šŸ”· Beyerdynamic DT1770

This is the official thread for the Beyerdynamic DT1770

This thread is for discussion and reviews.

• Type: Over Ear
  • Amp needed: Yes
  • Closed Back

:red_circle: Hifiguides Amazon Link

[Reviews]

Z Reviews

DMS

1 Like

Hi everyone. I just bought the dt1770! So far I am impressed by the amount of bass this can have.

1 Like

Do you find the treble harsh on these? Interested in these or the 177x go.

To tell you the true. No, I dont find the treble any harsh. I used them for 5h straight. For some reason, I found them warm :confused: . I think my ears became adjusted to bright beyers that I dont know what is bright anymore lol! They are more lively and fun than the dt177x go for sure. They have the strongest subbass rumble from all the beyer I have tried. I am running them from Sdac-B > thx789.

I will say from what I remember. Warmest to bright.
dt177x go > mmx300 1st > dt1770 > dt770 80ohm = 250ohm

• I dont remember how the 80 ohm sound, but the 250 ohm and 80 require few minutes to my ears to adjust for the treble.
  • Also I dont remember how the mmx300 1st sound, but i will say they were warmer than the dt770 250 and had more mids, with a loose bass.

Before they arrived I was using my t1.2nd. So that may be a reason why I found them warm.
Comparing to the dt1990 it seems like the driver focus more on the subbass and bass that made the treble spark and detail laking, this is coming from the dt1990 dont think this headphone are warm by any means. Let some people give you more opinion.

I compared the 250 Ohm DT770 and DT1770 in-store for a half hour just now. I was trying to establish whether the DT1770 is worth the extra money, because the hard numbers show them to be similar products: https://www.rtings.com/headphones/tools/compare/beyerdynamic-dt-770-pro-vs-beyerdynamic-dt-1770-pro/440/714?usage=9287&threshold=0.1

Just from that short experience, the more expensive product easily pushes more detail across the whole spectrum, not just the bass (see. ā€œalways hardcoreā€). Just goes to show that measurements arenā€™t everything.

I noticed the 1770 pads keep the cups floating on my ears while the 770 is claustrophobic. That said, the 770 is outstanding for the price. Decisions, decisions.

Did you find the bass of the dt1770 overwhelming?

Not for my brief session, but Iā€™ll need to try again for longer to be sure. I agree with DMS that it might be boosted because it added deep rumbling sub-bass to test-songs Iā€™ve heard a thousand times. Not exactly ā€˜transparentā€™, but during that brief listening session I didnā€™t find it annoying. Rather, I wanted to listen to every songs I own just to see what these headphones would do to them.

The DT770 lacked that low grumble so it might be more true to source for bass. However, the old demo pair I listened had to sibilance problems. Testing Beethoven Op. 67, Iā€™ve never heard strings sound like that, very distorted.

That was using the felt pads for both. Pleather pads have different bass, as do aftermarket lamb-skin memory foam ones.

Thereā€™s growing awareness in the community that excessive bass can be just as fatiguing as harsh treble. The only way to know would be to use them for a normal day. Seems like a good idea to buy from a store with a cooling-down policy. That way, one can return it for store credit if it turns out to be annoying.

1 Like

They arenā€™t harsh in the higher frequencies, but like all high-impedance Beyers, thatā€™s going to depend on quality amplification.

These headphones are great though. I think they reveal bass artists/engineers intended to be there, but that many headphones just arenā€™t able to reproduce well.

Theyā€™re like hifi cans with a subwoofer built-in, but tastefully done. They have their own agenda; itā€™s just about going into them with the right expectations. These are very unique and rewarding in the right circumstances.

2 Likes