming cause many many many messages on this for gaming.

Cables: 3 pin mini xlr, no you cannot run this balanced, it can be taken apart and modified just like 1990 to be a 4 pin mini xlr and run balanced if you really feel that need to do so, the 3 pin mini xlr is compatible with the akg 3 pin adapter - 3.5mm allowing access to v-moda boom pro. Cable quality is fine, its a bit sproingy takes some time to adjust after a while it settles though and is essentially just the cable from the DT 1990

Build quality: Sturdy but not as good as some of the other beyers. Nothing special aesthetically. Its rather light and mainly hardened plastic with an inside steel frame. Then again, I can’t see someone breaking these easily… they are still built very well and still better than most brands out there

Sound Signature: Mid forward neutral bright with some roll in treble

Sound signature issues: a bit shouty in the mids, a bit sibilant in some cases, overall lacking detail, over dampened and has a feeling of congestion, not that much separation.

Soundstage: It’s more congested feeling is a bit of a miss but it definitely sounds rather large but it reminds me much more of a semi open back than a fully open back due to just how much dampening is used here.

Use case: Fits pretty much anywhere unless you need analytical detail but its specifically designed for a particular use instead

Comfort: hit or miss… for larger ears like me I have issues with it. Would have preferred the pads to be beveled instead as the pads arent big enough

Gaming

Competitive:

Lacking detail and an analytical nature, lacking in terms of separation, lacking in terms of long term comfort(subjective). Has the perfect signature for Competitive gaming and very good imaging but lacks all the technical traits making it a rather iffy pick. Rating for competitive from me? Id give it a 6/10. At this price point I can get a tygr 300r or dt 880 and not only have it perform better but itll cost half the price… tygr may not have the absolute perfect signature but its just the better pick in this case. I would take many over this in this case… even the AD700X. This just is not a great choice here

Casual
The lack of separation is a bit of a mixed bag of shit for me when it comes to larger world immersion… The pushed forward mids and highs creating sibilant tones randomly throughout conversations was bothersome without EQ. It actually made me want to stop playing at some points.

Just not that good for gaming in my personal imo. Leave these to studio uses, there are better alternatives

Final Thoughts:

I think there is some room for improvement here in some cases but for the most part this is designed specifically for use with creators and studio use… not for the audiophile and not for the gamer, I can respect that. For an audiophile, its not particularly the most enjoyable to listen to… but its not bad either… depends on your set preferences… for gamers… theres absolutely better options in both cases of gaming… I would take the 58x jubilee over this as the better well rounded pick bar none… 560s for competitive gaming bar none over this.

6 Likes

Over the course of my audiophile time, I’ve sought something that surpasses the HD600 in terms of “general usability” from my perspective and my own tailored needs. I’ve cycled through a decent number of headphones, from “lower end” to the “TOTL”. Yet none have quite done it, until recently with the DT 900 Pro X. I actually thought it would not be up to par and just not as good vs the HD600 based on impressions/reviews of others, nonetheless I gave them a shot, and I am so glad I did, with that in mind, let’s get to the review.
A preface: I believe all SS amps sound the same and dacs have little if anything to do to the characteristics of sound. You can tell me all you want about how your $500+ dac and amp influenced the sound but I’d be skeptical from my own personal experience. The testing was done on my trusty Fiio K5 Pro and using Peace GUI EQ. Most of the review consists of the sound EQ’d but I will have a seperate section w/o EQ. I will leave my EQ at the bottom of this for the curious. so, let’s jump in.
Music genres I listen to: Metal and it’s various sub-genres. Bands specifically: Gojira, Korn, Avenged Sevenfold, Slipknot, Mastodon, Tool, Etc.
Comfort: Superb. I love the way this fits my dome. My head is a bit on the smaller side and this has that lovely high clamp and super soft velour pads that I love. Weight is something close to 350g (~70g more than the HD600 I believe) and it is more noticeable vs the HD600 but it’s a non-issue for me and my weightlifting antics. If you can handle the HD600, you can handle the DT 900 Pro X. (The ear cups are smaller vertically than the HD6X0 series so that could cause some problems, but to me is a non-issue like I said). This headphone also passes my headbang test, so basically me listening to “VACUITY” - Gojira and going hog-wild.
Sound: (W/O EQ): For non-bass heavy genres or people who don’t like bass, it’s good. The extension is certainly better than the HD600. It has a better impact and tactile feel and is generally good. Not many complaints to be fair. Mids are awesome! Lower to mid-mids are very nice and very fluent and there’s no issue here either imo, again if you like the HD600’s mids, you’ll like these too. Just note the vocals are slightly more pushed back, but that doesn’t bother me too much. Upper mids is slighty dipped vs the HD600 and I do need to EQ the 4.5k region to get it to my liking, but I do like a more forward presentation so, YMMV. Treble is great too. I like more air (>10k khz) than what is given here but it’s definitely not bad. I don’t notice any sibilance nor anything that makes me want to rip them off my dome. (1990 Pro, I loved you at your darkest, but I couldn’t stand that brightness).
Sound: (W/ EQ) TDLR: Metal has never sounded so “alive”.
Bass: I love this. I add a generous 4db shelf below 100 hz and also a 1.5-2db peak ~400 hz and damn does it just sound fun to me. I love how it adds that visceral sound that metal that just eats at your soul. It’s got that energy, but is also not boomy or bloated sounded vs the EQ’d HD600. It’s got more impact, control, and gut behind it than the HD600 and it’s sinfully addictive.
Mids: Once that upper mid “issue” is fixed, it’s great. Like an HD600 but with less “in your face” vocals. Still great. Not one thing to complain about IMO.
Treble: Not sibilant. Not under-done. It’s basically fine for my ears, and I don’t notice anything “off” about it. Again, I add +2 db shelf >10500 khz just because I can, but you realistically don’t have to. If you wanted an ever-so slightly brighter treble than the HD600, it’ll do that just fine.
Soundstage/Imaging: A little wider than the HD600, more precise imaging in gaming. Again, if you wanted an HD600 with more width and imaging, these’ll serve you greatly. Gaming on the HD600 is no issue however, I never find anything lacking in gaming with the Senns.
Instrument Separation/Detail: It separates as well as the HD600 but has a more “room filling” quality. So, it may sound initially like it’s worse, but I find it about the same, just the spaces are more filled in (Probably because of my “Excessive” 4db bass but ymmv). Metal never seems to get overly-convoluted or lost, it sounds like it should sound. Detail again is on par with the HD600, less than the X65, but it’s not by a huge margin. Again, I think that “room filling” quality can seem to mask detail, but it’s all there if you seek it. (Resolve said the 900 Pro X has less detail and I could not disagree more, I have not heard the 300R but I can’t imagine it being worse or better here either, I don’t think their opinions are wrong, rather is just my subjective take [Hence why it is called “subjective”]).
Conclusion/Rant: I love these cans. The 900 Pro X have shown and enlightened me that there’s more to audiophilia than “neutrality” and “following the narrative”. Trust your own ears and forget about anything and what anyone else says. Reviewers and others say these are less detailed and closed off (They feel closed off but it’s similar to a 1990 imo) and I don’t see it. These cans do it for me, and I don’t think they’re worse than the HD600, just different.
More-over, I think we as a community should disagree with others but not take what they say as “false”. Like I said, I think Resolve and DMS are wrong about detail and what have you, but who am I? I’m merely a metalhead who weightlifts. They’re the professionals and their opinions are more than warranted, but what about the average joe? Just because they’re not a professional does not mean their impressions or interpretations are any less credible imo. It’s their interpretation and should be respected. We should also de-stigmatize the “follow the leader” narrative (Great album by Korn btw), if a reviewer says something about a headphone (like smaller soundstage or less detail, etc) take it with a grain of salt and unless you’ve used the HP yourself and can agree, don’t go on saying that narrative without that disclaimer. I think Resolve had posted something similar on Headphones.com but I’m unsure as of now.
Rant Over: Thanks for sticking with the review. I’ll stick with these cans for a while.
Previous headphones owned: HD660s, DCA Ether 2, DT 770 & 1990, Austrian Audio X65, HE-500,
EQ: -5 db preamp
4db shelf @ 100 hz
2 db peak filter @ 400 hz Q = 1.41
4.5 db peak filter @ 4100 hz Q = 2.5
2.5 db high shelf @ 10000 hz

3 Likes

Have you tried EQing? I had the same issues but used Oratorys EQ, lowered band 2 and 7 (I think), and I think that the imaging is really good in MW and Warzone.

Fresh Reviews on YouTube compared the Beyers aswell and he prefers them over the alternatives.

Well i can eq and yes i tried this however the headphones designed for a certain use so more technical performances such as the separation and detail are sorely lacking. I liked the headphones but they just arent for me

These headphones made me sell my loved hd 600, there’s nothing in the hd 600 that the dt 900 pro x can’t do, including the midrange, yes i said it, the midrange on these dt 900 pro x are a massive improvement over the old beyers (tried them all) and can compete against the best midrange i’ve ever heard, the hd 600 is my favorite 6** line headphone (650 is too dark and 660s is not an improvement in anything)
Maaaaybe the hd 600 have the edge with a bit better tonality, but the beyers pack more realism thanks to the improved sub bass and actual soundstage, plus the imaging is also great. Build quality is way better on the beyers, and also price is cheaper on europe (220€ vs 309€).
These beyers are also better vs the tygr 300r and hd 560s (compared them on reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/usiqa1/beyerdynamic_dt_900_pro_x_first_impressions/)

2 Likes

What is the source chain you’ve been using each of them on?

I need to get around to listen to this model, I really liked what little I’ve heard from it, it might be one of the more overlooked headphones like the Austrian Audio X-60 (but both are fairly new so it takes time for people to catch up on them). I will try to add to your comparison if I get around to it.