đŸ”¶ Beyerdynamic DT880 600Ω

It is the micro

Aye a big difference

A Micro is a banging pairing with power hungry Beyers :+1:

Ah then I would go with that imo, that has plenty on tap and would sound great :+1:

Okay thanks!

After researching for a few weeks I finally bought this together with a Schiit Magni 3 Heresy amp and to my very surprise I don’t hear an improvement from my former wireless headset (Sennheiser R 180).
I thought these headphones would blow my former Sennheisers out of the water but sadly it’s quite the opposite.
I hear many more nuances, a bigger open feel sound stage and higher dynamic range with the Sennheisers over the DT880s. I feel it gets a bit better if I turn the volume loud?
Also with the quality of life of being more comfortable, lighter and wireless I feel they shouldn’t sound as good in comparison lol
Is there a possibility I’m doing something wrong? Would an extra DAC do a much better job?

How long have you had them so far? Nothing sounds like you are doing something wrong, what are you using as your dac just to make sure?

Just a few hours. I use both headphones directly on my PC

So you are using the pc line out into the heresy into the 880? And is the 880 600 ohm correct?

Yes I have a jack to cinch cable from the pc to the heresy and the headphones plugged into the heresy. The cable says 600 ohm too.

Gotcha, so here is what I would do, I would spend a few days exclusively with the 880, and then after those few days come back to the sennheiser and see how you feel, you want to acclimate to the headphone to get a feel for it, and then at that point if you continue to prefer the senn then return the 880

3 Likes

Ok that sounds like a plan, thanks for replying so quickly

Curious to see your thoughts on it as you get more time with it :+1:

Nope. I attempted to change the pads on my 1770s yesterday, which started out as fiddling, then more fiddling, then a YouTube search, then a phone call to the wife to figure out where the f our hairdryer is. Living in the desert, air drying is easier and less harsh on the hair, so the hairdryer was stuffed in the back of a drawer we don’t use, lol.

Anyway, totally not just you. I was surprised what an ordeal the pad swap turned out to be until I learned about the magic hairdryer trick.

1 Like

Ok, I noticed something weird. In games I couldn’t locate directions of sounds at all. Then I plugged the headphones right into the PC without the amp inbetween and it’s so much better. Day and night difference. Music seems to sound better as well, but I haven’t tried that for too long now.

There’s two things now. I’m kind of suspicious why the sound is loud enough if these are supposed to be 600 ohms. I’m at 20/100 Windows sound and it’s about maximum I need them to be.
And the other thing is why is the amp making it sound worse or less detailed? Can it be the cables?

Very very strange, I do wonder if the cable could be at fault or the amp, it should be a noticeable improvement. What motherboard do you have and are you plugging it into a line out?

Also interesting, this typically isn’t the case

MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC, I remember it said something about relatively good onboard audio but I don’t/didn’t actually have an idea if it was just gamer bait.

I don’t really trust these cables that I had lying around too. That’s probably the cheapest route before I return anything.

I have an idea. If they’re real 600 ohms they shouldn’t work on mobile phones right?

Make sure you have the amp plugged into the correct speaker line out (Line-Out/Front Speaker Out), and also disable any dsp in the audio settings of the motherboard, perhaps you had it plugged into a surround out or there was some weird dsp? Also make sure that it is set to line out in software if that exits

That might be it, but idk

It would be very lackluster on a phone. You might be able to get some volume but it won’t sound great

Just tested a relatively good new phone and old ass kindle and they both sound great out of the box. Makes me think they’re actually 32 ohms.
Then I tried it with the amp and the quality decreased as well. The high end volume is lower though.