šŸ”¶ Beyerdynamic DT880 600Ī©

He wasnā€™t 100% wrong. It has been covered in this thread but these headphones do not sound great on the Atom. I directly compared the Atom to the SP200 and the Atom sounded awful. Even still, bashing another reviewer is no way to make a valid review that should be take seriously.

Hereā€™s a pretty good explanation of output impedance:

My understanding is that most modern amps have moved toward low (<1ohm) impedance because they sound uniform across a wide variety of headphones, and compensate for outliers like these 880 600ohms with raw power.

The math and science just doesnā€™t matter here I guess. I literally have the Atom and the SP200 hooked up to the same dac (SU-8) and the Atom sound noticeable worse. It makes loud noises but they are just not good noises. I have the Lyr 3 coming soon, which is more than double that of SP200 and Iā€™ll see if that makes a difference or not. You can believe me or not, thatā€™s up to you.

I agree itā€™s the end listenerā€™s subjective preferences that matter most of all. I canā€™t think of any context in which math or science donā€™t matter, though. That would be terrifying! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

The comparison between Atom and SP200 is a good one because they are such similar amps, both being op-amp based. I donā€™t think itā€™s a good idea to plop in a Lyr 3, compare it to the SP200, and if it sounds better declare that itā€™s because of the power. The Lyr 3 adds the extra variables of a transistor-based (prob class A/B) amp stage and a tube-based pre stage. Itā€™s a fundamentally different type of amp than either the Atom or SP200. It wonā€™t be fair to say the Lyr 3 makes the DT880 sound better than the SP200 because of its power when thereā€™s an even bigger variable of amp type in there. Iā€™m pretty sure Zeos made that same mistake. He went from the op-amp based 789 to a much more powerful class A/B amp and said ā€œitā€™s the power!ā€ while ignoring the very real difference in amp topology.

If you like the SP200+DT880, though, awesome! Loving the music is what weā€™re about here.

5 Likes

I thought in that video or later one that he said he tried the Rebel Amp and the DT880 did not sound good on those either. That may have been in a Patreon only video for now though. I get the public and Patreon oneā€™s confused easily.

Thanks, this was the reason for linking the video. :slight_smile: topology matters a lot and amps have changed significantly in the time since the 880 was introduced. I will prob pick up an 880 when I have the variable output impedance tube amp my father and I have been looking at making done. Will be interested to see how it will compare to my 788. Even then will be able to compare to my crown with its heavy use of negative feedback to dampen the low end and see how that works as well. Will keep everyone posted on when this will happen.

1 Like

Look forward to your report. Darkvoice with Sylvania tubes + DT880 is my current go to for acoustic music like classical and jazz, and gaming.

2 Likes

Pre mod firstā€¦

2 Likes

Nice, they make good tubes and eventually Iā€™ll need an otl for comparison as well. Also to illustrate dampening, if itā€™s over 400 to 1 into 8 ohms itā€™s way more than that at 600. Like 75x greater lol. Possibly too much since it can suck the life out of the driver, but since its bass it will likely be fine. Plus this is a 30ish year old amp soā€¦ Yea more of the same era :wink: Low output impedance thoā€¦

Kinda glad I didnā€™t get the a100. That thing looks way to big for my desk

1 Like

Way big had to move it to the table under my table

1 Like

The iFi Zen is amazing. I use it 99% just as a DAC, but also sort of as a preamp because I can step between power levels with one button, add bass with another (The Bass Boost is addicting. Zā€™s hype review on the Zen is totally accurate), and use itā€™s amazing volume knob. Z himself said look at the 880 600s as a package if youā€™re considering them: Youā€™re buying say a $220 Bass X and a $180 headphones. Add in a DAC for $100 OR $200 and if your starter budget is $500-600 all in itā€™s a great choice. Personally, Iā€™d wait until the 1more Triple Drivers show up on Drop again for $125 if they ship to your country. Between those and the Zen, I canā€™t imagine a better way of starting out and only spend $260

1 Like

If there were not thousands of books on basic electronics, ā€œthe volt, watt, ampere, ohm for beginnersā€-thread would have been a thing :man_shrugging:

So if we all could now stop bodging speaker amps to headphones, that would be great :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Why does every discussion have to end at the first sight of disagreement in opinion?

The forum is turning into a passive aggressive PC Principle platform where the next person is looking to to climb onto their pedestal looking down asking for order. While its creating less visual conflict, its blocking the views from other people who are not in the "inner circleā€™

This started while ago when a thread was started for more active moderation - be careful what you wish for, you might just not recognize this forum in couple of months time.

4 Likes

I think the conflict here stems from the zeos blind disciples and the people who are not a huge fan of him. Both sides could learn to use a bit of discretion imo. Zeos and other reviewers arenā€™t the end all be all, and making fun of people who think so is fruitless and asinine.

Just have a civil discussion :stuck_out_tongue:. Not that hard. Chill bois and grills.

4 Likes

Thereā€™s no harm no foul. But people get mad over the smallest thing like NTR for example. Iā€™m definitely guilty of this too. At the end of the day it doesnā€™t really matter at least not to me.

Civil discussion on the internet is impossible. Thereā€™s always gonna be that toxic person im pretty sure we all know this by now

Personally, I donā€™t mind more strict moderation on forums with a specific purpose (audio/music in this case). Not every forum needs to be a free speech without consequences shitshow. There are already places for that people can go to. Also unironically using the ā€œthis place will be unrecognizable in a few monthsā€ is funny to say the least.

I really like Zeos. Heā€™s the main reason why I got, and enjoyed, 1000$+ of audio stuff in the last 12 months.

Itā€™s not about liking or hating someone. Itā€™s about the fact that hyping 200$ headphones and saying you need at least a big fat 230$ speaker amp the size of two AVRs was wrong.

I remember him saying in one video about inexpensive IEMs, ā€œI need to be careful about what I say because some people only got XX$ and this can very well be their last pair of IEMs they buyā€. And now heā€™s recommending to burn 200$ headphones with a 230$ speaker amp the size of a table or with 8 ohms-to-RCA-to-3.5mm adapters to 100 watt amps when the DT880 is made for maximum 100 milliwatts, which is 1000 times less than that.

Iā€™m not saying ā€œfuck Zeosā€, Iā€™m reminding everyone with not much cash or room space that a ton of people here use the liquid spark to power these. Efficiently. Safely. and itā€™s 100$. So you can enjoy these everywhere, for cheap. Bring your Liquid Spark with you on your next roadtrip, and enjoy your DT880s at your motel or friends home etc.

There are now two new, active moderators. Please flag every personal insults/etc. So the mods can see it.

And enjoy your DT880s, and your music. Thatā€™s what weā€™re here for. :headphones: :slight_smile:

5 Likes

So could use some clarification here guys. So, to be clear the special black edition of the 250 ohms dt 880 has a different tune than itā€™s original variation. Just now realized the 600 ohms also has a special black version and I am curious if this particular change in tune carries to the 600 ohm and is perhaps better. To help this question more here is the original frequencys of both the DT 880 edition 250 ohm and the DT 880 black 250 ohm

DT 880 black there is in red while the original Edition is in the green.

Anyone got the black dt 880 600 ohm can confirm this change in frequency by chance? Otherwise I may need to pick it up for myself to test it out.

1 Like

I had the dt880 600 black edition with stiffer pads! the first time I heard them I thought they were to mellow for how people said the dt880 was too bright. I donā€™t thing it is a tuning difference, more of a pad difference. I tried some silver pads that belonged to my dt990 pro (regular edition with silver pads), they sound a little bright with less thump.