đŸ”¶ Beyerdynamic DT1990

Yes, i was thinking the same thing, I’m just wondering if it would de-nature the DT 1990’s exceptional details and clarity since the dac/amp is supposed to have some distortion. Maybe it would keep most of the details and just smooth it around the edges, making it less agressive and more musical. That would be the ideal scenario but I have not seen any feedback ever about it. So there is no way to tell just how well it works together.

I would say it would work together fine imo. I think it would smooth things over as you say. It’s not going to ruin the headphone or anything like that. Worst case scenario, you just get a jds labs atom and run it from the dac out

1 Like

Have anyone bought this model? there is a special dt1990 edition with grey velour pads. Seems to be 6ave exclusive.
Amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082DKMQ3J/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=ALAQLAKJ574UN&psc=1

It just looks like they took 770 or 880 pads and slapped them on the 1990. I don’t think anything else is different. Just a little sketchy since the other pictures are shopped to match pad color

1 Like

Yo M0N since you own like every headphone under the sun would you mind telling me a bit about the 1990’s if you have the time. I know I said I gave up on them cuz of the recessed mids, but there is more to a headphone than just mids.

Sorry if I bother you asking for headphone descriptions all day :laughing:
I wanna know if I should reconsider them :thinking: along with the Elex and the Edition XX

No problem lol. I think the 1990’s are actually something I would consider neutral bright. There is some separation between the ranges in presentation so you can hear where the bass stops and the mids start to start, which is good for studio and also a preference thing too (it’s not too extreme or anything). They have lots of detail throughout the range, but might come off as aggressive because the detail is a bit forward. The bass can be thick and full, and extend down very well, but might come off as single note to some but it doesn’t bother me. The midrange is also fairly full and somewhat emphasized in presentation but it has good control and nothing sounds that offensive to me in the mids. The high end is very detailed but this is where some find it too aggressive or bright for their tastes, but I don’t find it that bad once you get used to it (but I agree that it can be a bit much with poor quality music. They have very good soundstage, and can easily recreate a space, but it is emphasized a tad and not the most natural soundstage I have heard but it is pretty impressive with a good wow factor. It actually works very well for gaming with great positional awareness. The imaging is very good and accurate, with nothing to complain about to me. These are pretty great for gaming, analytical listening but can be used casually fine, and also good for mixing and perhaps mastering but I don’t prefer it for that (I do commercial mastering on the side). Build is also excellent and very solid and premium for the price, and the detachable cable is nice too. Comfort is great for my head and it can accommodate a huge head too (as I know that was a concern for you), can easily wear it for days with no issue.

Comparing them to the edition xx, the edition xx has more impact and speed in it’s bass, with a bit recessed midrange, and a darker presentation for sure compared to the 1990 imo. I think the xx has more detail in it’s bass, with still good but not as prominent detail in the high end. The xx is a bit more listening pleasure focused in it’s sound imo. The presentation is pretty different for the large hifiman, and it’s just something you should hear to really understand. The 1990 has better imaging, but I think the soundstage is more preference when comparing the two. I think the xx is something for more casual relaxed listening fun, where the 1990 isn’t as relaxed and more kinda aggressive in a sense. The 1990 is also something that I would prefer for studio or competitive gaming, which I think the xx falls a bit short in for the price. I think the xx is actually pretty comfortable, but it does have a cheaper build than the 1990.

The elex vs the 1990 is pretty interesting. The elex is fun yet even imo, it is very refined sounding and very coherent. I think the elex actually has better detail and presentation to me, with the bass being strong enough for my liking but still with great depth and detail, the mids being pretty sweet sounding and still punchy at times, and the treble being very refined and detailed with great finesse. Great speed and separation, and sounds very open. I think it is a more refined headphone technicality wise wise over the 1990 for listening. The soundstage isn’t as wide imo, but I think is more realistic representation of a space and it has great depth. I think the imaging is also great, on par or slightly better than the 1990 imo. The build on both the elex and the 1990 are great, and personally I find the 1990 a bit more comfortable, but that’s more preference. The cable on the elex is somewhat ass imo because it’s janky and stiff, so an aftermarket cable might be for you

Edit: This is going off of the analytical pads on the 1990 btw, the balanced aren’t my favorite

13 Likes

HOLY SWEET JESUS WALL OF TEXT, THANKSSSSSS!!! :heart_eyes:

Sorry, just typing what happens to pop in my head at the time lol, I prob missed stuff lol so if you have more specific questions just ask (but not super specific since I don’t own the 1990 anymore and I have heard the elex a ton, and heard the edition xx a decent amount as well but don’t own those either (do have the clear though and have had a hex v2 and arya for a while) but still hit me with them to see lol)

Why do you not enjoy the balanced pads, also would you say the highs of the 1990 are exciting and bright rather than sharp and piercing ?

Cuz I gave up on using the Superlux’s cuz of the highs they where too piercing and painful on some music :sob: and annoying on other

So I didn’t like the b pads as I think they had less control over the bass and made it a bit muddy and less refined (from my experience). Also mess with the upper treble a bit and deliver a bit less air imo. I think the 1990 was designed for the a pads more

Also I should note that the 1990, elex, and xx benefit from burn in, so used them constantly for a coupe of days and that should get them to where they are supposed to sound if you go with one

I think the treble can be fun and exciting for some music on the 1990, but might be a bit much with some songs if you are sensitive. Also the treble is great for competitive gaming if you do alot of that

Also I forgot to mention amps. The 1990 isn’t that picky for amps but does like a good amp and dac/source to get the most out of them. Same way with the elex. The xx requires a bit more power to sound correct and on high output impedance amps it might sound a bit wonky (the elex is this way too now that I think about it). I would highly recommend an amp for all of these, but I think without one the elex would prob be the easiest to make go decently well without an amp.

Based on your preferences, I personally think the elex would do the most for you, so that would be what I would suggest based on what you seem to like and what you post. The 1990 would be good for you but I am slightly concerned about the treble since you haven’t tried much and I don’t know what your threshold is. The xx might be a bit too colored with the hifiman house sound for your liking, but I do think it would still be a pretty good pick for you. Also I think all of them would fit your head lol (with the smallest one actually being the elex but I still think it could get the job done)

1 Like

Ok so this song https://open.spotify.com/track/3q0cIF5Zs4e8KJjSk9gYIr?si=yWmTVNHSTb20BFf1cFTWCg made me give up on the Superlux the highs where just painful to such an extent that I couldn’t stand 'em anymore.

And yes I do gaming, I don’t mind exciting treble as long as its not piercing and painful altho I imagine exciting treble could get tiring after a while :thinking:

Right now I am using the cheap ass Panasonic’s they dont sound that good but at least they dont hurt with treble.
They measure like this:

Ok with something like jpegmafia especially veteran album can be a ton of fun on the 1990, but also might be fatiguing after a couple of hours lol

Also great song btw

Also have you heard all my heroes are cornballs and what are your thoughts lol?

1 Like

Thanks! :smiley:

Ok so I am choosing between high enjoyment for a limited time cuz I will need a break or I can listen to music all day but not as exciting :thinking:

I don’t like JPEG that much I like this song cuz of the girl, she also has another good song if you wanna know what I like I can link you my RYM. xD

Yo actually try this https://open.spotify.com/album/0A7dXsu3QAMbs2Wu0FUdF4?si=kaZwPNrAQ--HkJCXRt6rSg its 20 minutes I like this album alot !

I actually have that album lol, pretty good. I think that would be pretty fun on the 1990 or the elex. I think it would be good on the xx but I don’t know if it would compliment it as much as the other two. I think the 1990 has the highest initial wow factor and enjoyment, the elex is in the middle, and the xx is more casual and relax (if you are wowed by that lol)

Hmm :thinking:

What about this
This album is hella exciting and enjoyable!

1 Like

Agree for sure, I think that would go great with the elex or 1990. From what you are linking, I think the xx might be not exactly for you (unless you really find you start to dislike treble lol)

Something I forgot to cover was also timbre. The elex has the most natural timbre imo (although might be a tad metallic at times). I think the 1990 is close but can sometimes sound a bit dry. The xx is actually pretty good but might be a bit plasticky for some (but I don’t really think it’s that bad)

the main 3 types of music I really like are:
hardcore metal stuff, stuff with alot of bass be it pop or such, and more calm alt/indie/pop rock

I think it comes down to if you value something a bit more exciting vs something a bit more refined but not as immediately exciting.

Another question is how loud do you listen?