Beyerdynamic MMX300 2nd Gen, Fostex T60RP or some other closed-back headphones for 300€?

Hello, it would be great if you could help me decide which closed-back headphones around 300€ to buy.
I have Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 which I don’t use anymore because they weren’t comfortable enough. They sounded great to me, but my ears and skull just couldn’t handle them. I’ve been using only BLON BL-03 for almost a year and I couldn’t be more happy with them but now I would like to buy some over-ear, closed-back and hopefully comfortable headphones too.

I have a Topping NX4 DSD AMP/DAC so I would like to choose headphones it can handle. (I’ m not sure about Fostex T60RP because according to Zeos’ guide (https://www.reddit.com/r/Zeos/comments/97mi5s/zguides_headphones/) they are hard to drive).

I’ve seen Zeos’ reviews on both of the headphones in the title of this post and they were both praised to high heavens. I could get T60RPs for 276€ and the MMX300s + Dekoni pads for 350€. Which of these headphones would you recommend? Do you have any other recommendations?

I’ve also looked into Monolith M1060C buy I can’t get them here (central Europe). DT770s are also recommended incredibly often but I’m afraid they would be a downgrade from my MSR7s sound-wise.
I’ve heard mixed opinions on Meze 99 Classics and I’m also a bit worried they wouldn’t be comfortable enough. I’m sure Audio-Technica ATH-M60X are fantastic headphones but they look the same as MSR7s and I still have a dent in my skull from those so no, thanks.

1 Like

Puzzling this same question. Have a line on used t60 to argon. So price is same. Have ifi Zen can, liquid spark, es100 amps. Need/considering high end closed to upgrade my coolermaster 781 closed. What did you decide? Figure the argon build is slower but lower risk. But might lead to yet another amp…

I decided to buy the MMX300s, I managed to get them and Dekoni pads for 280€. I’m quite happy with my decision, the only uncomfortable thing on them is their overkill clamping force. Otherwise they’re perfect for me. I might still get the T60RPs at some point. If I were you I would buy the Argon though.

Yeah. Slightly worried I wont have enough amp… We will see.

T60RP’s sound good with the Alpha Dogs lambskin ear pads.